epcot changing?

should they change epcot?

• Total voters

Malrora73

Apparently my previous post has sparked some debate. I expected it but I would like to explain what gave me the idea in the first place. Over the past year I have occasionally checked out a book called Physics of the Future. I have had to check it out more than once is because it is a book about technologies in development. Once I read about a technology I am interested in I do research on the web about it and spend hours reading the research instead of the book. As a result I have some idea on what future technologies are out there. One of them included some sort of device or chip that could be inserted to open up some parts of the brain that we do not use. This would basically give us the ability to move objects with our minds. While I realize this sounds a little crazy my point is this. If this is the kind of technology in our future, like it or not, those old attractions that you miss so much would not be about the future of tomorrow. They would be about the future of the past. Technology and our future changes everyday. In order to keep up with this Epcot needs edutainment rides about a future far away as well as near. Unfortunately bringing back those rides that you are nostalgic for would not accomplish that feat. That is what Future World is supposed to be about. The many possibilities of the future. Experimental Prototype Community of Tommorrow. Just so you know, with two degrees, one in Political Science and the other in International Affairs Epcot is my favorite park. One of the reasons is edutainment. I have no desire to see that aspect of the park disappear.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Unfortunately bringing back those rides that you are nostalgic for would not accomplish that feat.
Why is there a consensus that anyone who doesnt want an IP overlay is pining for old attractions to be resurrected?
one of them included some sort of device or chip that could be inserted to open up some parts of the brain that we do not use. This would basically give us the ability to move objects with our minds. While I realize this sounds a little crazy my point is this. If this is the kind of technology in our future, like it or not, those old attractions that you miss so much would not be about the future of tomorrow.
Devices being implanted in our brain is not a new concept. Aside from that, why do you assume that our future is strictly based on technology? The "old attractions" you refer to did a better job envisioning a larger idea of our future than any current attraction. Please dont mistake that as me wanting them to build another Horizons. Im just stating that the Imagineers of those days created attractions that were inspiring, thought provoking, educational and fun. Now, people just want Robert Downey Jr or Captain America to narrate an attraction.

Malrora73

Why do I think the future is all about technology? Because that's what the future has been about for the past century. Quote from Miko Kaku's book Physics of the Future by journalist Mark Sullivan asking us to imagine someone from 1900 reading a newspaper. "In his newspapers of January 1, 1900, the American found no such word as radio, for that was yet twenty years in from coming; nor “movie,” for that too was still mainly of the future; nor chauffeur, for the automobile was only just emerging and had been called “horseless carriage ….” There was no such word as aviator …. Farmers had not heard of tractors, nor bankers of the Federal Reserve System. Merchants had not heard of chain-stores nor “self-service”; nor seamen of oil-burning engines …. Ox-teams could still be seen on country roads …. Horses or mules for trucks were practically universal …. The blacksmith beneath the spreading chestnut-tree was a reality." Look how far we have come in one century. You may not think of all these things as technology but that is exactly what they were. I have not been on Frozen Ever After and I do agree that Soar in Around the World could have been done better. I am sorry if you don't like Marvel but there is no reason why the Imagineers couldn't create a fabulous edutainment ride about a particular branch of science featuring a Marvel character. Especially if in the merchandise location there were books about that brand of science and materials to build your own robot or Iron Man. Do you have any idea how something like that could inspire a young mind? Learn to think outside the box a little and be a little more positive. Positive thinking is what Disney needs.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
These are characters that 20 years from now people will still know who they are, just like Star Wars, classic Disney characters, etc.
Not everyone knows them though. I would wager that there is an extremely large audience that is completely unfamiliar with many super heroes or may be familiar with the names, but could not point out Tony Stark or Dr Strange in a picture.

I look at it this way; If Disney were to build or even refurb an attraction, it would not affect the construction time line whether they used super heroes or just a regular guy/gal or celebrity dressed up in a lab coat. People would still line up for the new attraction. Y

Yes, if it was "featuring Iron Man" it would add an element of excitement for Marvel fans. But what if the "regular guy/gal in a lab coat" was promoted and they marketed it to propel him/her to build up some popularity prior to the attraction opening? The could effectively create their own super hero scientist. That wold make for a more unique attraction (IMO) and also create a NEW revenue stream for merch, not another Marvel t-shirt that you can buy at Hot Topic.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Why do I think the future is all about technology? Because that's what the future has been about for the past century. Quote from Miko Kaku's book Physics of the Future by journalist Mark Sullivan asking us to imagine someone from 1900 reading a newspaper. "In his newspapers of January 1, 1900, the American found no such word as radio, for that was yet twenty years in from coming; nor “movie,” for that too was still mainly of the future; nor chauffeur, for the automobile was only just emerging and had been called “horseless carriage ….” There was no such word as aviator …. Farmers had not heard of tractors, nor bankers of the Federal Reserve System. Merchants had not heard of chain-stores nor “self-service”; nor seamen of oil-burning engines …. Ox-teams could still be seen on country roads …. Horses or mules for trucks were practically universal …. The blacksmith beneath the spreading chestnut-tree was a reality." Look how far we have come in one century. You may not think of all these things as technology but that is exactly what they were. I have not been on Frozen Ever After and I do agree that Soar in Around the World could have been done better. I am sorry if you don't like Marvel but there is no reason why the Imagineers couldn't create a fabulous edutainment ride about a particular branch of science featuring a Marvel character. Especially if in the merchandise location there were books about that brand of science and materials to build your own robot or Iron Man. Do you have any idea how something like that could inspire a young mind? Learn to think outside the box a little and be a little more positive. Positive thinking is what Disney needs.
First, let me pick up those names you dropped in an effort appear more intellectually enlightened. Second, I do believe that technology has,and will continue to play a vital role in our future. However, it is not, and should not be the only focus of what Future World should embody.

You ask me to "think outside the box", yet you limit your own creative thinking to inspiring children by "building an Iron man", which is more than likely a toy they already own. Ive read books on everything from The Holographic Universe to Endosymbiotic Theory. There are so many wonderful topics out there to explore. Let a child, or even an adult be inspired by something new, something they havent explored before. Sum of All Thrills was a great example of allowing people to create something and be inspired. Envision an attraction like that which allows guests to play with a genome structure, weather pattern, harmonic vibrations, etc. Kids have enough Iron Man dolls and light sabers as it is.

Animaniac93-98

It's obvious that Disney has plans to make substantial physical and thematic changes to the park, but I don't see current Disney really committing to a wholesale remake of the park, or at least one that would justify the presence of GotG, Frozen or Ratatouille.

I don't see them, for example, replacing SSE, or Test Track, or the Seas aquarium or the Land boat ride and greenhouses. There will still be (for better or worse) quite a bit of Epcot, and even EPCOT Center (at least visually) in the park. I say this not because I think those elements should be removed, but to underscore how odd they will look next to a collection of unrelated movie/character rides. Only a place like DHS or MK can really get away with having Princess dining, a GM dealership and a Star Lord coaster in the same park (maybe).

It'll be interesting to see how the park evolves, and it's popularity should be sustained by these new additions, but I find myself wanting (more than I ever have) a return to the kind of park EPCOT Center was. With the substance of both it and Disney-MGM Studios gone, it only reinforces my feeling that WDW parks should be more than just Disney character rides, if for no other reason than to add variety to the overall vacation experience and give each one some kind of clear identity.

The Empress Lilly

A 'a fabulous edutainment ride about a particular branch of science featuring a Marvel character' is fine. But not in EPCOT.

A fab ride about Barbie extolling the virtues of feminism is fine too, but not in Animal Kingdom.

montyz81

Keep the idea of educating and entertaining in the back of every change, and the park will stay unique and relevant. Having 4 parks based on Childhood Fantasy worlds, Edutainment, Nature and Movies is a great combination.
Granted, some elements break the concepts (cough... Frozen), but as long as that is a minor part of the whole, it won't spoil the whole.
I think edutainment is only one aspect of what needs to be apart of every change. Looking back at my visit to Epcot Center (specifically Future World) in 1983, I left the park at 12 years old thinking that anything was possible. I felt like if I put in the time and effort, I could really accomplish anything. The result was me working on my mom's old TRS80 and using the Basic programing language to build an animated car. Small potatoes I know, but back then that was amazingly futuristic and what an accomplishment for me. Epcot Center so inspired me to think "what if" and "I can build anything". It truly did make a dreamer out of me and I believe a majority of young people who visited back then. I firmly believe it steered people towards feeding the right wolf! I understand some of that was part of a propaganda machine however, I was smart enough to look past that propaganda and still see the possibilities of the future. It was crazy inspiring for me. That is until 1994 when the park began to transform from a showcase of possibilities to just simply a revenue generating machine. Education and dreaming were softened or even removed altogether in favor of just simply "Fun". The leaders and imaginears got complacent and realized they didn't have to work so hard for every dollar they got back for the company. Attention to detail went away. Attention to message and story got sloppy. Space opened up as the "hands on" education slowly disappeared in favor of retail racks and food services. Sponsors left because technology caught up to the futuristic messages that EC was originally trying to convey. Updates were dull boring and did not really plus the ride or experience all culminating in what we are left with today. Epcot has to inspire while educating. It has to make your jaw drop every time you walk out of a pavilion. Epcot needs to go back to building experiences versus rides that make you wonder and marvel at the possibilities instead of something that provides just enjoyment. It has to tug at your gut and make you want to go make a positive impact to the world, as Epcot Center did when it opened. This can still be achieved all while including what Disney leadership deems important to drawing in people. It can be achieved with this one simple formula:

Edutainment + Feeding your imagination and dreams + leadership's insatiable need to include IPs + an acute focus on detail/imaginearing = a park far greater then any park Universal or even Disney has ever built, it would equal......Epcot Center 2.0!
(yes I know I should have put $$$$ in there too)

brb1006

From the official Disney Parks twitter

Walt Disney Parks & Resorts Chairman Bob Chapek challenges the creative team to "dream big" on Epcot!

Could this be a sign or not?

mm121

Here's your solution. Create an obvious distinction between Tomorrowland and Future World. A definitive line can be established based on existing infrastructure and attractions. Both areas need significant work so now is as good a time as any to establish what's needed.

Tomorrowland: This will be a fantasy view of the future, grounded in intellectual property.
Future World: This will be a realistic view of the future, grounded in original concepts, history and realistic visions of the future and/or modern technologies.

This would result in wholesale changes to both locations. What I'd love to see would be a new Space Mountain building inside Epcot, near Mission: SPACE (possibly demolishing Wonders of Life). I'd also like to see an upgraded Carousel of Progress in Future World as well. If it's part of a new Horizons concept, even better. The reality is that Space Mountain in it's current Magic Kingdom state needs a new track and entirely new effects. Why not use this as an opportunity to build a new one in Epcot while running promotions on the current one before it goes away?

I want to see a peoplemover in Future World and I'd love to see Nemo removed in favor of a new Seas pavilion (or perhaps even a new concept their entirely as that's a better fit for Animal Kingdom at this point). As for Imagination, there were rumors that Dreamfinder and Figment would find their way to Tomorrowland as well as meet and greet characters. I wouldn't oppose this, but could see a logical fit in either land.

I could also see Future World being renamed to Discoveryland to better represent past, present and future.

i like the idea of closing the seas pavilion and creating an oceans attraction at AK

the current seas pavilion is very dated when compared to aquariums such as the atlanta aquarium with its huge windows and clean water

Daveeeeed

i like the idea of closing the seas pavilion and creating an oceans attraction at AK

the current seas pavilion is very dated when compared to aquariums such as the atlanta aquarium with its huge windows and clean water
The Georgia Aquarium is also the second largest Aquarium in the World and is very very good. If they can get it to Tennessee Aquarium Quality then I think that's a win. And the way they would have to approach it is very different.

mm121

The Georgia Aquarium is also the second largest Aquarium in the World and is very very good. If they can get it to Tennessee Aquarium Quality then I think that's a win. And the way they would have to approach it is very different.
haven't been to the Chattanooga one since i was a kid so dont really remember it

but i'd say when it comes to aquariums its quality over number of gallons

and it definitely needs a rebuild rather than a renovation as some things just cant be changed with just a renovation you cant modernize the entire structure and change the layout/design

matt9112

In Disney's defense, most aquariums pale in comparison to the Atlanta aquarium.

i lived outside Atlanta and LOVED it. so much amaze. theirs prob no economical way to fix the seas pavilion. keep theme and get rid of 85% of live animals and do a really cool E ticket dark ride?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom