Epcot Center Drive closed due to major accident

The Mom

Premium Member
I think people have an interest in this sort of thing because they want to think that they have more control over their lives than they do. You read about a tragedy, and want to know exactly how it happened, so you can either prevent it, or think that it won't won't happen to you because you ____ (fill in the blank.)

There may be things that we can do to lessen the chance of bad things happening to us or our loved ones, but sometimes things happen due to circumstances beyond our control.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
All I ask is to please drive safely on property.

Do not STOP in the roadway because you missed your turn or that you need a photo of a sign.

I cannot tell you how many accidents Ive narrowly avoided in that half-mile stretch from the I-4 merge through Overpass Road from people stopping to cut across three lanes of traffic or stopping to take a photo.

These things happen constantly and sadly, someone lost their life because of it.

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
I think people have an interest in this sort of thing because they want to think that they have more control over their lives than they do. You read about a tragedy, and want to know exactly how it happened, so you can either prevent it, or think that it won't won't happen to you because you ____ (fill in the blank.)

There may be things that we can do to lessen the chance of bad things happening to us or our loved ones, but sometimes things happen due to circumstances beyond our control.
Bingo! It's human nature to try to make sense out of any tragedy. I think the previous references to who was "at fault" were much more about understanding how the accident happened rather than laying blame.

The Mom

Premium Member
I forgot to add that people are more interested in the details if they empathize with the situation. If I read about a climber dying on Mt Everest, I would think it's sad but would not be interested in the details, because I will never be in that situation. If I were a mountain climber, I would be very interested in as much information as possible. The same with a skiing accident. I might be more interested than someone who has never skied, especially if I'm familiar with the ski resort. And so on.

I would venture to say that the vast majority of people on this board have been on the road where this accident took place, so it is very easy for us to imagine ourselves in a similar scenario. And we might want as much detail as possible in the hopes that something will make us think that it can't happen to us. Even if we're wrong.

luv

ITA with The Mom. Many people are so thrown by bad stuff happening that they need to figure out a way that it couldn't happen to them. "I am better/smarter/more careful, so it wouldn't have happened to me. I don't have to worry. My world is secure." It's really fear that triggers it. They're just scared people talking themselves down. Sadly, it comes out as Blaming The Victim.

It is entirely possible that this woman was forced to brake. Tourist driving, medical problem, car trouble...any number of things totally out of her control may have forced her into that situation. We don't know, yet (and may never know) why she did it.

It is also possible that she made a quick, stupid mistake. I drove through a red light once. I've hit the brakes for animals before checking the rear-view mirror. Most people have done some stupid thing when driving. Most of us just drive away, none the worse for wear.

Whatever happened, this woman paid the price with her life and deserves our sympathy.

Tom

Beta Return

Do not STOP in the roadway because you missed your turn or that you need a photo of a sign.

I cannot tell you how many accidents Ive narrowly avoided in that half-mile stretch from the I-4 merge through Overpass Road from people stopping to cut across three lanes of traffic or stopping to take a photo.

These things happen constantly and sadly, someone lost their life because of it.

Hence the signs along the road near the arches, forbidding motorists from stopping.

Tom

Beta Return
It is entirely possible that this woman was forced to brake. Tourist driving, medical problem, car trouble...any number of things totally out of her control may have forced her into that situation. We don't know, yet (and may never know) why she did it.

It is also possible that she made a quick, stupid mistake. I drove through a red light once. I've hit the brakes for animals before checking the rear-view mirror. Most people have done some stupid thing when driving. Most of us just drive away, none the worse for wear.

Whatever happened, this woman paid the price with her life and deserves our sympathy.

Excellent points. And it is almost a 100% certainty that the cause of this accident is covered in your first two paragraphs. She was driving a 90's Buick, if reports are correct, so the chance of a mechanical malfunction is pretty high on the list.

And you're right about stupid mistakes....or simply accidents that occur when you're doing something else safe, like checking your mirrors. Automobile accidents often result from something that happened in a split second, and glances in mirrors - which is encouraged as a part of safe driving - is the cause for many accidents. A lot can happen in front of you while checking the conditions behind you.

I'm happy that nobody on here has jumped to point blame at anyone, which is what usually happens in these threads. As others have stated, this is a healthy discussion (on a discussion board) about something tragic that could have happened to any of us, at a place we all hold dear.

DizFiz

My thoughts and prayers go out to friends & family... So sad to see tragedy strike especially at WDW. Traffic is bad enough when it's packed let alone when a road is closed at WDW.

Krsta Richline

First off.... My condolences to the family of the lady who died. Such a terrible tragedy. Second... I believe that once an accident that involves a big vehicle, weather a bus or tractor trailer, the first thing a lot of people come to believe is it was the big vehicles fault. And I know I have heard that in this instance the car had stop in the middle of the road. But, a lot of people have to understand that when it comes to a big vehicle being involved in a small car accident, a lot of the time its not the big vehicles fault. Busses and big rigs weigh so much, that it takes them a lot longer to stop if.... a car cuts them off or if a car stops short in front of them or if a car is stopped in the middle of the road. Some people are oblivious to what it takes to stop some of these vehicles, especially with 30 some people on it and their luggage and then the weight of the bus. I'm sure that once the bus driver saw this he/she did everything in their power to avoid this, hence the skid marks on the road. And please understand I'm not trying to make light of this, a lady lost her life and a family lost a loved one. But until the facts come out we can't place blame on anyone.

nytimez

We all know not to stop in a driving lane so that negates that. Most of us aren't going to be a Mears driver, so there's that. So knowing how and why this happened is a moot point as to why we're discussing this.

We don't know why she stopped - if she was negligent and simply wanted to take a picture or check a map - or if her car had some kind of failure. Or if a squirrel was in the road. Or some other reason.

We don't know when she stopped. Suddenly, right in front of the bus... or had she been there a few minutes.

And we don't know why the driver failed to stop. Because he didn't have enough time? Because he didn't see her in time? Because he took his eyes off the road? Because the bus itself had faulty brakes?

Maybe you don't want to know these things. Maybe these things are not relevant to you. But that does not necessarily make them "moot" for the rest of us who want to understand what happened.

bethymouse

More bad press for Disney.:cry:
Prayers to all involved...
I have always said that WDW is a city among itself. It is crazy busy, and it will only get worse. It seems just as bad as I-4 or I-95 even!:in pain:

nytimez

More bad press for Disney.:cry:
Prayers to all involved...
I have always said that WDW is a city among itself. It is crazy busy, and it will only get worse. It seems just as bad as I-4 or I-95 even!:in pain:

I actually think given the the number of people driving the roads who are unfamiliar with them, the number of people speeding to get to work (or to their hotel) and the number of people checking maps, reading signs, stopping, etc - plus all the usual things people do in their cars everywhere, like phone calls and text messages - the roads around WDW are remarkably safer than I would guess/expect.

And given the amount of miles and number of people who ride on Disney buses, I think the overall safety record of Disney transportation is probably pretty remarkable.

For those reasons, I really want to know how/why this happened and what all the variables were here.

(Note: I don't have hard numbers to back any of the above up... this is just the impression I get from my own observations.)

Mr Bill

One thought that can't help but cross my mind with this story: How many injuries would we be talking about in addition to a fatality if this had been a Disney bus? Along with 36 seated passengers, you'd have 20 more standing in the middle of the aisle when this happened.

Slipknot

I'm surprised something like this didn't happen sooner, more so where the entrance to Disney property is (I-4 exit/off ramp and no stopping signs) and the off ramps to Buena Vista Drive are. People drive like idiots (tourists and CMs/locals alike). Heck I've had to swerve out of the way of official Disney vehicles to avoid being involved in accidents.

My sympathies to all involved.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
I'm surprised something like this didn't happen sooner, more so where the entrance to Disney property is (I-4 exit/off ramp and no stopping signs) and the off ramps to Buena Vista Drive are. People drive like idiots (tourists and CMs/locals alike). Heck I've had to swerve out of the way of official Disney vehicles to avoid being involved in accidents.

My sympathies to all involved.

Thats exactly where this happened, at the end of that stretch just before overpass road.

And I agree with you

Admiral01

Premium Member
It's not just out-of-state tags causing problems in Washington D.C. We were traveling through and two locals came racing up the median shoulder as if chasing one another.

Yeah, that happens too. Locals aren't much better than the tourists. I consider myself a transplant, from the midwest, and I therefore know how to drive. I am amazed by the number of locals who don't know how to drive in the rain. Not hard rain...just drizzles. 20 mph under the limit, hazards on, no use of turn signals...

bhg469

I once rear ended a gentleman on a highway offramp because he stopped to look for a spider he saw in his car.. This is buffalo, no poisonous spiders here.. No one was hurt but his actions cause the accident yet I was at fault. Its awful that whatever happened cost this person their life but you make a very valid point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom