Epcot asthetic changes and more (9/19 pics!)

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Hey guys, Epcot is currently undergoing many projects to change the general look of common areas in the park.

Horticulture is working overtime, stripping entire planters of vegetation and putting in new trees and bushes. Also, new signage is going up and old signage is being torn down.

So.. Let's start at the begining:

918epc1.jpg

This new sign direct people to enter through the canopy/awning covered bag check area that is still being constructed. It leads into the center park of the Epcot entrance plaza, near the monorail station.

Under the station, similar sign:

918epc2.jpg

It directs people to the other side of the monorail station, so essentially people approach from either side and converge at the station where the central area is now being defined.

If you go to the right, they've installed permanent security tables under the monorail beam:

918epc3.jpg

And once you're into the little central area, you can see that they've changed many of the signs:

918epc18.jpg

The ones by the monorail entrance direct you to package pickup, incase anyone wanted to know.

And now we actually head into the park, where the directional signs have been stripped of temporary SSE themed plates (to cover the LaL directionals) and the left side has M:S while the right directs to restrooms. The rears (as you exit the park) have the bottom directionals left blank.

918epc4.jpg

More in a few, lots to see today :)

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
I'll sort of work my way around and the back to SSE.. but Innoventions Plaza is seeing many changes..

Fountainview lacks the canopy but is still extremely popular. It is listed on the times guides as Fountain View Ice Cream 12-8:30pm:

918epc9.jpg

New flowers by SSE:

918epc8.jpg

Aren't they pretty?

918epc14.jpg

Innoventions is working on installing new signs..

918epc21.jpg

And the fountain has been stripped of most of its landscaping.

918epc13.jpg

A few very short plants remain, but the majority of the surrounding planter has been completely stripped of all vegetation. The Fountain View actually "views" the fountain now that the taller plants are gone.

918epc10.jpg

Over in Future World West, the potties are boarded up and there is tons o signage:

918epc11.jpg

And lookie, Japan appears to be tarpless - whoo hoo for that wedding party.

918epc12.jpg

A few more bits around the park and even MK, then back to SSE.

Expo_Seeker40

The EPCOT Center flower logo looks nice!

The new signage I guess shows that the rumors of them renaming the park EPCOT Center isn't really that true.

.....all they got to do imo is remove the canopies from the innoventions....and paint the buildings a different color....more blue!!! and then the plaza will be quite asthetically pleasing. :p

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Over at Wonders of Life, no discernable changes in the building itself or the interior, but the cylindrical fountain has had its lighting removed and replaced with rocks - as has the ex-DNA strand pond.

918epc22.jpg

Horticulture, hard at work, has also installed new saplings in the planters.

918epc23.jpg

A magical journey through time and space later, photo from the MK showing how the new Contemporary wing is visible from Fantasyland:

918epc19.jpg

I finally got on HM. It was very cool. I'm very impressed.

Astro Orbitor was down for refurb, and they appear to have torn up all the electrical in the ground leading to the elevator. Wouldn't have stopped to notice i was walking on painted plywood (meant to match the concrete) if they hadn't left this door wide open:

918epc20.jpg

That stripe on the ground is all plywood, and runs to rocket tower plaza.

Enough of that, back to Epcot.

Megacities commeth soon:

918epc7.jpg

And i'll have the rest of the SSE photos up in a few.

Epcot82Guy

Thanks for the pics! Things look good.

I noticed the logo, too. I really like the silver Epcot lettering and logo. I really hope that is a harkening of things to come. I think it's really classic, stylish, yet not so retro.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Okie dokie, gonna try to make the SSE stuff as orderly as possible..

First off, new trees and other plants for the queue area:

918epc16.jpg

And those really tall palm trees were yanked out, not to mention much of the plants cut back from the park berm (where many of SSE's lights are located and have been blocked by the plants for ages).

918epc17.jpg

New plants around the back of the building near project tomorrow..

918epc15.jpg

And the entrance legs are being painted..

918epc6.jpg

Not sure what the final look is going to be...

918epc5.jpg

but they're obviously not the same color as the other supports currently..

918epc24.jpg

And i think that's about it. Parks are pretty dead, Soarin had FP at like 3pm and a fairly short wait. I'll check my camera, but i think that's all the photos.

Figment1986

Great photos so far, I dont see much problem with the funnel since it works at Studios, MK, and AK... as long as they staff it enough.

cdunbar

O merf darling what would we do without your FANtastic updates....I guess we might be like a drug addict going through withdraws :lookaroun

Expo_Seeker40

Merf you're getting married?

Thanks for the pics!

Ohhhhhh the palm trees are gone.....but hey....it looked completely odd with the tall original palm trees and the new ones on the other side.

I like how the square trees are gone. The clashed with the curves of the SSE pavilion. The new palm trees and foliage work nicely. Also the new palm trees planted on the sides of SSE will be nice and tall in a matter of a few years or so.

I just hope they tear out those trees infront of SSE....put palm trees in them again and paint the leave a legacy legs blue again! :sohappy:

So many nice things happening in the RIGHT direction for EPCOT! :wave:

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Oh, no, not getting married. Someone on another thread mentioned they were getting married in the Japan pavilion on October 1st.

Figment82

I'm really going to miss those enormously tall palm trees that were in that planter by the bathrooms. They made for some great photo opportunities. But, I must admit they have always scared me in the way they were so tall and so skinny - all it would take was a good gust of wind and I imagine they would fall right into SSE. I wonder if the ones by the Towers will be next - they are of a similar height.

Epcot is looking gorgeous, and I love the new signs - they match nicely with the ones that have been around for a while (most notably the bus stop locations one, etc). And thank goodness they have finally gotten rid of the LED screen ones by the monorail - did they ever work properly?

Expo_Seeker40

Figment82 I agree....I loved taking photos of those tall trees....but it was looking odd with the smaller trees on one side and the supertall trees on the other, but they will mature steadily. :sohappy:

We need palm trees INFRONT of SSE now!

4p1ttua.jpg

Captain Hank

Great pics! I'll second Figment82's joy in the removal of the horrible LED sign by the monorail station. Epcot will look great for its 25th.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom