Entitled Manchild/Horrible Father Harasses Cast Member

The Empress Lilly

Honestly let the guy ride. It’s a Carousel. It’s silly for both the guest and the cm’s to make such a fuss about it.

The last day of the steam trains a Cm tried to argue with a manager about letting us ride the last train from Main Street to fantasyland. The manager had to tell him like 3 times we could ride and to stop worrying about it.
Yes, I'm all for understanding that rules serve a purpose, not the rules themselves.

But there are a few problems: the nice, polite guests who were told the ride was closed bid the CM a good night and went home. They didn't get to ride. But the rude loudmouth does. Or, guest stampede, everybody else wants on too. Or, guests walking by who couldn't ride at another ride start screaming unfairness.
Or, the CM who slips late guests in gets berated or worse by the manager.

In another setting, in a shop, I once served a late guest who arrived after closing and begged me she needed a certain book. Manager walks in, starts yelling at me that I was told not to serve after closing. What does guest do? She starts sucking up to the manager: 'oh, yes, I also thought it was weird, but he (points at me) told me it was okay!'
Such is workfloor reality.
(If I ever see her again without witnesses around I'll kill her...)

DVCakaCarlF

I would hate to have to deal with the public (all their issues) hours on end. If I were the CM saying "don't I deserve to go home?" would be mild compared to what I would have said to this jerk.
As far as I’m concerned, it’s a job and you are getting paid. No one needs to hear about your personal at work. It has no bearing on the situation.

Still doesn’t excuse the guest being as .

Lilofan

Yes but isn't this the new American way. Complain so much and get things handed to you. (sarcasm but the sentence is true in a way)
One way to describe the it is an "instrumental complaint". Business don't want to lose you as a customer and potential others if you voice your complaint on social media for example. Some are professionals at it and have perfected it like an art form.

Club Cooloholic

I felt worse for the kid. You go to WDW, probably have a great time and then you ruin the experience and memory over a merry go round? I mean this is a ride that you can do at pretty much dozens of sites per state, the WDW is very nice but not anything special.
This guy tried to bully and whine his way in and what's worse he viewed this video and wasn't embarrassed by himself? He then takes it and puts it on the internet, total lack of self awareness.

The Empress Lilly

One way to describe the it is an "instrumental complaint". Business don't want to lose you as a customer and potential others if you voice your complaint on social media for example. Some are professionals at it and have perfected it like an art form.
I must sadly confirm. I ran a business, I too would just take the loss with obnoxious guests. That's a downside of social media and review culture. Even if I'm 100% right, the only thing other potential clients read on the internet is 'drama there, avoid this place'. So your goal is to prevent public drama itself.

Club Cooloholic

I must sadly confirm. I ran a business, I too would just take the loss with obnoxious guests. That's a downside of social media and review culture. Even if I'm 100% right, the only thing other potential clients read on the internet is 'drama there, avoid this place'. So your goal is to prevent public drama itself.
It's very true. Fortunately, he didn't just post a something saying "jerk CMs won't let my kid ride for no reason". Instead he kindly posted that video which pretty much exposed him, and I don't think too many people would side with him.

mergatroid

Not defending the guy but I expected a lot more anger than that from the title. Perhaps my judgement isn't normal as I've been abused by the public in my job far worse. Once had a guy say to me "I hope you get #&*$ing cancer you #@&£ and suffer for months feeling sick after your treatment. Then I hope you get better, just so you can get @#+&ing cancer again and that time die slowly". That wasn't the norm, but did happen. Bizarrely I had to admire the effort he put into it, wanting me to get better just so I could get it again.

Back to the Disney idiot. He's a terrible father figure for trying to blackmail the CM emotionally by asking the kid if they wanted to ride the way he did. The second CM shouldn't have gotten involved ideally, the other CM was even signalling her to stop as it didn't help anything. Of course the guy's an idiot and sets a terrible example. The first CM possibly could have discretely let the kid on, perhaps though they've been instructed not to under any circumstances. The second CM doesn't deserve to get in trouble, however for the sake of keeping the peace she could have acted differently and appeared to be the bigger person.

Mesmer92

In the Parks
No
I teach high school and when people ask me how I casually handle disgruntled parents and students, I remind them I used to be a Disney Cast Member. I dealt with all kinds of verbal abuse in my three years at WDW, especially when I was a coordinator; and while it sucked in has helped me immensely in this new profession. You just learn that vile creatures like this aren't worth your time and energy. They're just mentally unstable pathetic humans.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Normally I wouldn't doubt it, but ever since covid, there does seem to be a change of course. The days of Disney coddling their worst guests might be finally ending.
Eh, I dunno. I just had a group of friends going to HS a couple weeks ago who weren’t able to get on RotR because their magic bands didn’t work. So they went to guest relations and got them in group 30. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
I agree. But literally it wouldn’t have hurt one thing to let him ride.

It was silly of him to make a big deal about it. It was even sillier of the cm’s to fight back when they had room in the cue.

So this is actually a fairly common situation at attraction entrances at closing time. If one person complains, and the employee lets them in, then another guest sees it, and you either have to let them in too or you've only created a second complaint by attempting to fix the first complaint. Then it becomes unfair and arbitrary. Then, where does it stop? The ONLY fair way to do it is to cut the line right at the announced park closing time. CM's usually do wait a few moments to let everyone in eyesight that is clearly walking toward it in. Something tells me this guy wasn't right around the corner "looking for the entrance"

If they wanted to ride it so badly, they had the entire day. But the reality is, it's just a carousel. The man wasn't upset about not getting to ride it, he was making a scene over being told no.

Another thing that needs to emphasized is this is precisely what operations management wants their attractions hosts to do. They would never be faulted for doing this (as in cut the line off and refuse everyone else, not complaining about going home).
Eh, I dunno. I just had a group of friends going to HS a couple weeks ago who weren’t able to get on RotR because their magic bands didn’t work. So they went to guest relations and got them in group 30. 🤷🏻‍♂️
did they ask nicely? I’m talking about Disney’s noted tendency to reward bad behavior.

Yeah, you lost me here. 🤦‍♂️ Anyway. . .

Disclaimer: I always wear a mask when I'm out.

Please go deny science elsewhere. I suggest r/the_donald

TrainsOfDisney

Another thing that needs to emphasized is this is precisely what operations management wants their attractions hosts to do. They would never be faulted for doing this (as in cut the line off and refuse everyone else, not complaining about going home).
If only it were always that easy.

When I worked for a tourist railroad I would have the president of the railroad scold me for NOT delaying a train to board passengers (he saw the $$$ from the passengers) or I would have the Operations manager scold me for delaying the train.

im gonna guess the cm’s will get in trouble, makes the company look bad imho. also makes the guest look bad but that’s on him.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom