Entertainment cuts

Kman101

It has a lot to do with budgets. The company expected to ride off the goodwill of customers that will pay to see anything new and accounted for increased spending, regardless of all their cuts. The company has a giant reserve of money and doesn’t have to fire employees to fix their mistake of overcalculating demand for this land that already had cuts.

Some Disney fans just don't want to hear the ugly truths about the company. They don't seem to understand you can still love the parks but also be aware of how they operate ... and frankly I think some defend just to get a reaction from some of us ... lol

Tony the Tigger

It has a lot to do with budgets. The company expected to ride off the goodwill of customers that will pay to see anything new and accounted for increased spending, regardless of all their cuts. The company has a giant reserve of money and doesn’t have to fire employees to fix their mistake of overcalculating demand for this land that already had cuts.

My point was they still have to meet budgets regardless of “giant reserves of money.”

That’s real life.

brb1006

So, live entertainment cuts just in recent memory (by no means a complete list):

Disneyland: Pixarmonic Orchestra, Golden Horseshoe Improv Show, Newsboys Trolley Show, Farley the Fiddler, Firehouse Band, Jedi Training Academy, Lion King show cut dancers, Frozen performances cut back significantly

WDW: Muppets Great Moments in American History, Rivers of Light live performers, Talking Mickey, Royal Majesty Makers, DJ's show at Lightning McQueen, the Giggle Gang, March of the First Order, Move it Shake it cutbacks, Pirate Tutorial, Citizens of Hollywood cutbacks

Not to mention...
-Galaxy's Edge entire set of entertainment being reduced to bare minimum of meet and greets on both coasts
-the Main Street Theatre cancellation at WDW
-3 years without a nighttime parade and more likely to come at WDW, Paint the Night just sitting in storage at DL
-the new parade at Disneyland only getting greenlit due to being built on the chassises of Soundsational, and the extremely cheap "Bandtastic Cavalcade" being used as a stopgap for a real parade (though the live music is appreciated)
-and of course, enormous cuts to character meet and greets over the years, at least at WDW. I know personnel has shifted around for things like Mickey, Princess Fairytale Hall, etc, but the lack of variety is stunningly disappointing compared to just 10 years ago.

Kind of disheartening to see it all in one place. Clearly, Chapek has no respect for live entertainment. I think he might have just cut back a bit too much this time for me, but I have a feeling this is far from the end of the cuts. Walt would be ashamed... Michael Eisner might even be.
You forgot to mention the various Disney characters that got cut from doing meet and greets at the parks at WDW .

Now that I think about it. Did WDW or DL have this many cuts during the Eisner era?

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Funny thing about it. Is that --- as Disney cuts, other parks build.. Heck even Orlando (LBV) in general has upped it's game. As someone with both Disney and Uni AP's......I find myself spending a day/or three more every year at Uni. Be up to probably a week more when the new park opens.

It's okay Disney. Just keep on keeping on. And for me what used to be 80% on Disney property will eventually become 40%. I'll still hang out at your parks every once in a while - just not as much as I used to.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Indeed. Very well said.
Some Disney fans just don't want to hear the ugly truths about the company. They don't seem to understand you can still love the parks but also be aware of how they operate ... and frankly I think some defend just to get a reaction from some of us ... lol
correct...also, Some Disney fans don’t seem to understand that you aren’t bound to spend on Disney product because “that’s what we do”...a discerning consumer would go along way to strengthen the product by occasionally rejecting it.
My point was they still have to meet budgets regardless of “giant reserves of money.”

That’s real life.
When you are attempting to generate emotional attachment that causes the customers to repeatedly consume the EXACT SAME product?

It’s a bit different than GE selling lightbulbs, no?
Nor for back seat drivers. 😉
Theory is for back seat economists. Let the real world determine where the car goes 😉

brb1006

Is this is sarcasm? That’s what “really matters” to whom? The company or the guests?

This little Muppet History show was simple, felt natural, true to the spirit of muppets, unexpected (it creates a fun thrill of surprise when stumbling upon it!) and cannot be expensive to run.

WDW live entertainment is so bare bones. I saw Mickey and the Magician in Paris over Spring Break and was reminded how little they try in Orlando. Keep in mind, that show is at their Studios park (that everyone complains about) in an indoor theatre similar to HS Mermaid set-up and featured Mickey, Disney songs, and enchanted objects. The show was staged like a Broadway show with fantastic practical effects, quick changes, etc. I’ve also seen Big Band Beat in Tokyo, which is on an even grander scale, not to mention the atmospheric entertainment and little and medium-sized shows that are everywhere there. There is just so darn much of it and it’s all fun. Disney IS capable of creating and offering original magical content in Orlando they just choose not to do it. It feels like Disney doesn’t think WDW guests are discerning, but I think they are reaching the tipping point.

I would love to see the actual financial data on this situation. I’m pretty sure the profit margin on my family of five’s little weekend trip would’ve financed the Muppets run for a week. We (literally! not figuratively!) could’ve gone back to Paris for the same price.

Here's a clip Big Band Beat for those that never seen it. It's from a TV Special since no video recording is allowed.

Mickey and the Magician

they even did a special ending for Mickey's 90th Birthday.

brb1006

Banjo Brothers and Bob at MK
Storybook Circus Jugglers at MK
Fife & drum Corp at Epcot
World Showcase Players at Epcot

Was a few years ago but you might as well add the Saxaphone quartet to MK. And push the trashcan.
Don't forget the Living statues that used to be at Italy.

At least they are still at Disney Springs and at Epcot during the Festival of Arts.

The Grand Inquisitor

Here we go again.. Disney raises prices on tickets and hotels, charges premiums for once-included operating hours, opens unfinished land, erodes relationship with guest and attendance drops and no one within the company will look in the mirror. This results in cutbacks that further erode the trust and guest relationship.

I am sick in tired of Chapek's budget cuts and pure laziness. This is why Disney fails, they think the fans will always stick by them no matter what they do.

Jlasoon

Everyone needs to pray Disney+ is successful. Disney essentially bet the company on this upcoming product. The amount of debt accumulation over the last 2 years is staggering. $80B in liabilities, $44B due over the next year & a measly $6B in cash reserve LOL - Expect a massive liquidation sale in the not too distant future if Disney+ fails. The freakout over SWGE is real! It was suppose to drive a lot more $$$. Pressure is on Disney+ now.

The suits in Burbank really screwed the pooch on this one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom