Entertainment cuts

Smooth

In all fairness... there are more costs involved than just the flat hourly rate. Employers also pay into Social Security, payroll tax, workmens comp, insurance, etc.. Nevertheless, this does seem to be just another slice and dice move by those ' sharp pencil guys'.

misfitdoll

Absent a direct comparison of all the entertainment added during the same time period, the litany of what has been discontinued is pretty meaningless - just another context to bash the company out of context.

I challenge anyone to open themselves to all the entertainment options that someone (anyone) appreciates and attend them all within a two week vacation so that they have time left that they cannot fill with some entertainment being offered. You won't run out of entertainment, and that's what really matters.
Is this is sarcasm? That’s what “really matters” to whom? The company or the guests?

This little Muppet History show was simple, felt natural, true to the spirit of muppets, unexpected (it creates a fun thrill of surprise when stumbling upon it!) and cannot be expensive to run.

WDW live entertainment is so bare bones. I saw Mickey and the Magician in Paris over Spring Break and was reminded how little they try in Orlando. Keep in mind, that show is at their Studios park (that everyone complains about) in an indoor theatre similar to HS Mermaid set-up and featured Mickey, Disney songs, and enchanted objects. The show was staged like a Broadway show with fantastic practical effects, quick changes, etc. I’ve also seen Big Band Beat in Tokyo, which is on an even grander scale, not to mention the atmospheric entertainment and little and medium-sized shows that are everywhere there. There is just so darn much of it and it’s all fun. Disney IS capable of creating and offering original magical content in Orlando they just choose not to do it. It feels like Disney doesn’t think WDW guests are discerning, but I think they are reaching the tipping point.

I would love to see the actual financial data on this situation. I’m pretty sure the profit margin on my family of five’s little weekend trip would’ve financed the Muppets run for a week. We (literally! not figuratively!) could’ve gone back to Paris for the same price.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

I don't know if I would classify Farley as a cut since it seemed he voluntarily retired.

But I will add to your list for WDW - Scoop Sanderson at MK, Off Kilter and MoRockin at Epcot. I know there's been more in recent years that I can't think of at the moment.

Banjo Brothers and Bob at MK
Storybook Circus Jugglers at MK
Fife & drum Corp at Epcot
World Showcase Players at Epcot

Was a few years ago but you might as well add the Saxaphone quartet to MK. And push the trashcan.

bryanfze55

Is this is sarcasm? That’s what “really matters” to whom? The company or the guests?

This little Muppet History show was simple, felt natural, true to the spirit of muppets, unexpected (it creates a fun thrill of surprise when stumbling upon it!) and cannot be expensive to run.

WDW live entertainment is so bare bones. I saw Mickey and the Magician in Paris over Spring Break and was reminded how little they try in Orlando. Keep in mind, that show is at their Studios park (that everyone complains about) in an indoor theatre similar to HS Mermaid set-up and featured Mickey, Disney songs, and enchanted objects. The show was staged like a Broadway show with fantastic practical effects, quick changes, etc. I’ve also seen Big Band Beat in Tokyo, which is on an even grander scale, not to mention the atmospheric entertainment and little and medium-sized shows that are everywhere there. There is just so darn much of it and it’s all fun. Disney IS capable of creating and offering original magical content in Orlando they just choose not to do it. It feels like Disney doesn’t think WDW guests are discerning, but I think they are reaching the tipping point.

I would love to see the actual financial data on this situation. I’m pretty sure the profit margin on my family of five’s little weekend trip would’ve financed the Muppets run for a week. We (literally! not figuratively!) could’ve gone back to Paris for the same price.

I think Orlando guests tend to be less discerning on average since so many of them are once-in-a-lifetime visitors. But Disney has been cutting entertainment at Disneyland too, which is mostly made up of very discerning locals. Chapek is just cheap.

Jim Chandler

How come everyone is complaining all the time about WDW? The changes come across as cost cutting. However do you think that maybe the reviews for these shows and numbers watching were not worth the cost?
If you offer a product and it does not sell what would you do? When I was there in June the attendance in some shows did not fill half of the seats available. Then do you really want to stand outside in the sun with temps in the 90's and humidity at 80% to watch a show?

Timmay

I’m beginning to think everyone here is a goldfish. Every year Disney has a small round of layoffs in Sept, every year (or nearly every year) Disney announces entertainment cuts in September (with new ones announced for Spring launches before Christmas) and every time @Magenta Panther mentions his dislike of muppets ppl attack him.

This has happened before. It will happen again.
Stop. You’re going to confuse the “SWGE-is-a-flop” crowd.

rkleinlein

The four parks at WDW and Disneyland CA are the 5 most visited theme parks on the planet and the most expensive to get in. The masterminds running the place have even figured out schemes to make people pay what amounts to a second admission for the privilege of staying in the parks until they close (parties, extra magic hours), and even to shell out hundreds of dollars for a place to watch fireworks while eating a cupcake--which throngs of people willingly do. They pay double, triple, or quadruple what they would pay at a comparable hotel for the benefit of staying on-site. This place is making money hand over fist. I know Galaxy's Edge is expensive, but so was Diagon Alley at Universal with half the attendance of the Magic Kingdom. What's the problem here? Why so many cutbacks?

I wonder how much they pay each year for the Fastpass system compared to entertainment.

Last edited:

Mickeyboof

The four parks at WDW and Disneyland CA are the 5 most visited theme parks on the planet and the most expensive to get in. The masterminds running the place have even figured out schemes to make people pay what amounts to a second admission for the privilege of staying in the parks until they close (parties, extra magic hours), and even to shell out hundreds of dollars for a place to watch fireworks while eating a cupcake--which throngs of people willingly do. They pay double, triple, or quadruple what they would pay at a comparable hotel for the benefit of staying on-site. This place is making money hand over fist. I know Galaxy's Edge is expensive, but so was Diagon Alley at Universal with half the attendance of the Magic Kingdom. What's the problem here? Why so many cutbacks?

I wonder how much they pay each year for the Fastpass system compared to entertainment.

I would say that WDW is guilty of the above, but Disneyland is still mostly a class act.

Besides the upcharge of MaxPass, which isn’t the worse because Fastpass is still free, there aren’t many upcharge events. And the parks regularly close at midnight!

Disney World is a just a theme park. Disneyland is still a masterpiece of (the real kind of, not the fake Star Wars kind of) immersive entertainment.

mm52200

Original Poster
How come everyone is complaining all the time about WDW? The changes come across as cost cutting. However do you think that maybe the reviews for these shows and numbers watching were not worth the cost?
If you offer a product and it does not sell what would you do? When I was there in June the attendance in some shows did not fill half of the seats available. Then do you really want to stand outside in the sun with temps in the 90's and humidity at 80% to watch a show?
Let us know in a year when they haven’t added back entertainment to replace most of these offerings how that’s going.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom