Entertainment cuts

doctornick

Clearly they're making these cuts so they can finance the spectacular entertainment coming to Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge.

Sarcasm aside, I was wondering if indeed that is the case. Because, y'know, a company the size of Disney can't afford to simply add entertainment, it must be a replacement for something cut.

KevinPage

TDO: “attendance was soft this quarter and we didn’t make as many billions this quarter as we did last. Stockholders will rebel. What do we do?”

Chapek: “cut front line CM hours of course. You middle management people who came up with price increases and other boneheaded ideas don’t have to pay a price. Stick it to the low man on the totem pole”.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
CM Layoffs
that was the second?
I thought that was the first.
me too
Of course this is in response to the disaster that has been GE, all domestic parks are in danger right now. A forecasted recession to look forward to and its obvious that TWDC is going to have to work their *** off to keep the parks profitable. Also of course entertainment is the first to get cut, the yearly payroll for a single character is well above a quarter of a million dollars.
Nah...they always cut maximum overhead when possible...the excuses don’t matter much. And raise prices like it’s your job. That’s how you operate in the blue ocean.
Those are all smokescreens...

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
TDO: “attendance was soft this quarter and we didn’t make as many billions this quarter as we did last. Stockholders will rebel. What do we do?”

Chapek: “cut front line CM hours of course. You middle management people who came up with price increases and other boneheaded ideas don’t have to pay a price. Stick it to the low man on the totem pole”.

These are seasonal adjustments made to enhance the guest experience and offer opportunities for future premium and immersive entertainment options for the valued guest. #ThanksSWGE

General Mayhem

Gee, I don't know, why don't you ask all the moviegoers who shunned the second Muppets revival film, thus making it a flop? ;)

People outgrow things. At least, most people do, especially childish things that don't stand the test of time (without a lot of Disney money propping them up). Maybe some folks ought to ask themselves why they still LIKE certain things, rather than bash the ones whose tastes have improved and thus moved on?
Like Oswald the Lucky Rabbit? Hypocrisy it's all around this place...

Marlins1

The Muppets show was a really good add - I just don’t get how cutting it can turn the profit dial at all for a company of Disney’s size - such short term thinking. I remember as a kid MK was open until midnight or 1 AM and the crowds were virtually gone. My buddy and I would go on at least ten rides in the final two hours including two last minute trips on Space Mountain. It was awesome and we both take our families to Disney all the time but it has a lot to do with those amazing times. Not sure kids will feel that connection now that they close everything as soon as the line is not huge.

Kman101

The decision to cancel Great Moments in History is a travesty. I'm not sorry. Who are the idiots running approving this? :mad::mad:

So tired of the constant entertainment cuts. Especially this one. MK is barebones as it is. Sigh. Typical behavior from them every year around this time. They panic because it's slow. It never stays slow. Yet they panic and cut.

Kman101

My decision to downgrade my pass is feeling very justified tbh

I wish I never upgraded to gold earlier this year, lol. So back to a lower pass next time, if I even get one ... I'm just spending less time in the parks and can't really find a justification for a gold pass when they aren't even included anymore in anything (unless it's to buy vastly overpriced merchandise or food).

Kman101

Lol it's funny you say that because that is what I downgraded to! I was a Platinum Plus but found i didnt go to the actual parks enough (water parks 100%) to justify keeping it

Unless I lived 10-30 minutes away I wouldn't do a platinum and I had no interest in upgrading just for the hope at getting SW previews. I'm good. lol. And a magnet is cute but ... they could very easily get our money but they do so little ... IMHO (I'm sure many will jump to their defense)

tissandtully

Gee, I don't know, why don't you ask all the moviegoers who shunned the second Muppets revival film, thus making it a flop? ;)

People outgrow things. At least, most people do, especially childish things that don't stand the test of time (without a lot of Disney money propping them up). Maybe some folks ought to ask themselves why they still LIKE certain things, rather than bash the ones whose tastes have improved and thus moved on?
What did I tell you guys? lol.

mastromjm

In the Parks
Yes
So, live entertainment cuts just in recent memory - trying to keep this as complete as possible:

Disneyland: Pixarmonic Orchestra, Golden Horseshoe Improv Show, Newsboys Trolley Show, Farley the Fiddler, Firehouse Band, Jedi Training Academy, Lion King show cut dancers, Frozen performances cut back significantly

WDW: Muppets Great Moments in American History, Rivers of Light live performers, Talking Mickey, Royal Majesty Makers, DJ's show at Lightning McQueen, the Giggle Gang, March of the First Order, Move it Shake it cutbacks, Pirate Tutorial, Citizens of Hollywood cutbacks, Burudika

Not to mention...
-Galaxy's Edge entire set of entertainment being reduced to bare minimum of meet and greets on both coasts
-the Main Street Theatre cancellation at WDW
-3 years without a nighttime parade and more likely to come at WDW, Paint the Night just sitting in storage at DL
-the new parade at Disneyland only getting greenlit due to being built on the chassises of Soundsational, and the extremely cheap "Bandtastic Cavalcade" being used as a stopgap for a real parade (though the live music is appreciated)
-and of course, enormous cuts to character meet and greets over the years, at least at WDW. I know personnel has shifted around for things like Mickey, Princess Fairytale Hall, etc, but the lack of variety is stunningly disappointing compared to just 10 years ago.

Kind of disheartening to see it all in one place. Clearly, Chapek has no respect for live entertainment. I think he might have just cut back a bit too much this time for me, but I have a feeling this is far from the end of the cuts. Walt would be ashamed... Michael Eisner might even be.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom