Rumor Entertainment Cuts Coming

SirWillow

It's not surprising given the time of year, when crowds are expected to go down a bit, and especially after the screwed up everything and chased people away for summer instead of drawing them in. But still very disappointing.

The ones I've seen listed were ones I wanted to see on our return trip in a month. Not happy to see how much of the entertainment is being dropped.

TrainsOfDisney

Someone also posted Frozen is going down to 5 days a week? CALI needs as much as they can get right now... not less! That park really doesn’t have that much going for it. I probably wouldn’t have gone in on my D23 trip but I really love the original soarin and wanted to see the lion king show before it closed (didn’t realize I needed to see Pixar one last time :( )

SirWillow

Someone also posted Frozen is going down to 5 days a week? CALI needs as much as they can get right now... not less! That park really doesn’t have that much going for it. I probably wouldn’t have gone in on my D23 trip but I really love the original soarin and wanted to see the lion king show before it closed (didn’t realize I needed to see Pixar one last time :( )

The schedule for the first week of October shows Frozen as being closed on Friday and Saturday, Oct 4 and 5. I can't imagine them having it actually closed on the weekend when the crowds are heaviest. That would be an absolutely bone headed, idiotic idea. They have been incredibly slow getting schedules up for the next month, and actually just today posted Fantasmic and other showtimes for that week and the next couple in October. Been watching it because we were finally able to book a dinner package for that weekend. So I'm guessing it's just they still haven't managed to figure out show schedules and not something stupid.

But then certain levels of management haven't exactly given confidence in the lack of stupid in recent months. :)

PiratesMansion

Just like ending the daily parade at DCA has kept entertainment from being cut there.... oh wait.

Also something that needed to end years ago.

Not to be replaced by nothing, mind you, but let's not pretend it wasn't long past its prime.

For the record, I agree with you in general that entertainment cuts aren't great. I would love to have the robust entertainment lineups of a few years ago. That said, I will shed no tears for the resulting closure of stale entertainment that was ready to be cycled out anyway.

Perhaps when Chapek and Iger meet the door it'll all reverse itself. I'm not ready to act like the sky's falling just yet.

TrainsOfDisney

Not to be replaced by nothing, mind you, but let's not pretend it wasn't long past its prime.

I don’t think electrical parade will ever be “stale” - it’s a classic that always brings a smile to my face, and seems to continue to entertain guests. Should it be replaced with a more modern electrical parade? Yes. But I think running it is much better than nothing.

Pixar Play did need a replacement or a big refresh.... but the fact that we have nothing is pretty sad.

PiratesMansion

I don’t think electrical parade will ever be “stale” - it’s a classic that always brings a smile to my face, and seems to continue to entertain guests. Should it be replaced with a more modern electrical parade? Yes.

They already did- Paint the Night. Now, why they're afraid to run it is beyond me, or why they can't pay for it or fix the costumes or whatever excuse they're using this week.

But MSEP is the definition of stale in it's current state. It's long past the assisted living stage. And DL would rather cart it out and milk those sweet nostalgia $$$ than run an actual modern night parade. Now if you're fine with that, than by all means root for MSEP. But you're not exactly giving them a reason to meaningfully invest and push the envelope or bring in new entertainment if you're camping out for and defending an aged relic.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

I’m all for paint the night as well!

I will say MSEP only works for me in Disneyland. I never saw it in Disneyland “back in the day” but there is something about that parade running down Main Street of Disneyland that I love. And it seems I’m not alone.

At magic kingdom in Florida? I felt it was painfully outdated, it was cool to see that one summer they did the promotion with the awesome pirate / princess fireworks.... but after that... it was time to go! So I understand what you are saying.

It’s one level of lazy to not replace an old parade.... it’s a whole other level to not have any parade.

Anjin

There's plenty of rumor they don't run Paint the Night because of cost.

Word is they're cutting Laughing Stock. Chapek seems to like cutting live park entertainment.

Quite honestly, I'm not sure what Chapek actually likes about Disneyland at all.
I'll give you a hint:
giphy.gif

mickEblu

They already did- Paint the Night. Now, why they're afraid to run it is beyond me, or why they can't pay for it or fix the costumes or whatever excuse they're using this week.

But MSEP is the definition of stale in it's current state. It's long past the assisted living stage. And DL would rather cart it out and milk those sweet nostalgia $$$ than run an actual modern night parade. Now if you're fine with that, than by all means root for MSEP. But you're not exactly giving them a reason to meaningfully invest and push the envelope or bring in new entertainment if you're camping out for and defending an aged relic.

If pushing the envelope is PTN I’ll stick with MSEP.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
MSEP should’ve never come back after it’s ‘96 Run. It’s getting more and more depressing to watch as a big chunk of the parade is missing. Just stop it.

There are no words for the absence of PTN. Best night time parade Disney has ever built and it’s still sitting in a warehouse down the street.

waltography

To me, PTN is my MSEP. I appreciate MSEP's place in Disneyland history, but I don't get the same flood of awe and wonder and joy and excitement from MSEP that I do from PTN. I fully agree that PTN is the best nighttime parade they've ever made.

With regards to the Pixarmonic Orchestra, I'm crushed it's been axed. It was by far the best part of Pixar Pier's atmosphere and I would always stop to see it while I was there.

PiratesMansion

If pushing the envelope is PTN I’ll stick with MSEP.

Also pushing the envelope compared to MSEP: Spectromagic, Fantillusion (original Tokyo version only), and Dreamlights. You may enjoy those more than PTN because they have more of a classic Disney feel by comparison.

SirWillow

Is Halloween Screams on the calendar yet???
Not yet. It's a big blank on the park schedules at this point.

Under the current regime, they've shown no interest in doing a decent night parade at any of the parks. Witness what is NOT at Magic Kingdom- they destroyed the Spectromagic floats, ran MSEP again for a bit, and then nothing. Honestly, they've been cutting back parades left and right.

Animal Kingdom used to have a parade. Not any more.
Magic Kingdom used to have a night parade. Not any more.
Hollywood Studios used to have a parade. Not anymore
DCA? Well, you already mentioned Paint the Night.

What makes you think that if they don't run MSEP that they would have an "incentive" to replace it? They've shown just the opposite- "oh good, we got rid of that one. Let's save money and not do another."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom