England Pavillion and Prince Philip

The Mom

Premium Member
Has anyone actually been in Epoct lately to see if anything was done at the UK pavilion to note the passing of Prince Philip? Flags at half staff, black wreaths, bunting, etc?

If so. please answer the OP. If you do not have the answer, then you are no longer on topic, so should not respond. Thank you.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Has anyone actually been in Epoct lately to see if anything was done at the UK pavilion to note the passing of Prince Philip? Flags at half staff, black wreaths, bunting, etc?

If so. please answer the OP. If you do not have the answer, then you are no longer on topic, so should not respond. Thank you.
I was there the day he went to that “great polo match in the sky” and two days after

didn’t see anything. To be fair...that pavilion doesn’t lend itself well to any kind of tribute. Only the American pavilion has flags...I do believe?

Nubs70

Original Poster
I was there the day he went to that “great polo match in the sky” and two days after

didn’t see anything. To be fair...that pavilion doesn’t lend itself well to any kind of tribute. Only the American pavilion has flags...I do believe?
They could do a little black bunting on light posts, something like that. No need for the Monthy Python body cart processional.

The Mom

Premium Member

Thank you. I suspect that not having UK staff or usual numbers of UK visitors made a difference with displaying any sort of mourning. I checked, and they do have UK flags - but they are hung as pennants rather than on flagpoles, so can't be lowered. I suppose they could have been replaced with black ones. But maybe no one ever thought about it - but perhaps will in the future as The Queen will more likely than not pass in less than a decade.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I grew up in Altrincham. We had a rag and bone man but he didn't have a horse sadly, he actually used to pull his cart himself. He had learning difficulties and was a real character, he'd shout stuff nobody could understand as he walked along. Sadly a number of years ago he was attacked by youths one night for no apparent reason after he'd had a few pints and they did a job on him putting him in hospital. He was so traumatised by it that he stopped working and going out, he's probably passed away by now. Sorry to ramble on, it just always gets me mad when I think of a harmless, hardworking man with learning difficulties like that being attacked.

Just read that back to myself, boy talk about me being a thread killer :oops: Let's get back to talking about how rich you are :D
I never thought I’d see talk about market Dave on WDWMagic!
Thank you. I suspect that not having UK staff or usual numbers of UK visitors made a difference with displaying any sort of mourning. I checked, and they do have UK flags - but they are hung as pennants rather than on flagpoles, so can't be lowered. I suppose they could have been replaced with black ones. But maybe no one ever thought about it - but perhaps will in the future as The Queen will more likely than not pass in less than a decade.
Over here it was a bit of a confused gesture. The palace had them at half mast for a week, but some national monuments kept them at half mast longer. Technically if the pavilion observed tradition I think they should’ve been at half mast from the announcement of passing until the night following the funeral.

mergatroid

Over here it was a bit of a confused gesture. The palace had them at half mast for a week, but some national monuments kept them at half mast longer. Technically if the pavilion observed tradition I think they should’ve been at half mast from the announcement of passing until the night following the funeral.
Me neither. I remember the Salvation Army playing one time and Market Dave started tap dancing in those work boots of his. It really was a sight to behold :D

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Did they put him in a can like Prince Albert?

...what? 🤷🏻‍♂️

tpoly88

i was there this past sunday and did not see anything specific. so the answer to the original question was no. wow did this question go off topic.

Lilofan

i was there this past sunday and did not see anything specific. so the answer to the original question was no. wow did this question go off topic.
No ICP cast members present and UK pavilion being staffed by others so no one should be surprised there was no remembrance of the Prince.

Walt Disney1955

Is the England Pavillion doing anything today in remembrance of Prince Philip?

From my own perspective and observation, Prince Philip was, well, not always the most popular Royal out there. They sort of just accepted him for who he was and kept him at bay. I guess as a Canadian he was technically still "our Prince" and all but maybe someone already mentioned it that the BBC received thousands of complaints that there was TOO much coverage of his death. I think with the Queen's popularity they might have done something but maybe just a lowering of the flag was the most you would do in this situation.

Nubs70

Original Poster
From my own perspective and observation, Prince Philip was, well, not always the most popular Royal out there. They sort of just accepted him for who he was and kept him at bay. I guess as a Canadian he was technically still "our Prince" and all but maybe someone already mentioned it that the BBC received thousands of complaints that there was TOO much coverage of his death. I think with the Queen's popularity they might have done something but maybe just a lowering of the flag was the most you would do in this situation.
I was wondering if WDW was going to acknowledge several hundred years of tradition. I guess the couldn't do that.

castlecake2.0

Usually on stage nothing is done in these situations, that’s more a backstage thing. In guest areas they really only decorate the pavilion for national holidays. I think for the UK pavilion they picked Guy Fawkes day for that, Canada Day in Canada, Constitution day for Norway etc.

Walt Disney1955

I was wondering if WDW was going to acknowledge several hundred years of tradition. I guess the couldn't do that.

It would have been fine if they had. I guess part of it you can trace back to the fact that people forget Americans fought a war to break ties with the British. So it really isn't "their" Prince so to speak. In Canada we are still tied to the monarchy so there were flags lowered at half mass everywhere, even at supermarkets.

drizgirl

It would have been fine if they had. I guess part of it you can trace back to the fact that people forget Americans fought a war to break ties with the British. So it really isn't "their" Prince so to speak. In Canada we are still tied to the monarchy so there were flags lowered at half mass everywhere, even at supermarkets.
If we have such hostile feelings toward the UK we probably should just close the pavilion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom