News Engines missing from Test Track Queue

bhg469

What has long intrigued me has been the engine that has been missing since the soft opening. Back in December 2012, three engines lined the queue, one of which was a hydrogen engine. The mounted engine was larger than the other two. It was spectacular and unlike anything I had seen before. Within a few days, it was gone. I could not help but wonder if GM decided that it did not want to showcase the technology.
You wouldn't want to give people the impression that epcot has a shred of education value left in it, would you? I mean, come on!! Test track should be about crazy lights and dubstep.

trainplane3

How dare you assume their power output. I am triggered.
I didn't say anything about power output. But....

The GM 2.0 turbo engine family currently sits around 250-345hp (sidenote, I wish GM was smart enough to sell a hot hatch in the US), depending on the brand it's going into (Buick/Chevy/Cadillac/etc). The LS engines can range from about 300hp (boo) to 800hp-ish (yay!). But when you place a vehicle on a dyno, these figures can heavily vary due to many factors. These may be temperature, altitude, and how much stress is placed on the poor engine from its owner simply assuming its power output. This can lead to great depression and early failure. We must remember that engines are people too and must be treated as such.

There we go. :p

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member

The GM 2.0 turbo engine family currently sits around 250-345hp (sidenote, I wish GM was smart enough to sell a hot hatch in the US), depending on the brand it's going into (Buick/Chevy/Cadillac/etc). The LS engines can range from about 300hp (boo) to 800hp-ish (yay!). But when you place a vehicle on a dyno, these figures can heavily vary due to many factors. These may be temperature, altitude, and how much stress is placed on the poor engine from its owner simply assuming its power output. This can lead to great depression and early failure. We must remember that engines are people too and must be treated as such.

That is more educational than anything the current version of TT offers, lol. Thanks for the input

Jahona

Does anyone have a picture of the engines? I'm not sure I remember them.

These were take at the end of September of this year. The images are fairly large.

DSC_5355.JPG

DSC_5359.JPG

matt9112

thankfully somebody who agrees. it drives me nuts when people cheap out on maintaince or just show no care toward there automobile. "it just goes from point A to point B" NO it's a magical work of art an engineering marvel of (in my case) turbocharged goodness. GMs 2.0 family is very nice the ATS is the perfect Chevrolet....too bad it's a caddy.

trainplane3

thankfully somebody who agrees. it drives me nuts when people cheap out on maintaince or just show no care toward there automobile. "it just goes from point A to point B" NO it's a magical work of art an engineering marvel of (in my case) turbocharged goodness. GMs 2.0 family is very nice the ATS is the perfect Chevrolet....too bad it's a caddy.
While I think this thread is over, I'll add to you comment.
Parents have a ATS now. No issues other then the fact it's a overpriced Buick. Go to Buick, get more for you $ for what is literally the same car (example, a new Regal GS for $40k gives you way more then a loaded ATS, ATS-V not included). I had a Cobalt SS with the LNF (slightly older 2.0T). That engine was so solid and took to mods so well. Dump $700 into it, make 320hp to the wheels, maintain 30ish mpg, go under the cover of most peoples radars (low spoiler), outrun most modded STI's, Golf Rs, Focus ST/RS's, etc. GM doesn't make anything in the hot hatch/fun car group (aside from the Camaro and Corvette) group so I went with the Focus RS. Much better handling but probably the weakest 300hp (350 apparently) I've felt. It's too bad since I really like the Ecotec family in all of its variants.

matt9112

While I think this thread is over, I'll add to you comment.
Parents have a ATS now. No issues other then the fact it's a overpriced Buick. Go to Buick, get more for you $ for what is literally the same car (example, a new Regal GS for $40k gives you way more then a loaded ATS, ATS-V not included). I had a Cobalt SS with the LNF (slightly older 2.0T). That engine was so solid and took to mods so well. Dump $700 into it, make 320hp to the wheels, maintain 30ish mpg, go under the cover of most peoples radars (low spoiler), outrun most modded STI's, Golf Rs, Focus ST/RS's, etc. GM doesn't make anything in the hot hatch/fun car group (aside from the Camaro and Corvette) group so I went with the Focus RS. Much better handling but probably the weakest 300hp (350 apparently) I've felt. It's too bad since I really like the Ecotec family in all of its variants.

I have a lightly modded GTI a 2012 so the older gen 2 2.0 not the nice new HP making box of the third gen EA888 and the golf R is WAYYYY over priced for what it is. buy a gti with the lsd spend less than a grand and make R power or more. I love the gti it can't handle like a miata and it can't drive in a straight line like the focus ST but the overall packaging is brilliant so much polish it feels perfect (from a balance stand point) like it so much I might get a new one down the road. new gti is much nicer with those dampers and the LSD but my 2012 is a blast and so much more civil than the competition.

gsimpson

The engines were removed and given to Bob Iger as a "holiday" bonus, which he in turn used to retrofit a money counting machine used to count his real "holiday" bonus which is probably cut revenue from the new Star Wars area in Hollywood Studios.

I think he may have gotten a favour from Elon Musk to make the engines perform optimally from solar power......
I assume on most sites no matter the subject you turn it into a Trump rant?

gsimpson

It seems original ideas have lost to easier, not to mention cheaper, attraction reskins which use IPs as filler material.
Actually the ip attractions tend to be more expensive and a lot more annoying to create. You have several additional groups of people who believe their ip is worth much more than whatever is planned and that they know more about attractions than wdi. This is true even when it his within the same corp family.

No Name

GM sponsors the ride so it should be good for now. But there was that one scene in Cars 3 that had me bugging anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom