Engegement ring, checked baggage or hand luggage?

zuulio

Original Poster
What would be the safest place to keep an engagement ring when travelling, in your checked luggage or hand luggage.
If it's in checked baggage there's the worry anything could happen with it being out of your control for an extended period of time.On the other hand if it's in your hand luggage you may have to produce the ring for all to see at the airport!

tigsmom

If you cannot keep it on your person (which would be the best idea) then put it in your carry on and ask for it to be hand checked. DO NOT put it in your checked luggage and DO NOT let your carry on out of your sight.

Philo

When I proposed I carried the engagement ring either in my hand luggage or in my pocket - I even refused to leave it unattended in our hotel room so it came round the Parks with us too (nothing more stressful than hoping a security guard woldn't find it an pull it out during a bag search)

After the proposal, I was relieved that I could finally relax and not worry about a ring flying away from me on SM of BTMRR

datw@epcot

I hand checked it, wrapped it in something in my bag, made sure she went through first so she wouldn't see them searching my bag, then just hoped that they would see what it was through the x-ray and realize that they shouldn't pull it out where she could see. Nothing bad happened, she was clueless.

disneygirl1

Absolutely hand check! Do not put it in your check baggage. It's not worth the risk! IF you are nervous that she may see it when you are being checked at security in the airport, just make sure that she goes ahead of you. Good luck!

The Mom

Premium Member
I have always put my jewelry in my carry-on, and have never had to take it out for visual inspection. (I'm assuming that you don't want your fiancee- to -be to know you're carrying a ring.)

Engagement Ring

:wave:Hi there, if I were you, I would keep the ring with you at all times, in your carry on bag. At the check point I would speak with the security person. Tell them you have a engagement ring in the bag and would like to keep it a secret. I am sure they would be happy to help out with the secret and not ask you to take it out. Please do not put it in your check in baggage. That would be a bad idea. Stuff goes missing all the time, you wouldn't want that to happen and ruin your plans. Keep it with you and you will be just fine. :) Have a magical day. And I wish you the best with your engagement! :animwink:

HITCH KING

Thead the ring on to the center of your group of keys and leave them in your coat pocket as your send thru X-ray machine. Try not to keep checking your pocket a hundred times to make sure that you have it. No problems No questions.

LuLaSue

My DH bought my engagement ring in Aruba and had to bring it back to the States. (I did not know he purchased it.) He put it in his carry-on and said a prayer! He proposed 3 months later.

I wish you the best during this exciting time!!!!:sohappy:

wild01ride

I went through this exact predicament on our recent trip in December.
I put it in my carry-on (a MUST!). I seem to have my bags thoroughly checked every time I travel since I usually pack my electric shaver, etc. in my carry-on (I am usually exceeding the weight limit due to my poor/excessive packing habits, so I need to pack some heavier things in my carry-on). So, knowing what usually happens, I actually packed the ring IN the small bag with my shaver (in a separate compartment). It was definitely a risk, but it was kind of like bluffing at cards - they usually check my bag, but when they pull out the electric shaver, they always say "oh, well this is definitely what we saw" and they move it along.

As someone mentioned with the keys, I would recommend putting it with something else that is a "natural find" for the baggage check - if it's in with your camera equipment, etc. (stuff that's expected to be noticed on the scanner), it'll go through a lot more easily than if it's the only metal object in the middle of a bundle of underwear!

Good luck and best wishes to you and your soon-to-be fiancee!

TowerOfTerp

I've traveled to a lot of places and thought I never would see the day, but for this same situation I used a travel pouch. After I got through security I put the ring in it and I never had to worry about losing it in my pocket.

EaglesfanNJ

I have to agree with everyone here. Put it in your carry on and take that thing with you everywhere. I proposed at the Magic Kingdom in 2004 and had the same decision to make. I put it in my carry on and literally took it with me everywhere, rides, dinner, shows, etc. The kicker was, i wanted to do it while Wishes was going on. Our first night there we were too tired from the trip to make Wishes. Day 2 and 3 there were no wishes. I had to wait unti Day 4 to propose. Imagine the worrying i did!! In hindsight i'm glad i did, do NOT put your trust in the airlines. We bought my grandmother a nice (but fragile) picture frame. We had to put it in our checked luggage. When we got home and opened it, FAA put that card in our bags stating how they inspected the bag. Well when we pulled the picture frame out it was broken. I attempted to get to the bottom of it but there were so many "hoops" to jump through to recoup a $20 frame, it was not worth it. I learned the hard way, but the moral was trust nobody! If you control what happens than you'll be fine, take the control out of your hands and anything can happen.

zuulio

Original Poster
Thanks for all the responses,i get the impression checked baggage is not the way to go then!
Now for the next problem: We have a two week holiday and i don't intend on proposing until the start of the second week! I've read the posts about keeping the ring with you for every moment untll you pop the question,I don't know how you relax whilst keeping a ring in your pocket for days at a time! Isn't the hotel safe a better option?

klineski96

Thanks for all the responses,i get the impression checked baggage is not the way to go then!
Now for the next problem: We have a two week holiday and i don't intend on proposing until the start of the second week! I've read the posts about keeping the ring with you for every moment untll you pop the question,I don't know how you relax whilst keeping a ring in your pocket for days at a time! Isn't the hotel safe a better option?

To comment on the first question:
I never had to get the ring through airport security, I dont envy anyone who has had to do that! We live locally so the weekend that I proposed I had it with me in my duffle bag. I did not leave it in the hotel room, I took it with me wherever I/we went. I had the ring in our backback that we take with us when we go to the parks. Thankfully we have a system that allowed me to get away with it. I carry the bag all day and I wait in the bag check lines, she carries the annual passes and the cash/cards. When the security guy at the bag check outside Animal Kingdom saw the ring box, and seeing no one else standing with me, he wishes me good luck.

The second question:
Each of my jeans have a small small pocket just under the belt and above the larger pocket on the right side. If I'm wearing shorts I've usually got cargo shorts on and would put the ring in a small slim cloth bag (like a sunglasses case) or container and put that in a back pocket, fasten the back pocket and you're all set. That's where her ring was when we went to the parks.

Don't act suspicous and she won't know you've got thousands and thousands of dollars in your pocket. LOL

Good luck!

LuLaSue

My husband must have a clear head :lookaroun! He bought the ring 2 days into our vacation and left it in the hotel room safe for the rest of the week in Aruba. I have two thoughts on this, first, I could have found it,second, how much do you trust a hotel room safe. In the past we have left many things in our room safe and never had a problem but, I am sure you will find someone on here that will tell you otherwise.
Good luck!:sohappy:

zuulio

Original Poster
Thanks!
Because of the whole waiting till the second week thing i think i'll have to trust the room safe (i'm staying at a Disney resort) especially as i'll have no choice on a couple of occasions when we go to water parks.

TowerOfTerp

Some (all?) of the Disney hotels have a front desk safe. I don't know the particular laws for Florida, but most hotels are not liable for things stolen from the safe in your room. On the other hand, they are liable if they disappear from the front desk safe. If that ring has value, you might consider the front desk safe, you'll also save yourself the trouble of explaining why the safe is locked everyday.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom