Engaged at Disney

TikiBeckie

Hi everyone, I will be going to Disney next month and I just got engaged...to a guy thats never been to Disney :eek: ...do you know if they do anything special for recently engaged couples? Would it be rude to ask for a free upgrade, or to mention it to the resort, etc? Anyone that knows anything about being engaged at Disney, I would love your advice or suggestions! Thanks everyone!!!

Wilt Dasney

Never rude to ask. Disney's certainly not shy about asking for your money whenever they can. Nothing wrong with asking for a little bit of it back...and you never know if you don't ask.

Upvote 0

TikiBears

ALOHA TikiBeckie,
CONGRATS!!!
Well, when I "WAS" engaged a few years ago we went to Disney to celebrate.
(Looking back, I think the only reason that I got engaged was an excuse to go to Disney) <---kidding <---well,sort of...
Anyway we booked a bunch of meals ahead of time and told the good folks at Disney that we were celebrating. They threw a ton of suprises our way. I dont want to give anything away but it was very cool of them to do. In fact I might just get engaged again someday just for the Disney freebees. OINK!

have a blast- Chris

Upvote 0

speck76

TikiBeckie said:
Hi everyone, I will be going to Disney next month and I just got engaged...to a guy thats never been to Disney :eek: ...do you know if they do anything special for recently engaged couples? Would it be rude to ask for a free upgrade, or to mention it to the resort, etc? Anyone that knows anything about being engaged at Disney, I would love your advice or suggestions! Thanks everyone!!!

Feel free to ask, but don't be too upset if they can not fill your requests.

Congrats!

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
From past experience I have found it never hurts to ask and the cast members always seem happy to do what ever that can to improve you visit. Nine out of ten times there is nothing that they can do but that tenth time is well worth it. On a future note, if you honeymoon or get married at Disney make sure you get the bride and groom mouse ears. My wife and I did that when we got married and were treated like royalty by not only the cast members but other WDW guests.

Upvote 0

mattb

Yeah, it's lots of fun to see the bride and groom mouse ears around the park. I would also not be shy about asking them, since you're recently engaged and all.

By the way, congratulations! :sohappy:

To TikiBears: tsk tsk tsk, using your fiancee for a free trip to Disney. :D

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Yes, do ask.
You should mention this when making reservations and again when you check in. Also, when you make PS for meals, particularly at the nicer restaurants. We celebrated our anniversary there, and were treated very well.

Congratulations!

Upvote 0

DizGuru2004

I suppose that it doesn't HURT to ask...but if you care about what other people think...to me...it's kindof like being a guest in someone's home. You can find a way to work it into the conversation, and maybe something nice will happen. If it does, great...if it doesn't, great. You're getting a husband/wife! That's your prize, right? And they're there with you at the Happiest Place on Earth, right??

But when a CM hears "Do you all do anything special for 'XYZ' ??" it is SUCH a big turnoff. They may keep a smile on their face, and you may get free dessert, but people will be rolling their eyes at you in their minds the whole time. This may seem a little harsh, but it is completely true. Part of the reason I joined this forum was to help educate people about Disney and help them be able to find their own Magic without it always having to be handed to them on a silver platter. As a front-line CM, it is often up to me (I use 'me' generically) as to whether or not I want to take the extra steps necessary to make some Magic. I mean, face it, I could give you the most sincere smile when you asked me if we do anything special for whatever and say "That is so great! Congratulations!"...maybe engage you with a little small talk and go about my business. In Disney's eyes, I have done my job and then some just by doing that (backstage we call it a Take 5...we took a few seconds to stop what we were doing, and make you "feel" special) and am not obligated to do another thing.

But that's not what most people mean. When they say "do you do something special?", they really mean "what are you guys going to give me?" In that moment, again, it is completely up to me. I could go the extra mile...go talk to my leader and "see what we can do"...but practically speaking...can I do that the 20-30 times a day (I'm not exaggerating) I get asked that question? No. So I end up with this judgement of who "deserves" it.

It might seem all unmagical and judgemental and power-trippy to you, and it isn't meant to be that way, but it is true. That decision is ours to make, and most of the time it has to be made...just out of practicality's sake. So...and I can only speak for myself...but...it makes sense that many other CMs might feel this way...it's almost an unspoken policy IMHO...who deserves it? The person that doesn't ask. The person who made eye contact with me while they were in my line, struck up a conversation, mentioned that they were here celebrating something...(didn't throw in a gratuitous "so do we get our meal free/to go to the front of the line/etc...[laughs] of COURSE we're just KIDDING!!" when they aren't)...and went on their way. That makes my day interesting, and makes me want to make it MORE interesting by surprising you as you're leaving the attraction, or acting like I'm not going to do anything and then coming out with a dessert at the end of the meal...something like that. So again...this may all seem mean-spirited...but I'm really just trying to help you get what you want. I'm not a big Bible quoter, but..."Blessed are the meek!" Try it...it works!

Upvote 0

Buckeye

I agree with DizGuru2004,

The best surprises are always the unexpected ones. It happened to me twice on trips to WDW. Once from the airlines and once from Disney. The first was when my wife and I were on our way to Orlando for our honeymoom. (We did the Land and Sea thing on the old Big Red Boat....remember that?) At the airport, the person taking the boarding passes asked if we were on our honeymoon. (It must have been our Newlywed Glow :lol: ) When we said yes, she gave us seating assignments in first class. It was great! The second time was in 2003. We (wife and kids) were planning a short trip (4 nights) and I had booked a room at POR. Well, Disney offered a special on a standard room at WL for about the same price. I thought it was a good deal and I booked it. Well, when we check in, the CM sends us off to our room. When we get there, we find out she had upgraded us to a courtyard view facing the lagoon. We had an excellent view of the EWP. It was awesome and totally unsolicited and unexpected.

Upvote 0

Scooter

I. too agree with The Guru

Just asking for a free up grade IMO is tacky.

My wife and I have had some of the best "Magical experiances" when we check in.

We have never ask for an upgrade, but when we check in, we're all giggly. look each other in the eye, and then quietly mention that we just got engaged, or it's our honeymoon vacation, or it's my wifes B-Day, or it's our anniversary....and we have almost always gotten a nice Magical surprise.

We always try to plan our trips around special times ie B-Days and Anniversarys so we don't just LIE about these things.

And if something happens where we don't have a special occasion going on, well, we just don't say anything.

Every stay at Disney World is a wonderful one to us... some are just more "Magical" than others. :)

Upvote 0

bgraham34

Well we got engage about 3 months before we went down. We stayed at the wilderness lodge and we got ungraded to courtyard view from standard after i told them we got engaged. so it never hurts to ask.

Upvote 0

TikiBeckie

Original Poster
Thanks everybody!!! Im certainly not looking for any handouts from Disney at all, I mostly want this experience to be great for my new fiancee since he has never been, and since he has done so much for me!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom