end movie of the GMR

Expo_Seeker40

I like this ride, and appreciate it, especially what went into recreating the chinese theater, only to get obscured by the hat. :(

I find the ride to have some flaws.

I think the ride needs to cut down or completely end the tram stop, action scenes. It makes the ride too korny and long. I also *gasp* would for w/e reason see live CM gone. I know I know, somehow this ride would do much better with a good narrating audio host.

As far as outdated. The attraction is outdated in the preshow. I like the trailers, but they really need to think about digital restoration or other forms of technological presentation.

The ride itself isn't that bad in the sense of classic films both disney and MGM, the ending with munchkinand and emerald city is very appropriate. The finale film has a great musical score, however that should be the main focus of technological advances in presentation and what films would be showcased.

I think if the sorcer hat were to be demolished or moved, seing the chinese theater again would create a new atmosphere and aw for new commers, and I think more attention to the GMR itself. :wave:

DisneyMedic

Expo_Seeker40 said:
I like this ride, and appreciate it, especially what went into recreating the chinese theater, only to get obscured by the hat. :(

I find the ride to have some flaws.

I think the ride needs to cut down or completely end the tram stop, action scenes. It makes the ride too korny and long. I also *gasp* would for w/e reason see live CM gone. I know I know, somehow this ride would do much better with a good narrating audio host.

As far as outdated. The attraction is outdated in the preshow. I like the trailers, but they really need to think about digital restoration or other forms of technological presentation.

The ride itself isn't that bad in the sense of classic films both disney and MGM, the ending with munchkinand and emerald city is very appropriate. The finale film has a great musical score, however that should be the main focus of technological advances in presentation and what films would be showcased.

I think if the sorcer hat were to be demolished or moved, seing the chinese theater again would create a new atmosphere and aw for new commers, and I think more attention to the GMR itself. :wave:

OK first i respect your opinion..HOWEVER.......

I really think it is the Cast Members that really bring this attraction to live. So much so that I am going to be trying to apply for a role on this attration. Yes the spiel can get corny but that is half the fun.. How many times have we all laughed at the same 45+ year old jokes on the jungle curise?? It is just the frame of mind you are in when you experience the ride.

I do agree 100% with you all that the HAT HAS TO GO!!! As for the coments about universal.. Remember this attraction is about the MOVIES.. if you look at the movies inside they are not just MGM or Disney movies. For example..Raiders= Paramont, Cagney=Warner Bro., Allen=Universal, ect..

All of the movies companies are repersented in the attration.

Connor002

marni1971 said:
News to me - apart from looking cornier now and having less smoke.

Wow, marni dosen't know :eek: . I have to say your usually one of the people I think would be answering our questions.

MommytoMJM

I spoke with the ppl at GMR last weekend (it is MJ's fave ride there) some factoids...there are 138 movies represented in the film, it is scheduled to be updated in November (rumor from CM's) and one of the Guides is supposed to get me the list of the movies, when she does, I will post it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Connor002 said:
Wow, marni dosen't know :eek: . I have to say your usually one of the people I think would be answering our questions.

:lol:

There are too many to count (not to mention I don`t know all their names - I`m not that old. Honest!)

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
marni1971 said:
News to me - apart from looking cornier now and having less smoke.

There are two aliens, one on the side and one above that used to spring out with sound...people would wet themselves...
and yes, there was more smoke and the soundtrack was louder

Tom

Beta Return
ClemsonTigger said:
There are two aliens, one on the side and one above that used to spring out with sound...people would wet themselves...
and yes, there was more smoke and the soundtrack was louder

The original Alien scene did indeed promote the evacuation of bowels. The first time we went back after they apparently changed it, I was cowering in the corner of the tram, waiting for it to jump out either from the right side or from above - and to my surprise, nothing happened. I was partially depressed and partially relieved!

CThaddeus

Here's the bulk of them, though I know I missed a number of them, too. This is from 2000, I'll review 2002 if I get a chance - a couple of scenes from Charlie Chaplin films (not sure which ones), the original "Ten Commandments" (b/w), a few other silent films, "The Jazz Singer," "Showboat," a Busby Berkeley musical, "Grease," "Yankee Doodle Dandy," "Sister Act," "Snow White," "Anchors Aweigh, "Saturday Night Fever," a Three Stooges film, "Trading Places," "The Godfather," "Taxi Driver," a John Wayne movie ("True Grit"?), the Errol Flynn version of "Robin Hood," "North By Northwest," "Raiders of the Lost Ark," "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid," "Terminator," the original "King Kong," "Young Frankenstein," "The Wizard of Oz," "Independence Day," "Return of the Jedi," "2001," "Star Trek: The Motion Picture," "The Right Stuff" (I think), "The Absent Minded Professor," "Fantasia," "The Karate Kid," "Bridge on the River Kwai," "Chariots of Fire," "10," "Tootsie," the Barbara Streisand movie where she says "Hello gorgeous," a black and white Spencer Tracy/Katherine Hepburn b/w movie, "Gone with the Wind," "From Here to Eternity," "Shakespeare in Love," "Fatal Attraction," "Lady and the Tramp," "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?", then there's a huge montage of stars, "A Streetcar Named Desire," more stars, "Good Morning, Vietnam," "Apocalypse Now," "Lawrence of Arabia," "Armageddon," "The Lion King," "Thelma and Louise," "High Noon?", the Clint Eastwood film with him in the same getup as he was earlier in the attraction, "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids," "Lassie," "Patton," "Malcolm X," "It's a Wonderful Life," "The Sound of Music," the 50s version of "The Ten Commandments," "Ben Hur," "Star Wars." Have fun trying to watch all these!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Go CT go!!!!!

Re the Alien scene - when was it toned down? Do you mean the Aliens no longer jump out? It`s been 4 years since I was at MGM and they did then.

Am I the only one who finds the Nostramos computers voice sexy?

DisneySam

Ditto the Aliens do not jump out. The first couple times I rode it (2001-2003) they did, but now the one on the side does not and the one above does, but not very far. I love the GMR, it just needs some TLC.

mitchk

DisneySam said:
Ditto the Aliens do not jump out. The first couple times I rode it (2001-2003) they did, but now the one on the side does not and the one above does, but not very far. I love the GMR, it just needs some TLC.

That's correct. When I was there in July the Alien did not "Jump" out from above.The car slowed down, there was a little smoke, and the Alien was slowly lowered down from above. It was not very scary, and kind of pointless. That's one of the scenes that needs to be changed.

DisneyFreak529

DisneySam said:

I rode this ride twice in 2002 and the Alien jumped out both times. I'm not sure if it does now but it did them.

Bluewaves

Umm the newest movie at the end of the ride is armageddon, so it has been updated slightly, even though thats the easiest part of the ride for them to update just change the film and the projector the screens really don't even have to be replaced, maybe some new speakers , buts thats about it. The alien scene is kinda of dated thats about it. I think most people know who john wayne is, there is a John Wayne movie on almost every other day on bravo or amc so I wouldn't worry bout that.

animay

The alien up above 'attacks' the first half of the vehicle and the one of the side (supposedly the same alien, it just moved, according to the character's speil) gets the back half of the vehicle. There's supposed to be a lot of smoke around the one up above, so that it can kind of sneak up on you, but they rarely had the smoke working right (same with the puffs of smoke from the bullets hitting walls in the gangster scene). Without it you can see the alien coming a mile away and it loses a lot of the effect. It never really 'jumped' at you, but it sure seemed more intimidating popping out of the smoke rather than swinging back and forth in an empty hole in the ceiling.

maelstrom

I have always been petrified of the alien scene. I was 3 years old when it opened and I'm 19 now and I still hate it. Alien just so happened to be on tv tonight. My boyfriend and I were watching it and I kept saying THIS. IS. ALIEN. and talking about the GMR. Luckily, my boyfriend already knows I'm nuts! :D

Gucci65

I like this ride, love the whole movie theme. Especially during the end when they show clips on that huge screen of some of my favorite movies (esp. Gone With The Wind).

BUT - I cringe every time we get to the Tarzan scene. That's seems like a huge waste of space to me. WhoppeeDoo - Tarzan is swinging from end to end while yodeling. :snore:

CThaddeus

I love the attraction, too (I wish they'd clone it in California Adventure so I could ride it more often). However, I was always disappointed with the "Fantasia" scene. All those great audio-animatronic characters before it and then you get to the character who started it all for Disney...and he's just a film projection. Lame. Considering they used to have the audio-animatronic Mickeys for The Mickey Mouse Revue how hard would it have been to put in one of them in The Great Movie Ride with the appropriate attire?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom