"Encanto" Coming Fall 2021

Sir_Cliff

I thought the songs/music was the highlight of the film. It’s the plot and general lack of internal logic/world building that I thought was subpar.
I actually thought it was kind of clever in the way it dealt with the often toxic family dynamics that persist under a veneer of perfection. The miracle was never really explained as such, but then even that was a somewhat interesting metaphor for how this over-accomplished family was shaped by a hidden family trauma passed down through the generations. That also seemed clever to me as a double-edged sword that was neither wholly destructive nor entirely positive.

Or, maybe I was reading too much into it!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This Week on Billboard's Hot 100:

# 5 We Don't Talk About Bruno (#50 last week)
#14 Surface Pressure (#54)
#62 Family Madrigal
#67 What Else Can I Do
#82 Dos Oruguitas

On Billboard's 200 for Albums:
#1 Encanto (#7 last week)

This Week on Billboard's Hot 100:

# 4 We Don't Talk About Bruno (#5 last week)
#14 Surface Pressure (#14)
#66 Family Madrigal (#62)
#71 Dos Oruguitas (#82)
#77 What Else Can I Do (#67)
#88 Waiting on a Miracle (#88)

On Billboard's 200 for Albums:
#3 Encanto (#1 last week)

erasure fan1

I guess I'm WAY out of touch. I wouldn't put the Encanto music higher than the bottom 10% of Disney animated films. I finally watched it and I can't remember a movie that left less of an impact on me musically. Not one song stuck with me at all. But hey, that's what makes the world spin, to each their own.

Artful_Dodger

I guess I'm WAY out of touch. I wouldn't put the Encanto music higher than the bottom 10% of Disney animated films. I finally watched it and I can't remember a movie that left less of an impact on me musically. Not one song stuck with me at all. But hey, that's what makes the world spin, to each their own.
That's the sorta talk that'll get you lynch mobbed around here. A certain armchair moderator penguin is sure to be along any minute with RT or IMDB stats, showing how wrong your opinion is. ;)

Seriously though, I get how this movie and the songs can be a mixed bag among audiences. I really enjoyed Bruno, but like you, forgot most of the rest.

As for the movie itself, I thought it had a great message. Much better than Frozen's "run away into the mountains from your problems and turn your back on your responsibilities, and everything will still turn out alright"...
At least these characters faced their issues and worked through them as a family. I enjoyed it overall.

mdcpr

The only song I liked from the film was "We Don’t Talk About Bruno"--not only is it a great song, it's one of the only ones in the whole film that genuinely sounds Colombian. Was very disappointed to see the lack of Colombian creatives on the production team as a whole (and it really showed in the film, unfortunately). I really thought there were some things they really, really nailed, like the house itself (and everybody living in the same house, hahahahaha), the toxicity of Latin families, the magical realism, the ethnic diversity in Colombia (!!!!!!)--all of which made me incredibly happy. (Especially since the latter of which was kind of a problem for Coco.) But having two (very American) people, being Puerto Rican and Cuban on the writing team instead of a Colombian writer....was definitely unfortunate. There's a lot of projection and broad-brush vaguely Latin-ness, when we are not all of the same people and it gets annoying when Cubans, Puerto Ricans, and, yes, even Mexicans, (esp. American ones) treat their experiences or traits as being universal. Even when composing the music, the song writer (who will not be named) said his version of "studying" Colombian music was replacing Puerto Rican instruments for Colombian ones and using their family (none of whom are Colombian) as litmus tests of if the songs were good or not. :/

Edit: this isn't mean to criticize PRs or Cubans or anyone, this is just a gentle reminder that we are not all the same people, and the more American centric and focused need to remember that other folks with less visibility and recognition need space to exist separately from us because our experiences are not universal and we are not all the same people.
Maluma and Carlos Vives were part of the soundtrack. Lin-Manuel Miranda is opening up a lot of doors for the Hispanic community. Let's celebrate the first movie showing a Latino family which is becoming a global hit.

Dear Prudence

Maluma and Carlos Vives were part of the soundtrack. Lin-Manuel Miranda is opening up a lot of doors for the Hispanic community. Let's celebrate the first movie showing a Latino family which is becoming a global hit.
LMM isn't opening doors for anyone but himself. He does not represent Latine people as a whole--in fact, much of his experience has nothing to do with the rest of us because he has several unique positions. To even imply that he has anything in common with the majority of Latine people, especially in the US, is a falsehood. Even saying "H*spanic" is a misnomer because so many people in these countries are not Spanish and do not speak Spanish. LMM literally just threw Afro-Latine people under the bus with the IN THE HEIGHTS movie. Again, it was framed as though we should all "just be happy" it was made, regardless of who was sidelined or crushed in the process.

I never said I didn't like the movie (Encanto)--I liked it quite a lot. But this was a moment for Colombia and Colombians not for "all of us"--least of all to be given to people who have great privileges and protections in the US. Latine people are not all the same people. And even amongst ourselves, we are not monoliths. Of course we have a lot of overlap and similarities, but this was a really important moment for specifically Colombians, and I feel like it was squandered in many ways.

CaptainAmerica

LMM isn't opening doors for anyone but himself. He does not represent Latine people as a whole--in fact, much of his experience has nothing to do with the rest of us because he has several unique positions. To even imply that he has anything in common with the majority of Latine people, especially in the US, is a falsehood. Even saying "H*spanic" is a misnomer because so many people in these countries are not Spanish and do not speak Spanish. LMM literally just threw Afro-Latine people under the bus with the IN THE HEIGHTS movie. Again, it was framed as though we should all "just be happy" it was made, regardless of who was sidelined or crushed in the process.

I never said I didn't like the movie (Encanto)--I liked it quite a lot. But this was a moment for Colombia and Colombians not for "all of us"--least of all to be given to people who have great privileges and protections in the US. Latine people are not all the same people. And even amongst ourselves, we are not monoliths. Of course we have a lot of overlap and similarities, but this was a really important moment for specifically Colombians, and I feel like it was squandered in many ways.
What the hell is Latine? Is that the new one because Latinx was so embarrassing?

Dear Prudence

What the hell is Latine? Is that the new one because Latinx was so embarrassing?
Latine is more grammatically correct in terms of the Spanish Language (as well as Portuguese?). I tend to really dislike the ethnic Transformer conglomerate umbrellas because we are all so different--even amongst ourselves. E is the neutral letter in the Spanish language, which actually makes more sense than the X. Although I did like thinking that we were the X-Men every time I saw it. The E isn't just gender-inclusive, it also includes non-Spanish speaking peoples (including Indigenous peoples), and Brazilians. I interchange between using Latin and Latine/x/@, but try to be as country-specific as possible. (Does that make sense?)

mdcpr

This might not the forum to discuss this. There's definitely some strong views from your part, and I get it.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
That's the sorta talk that'll get you lynch mobbed around here. A certain armchair moderator penguin is sure to be along any minute with RT or IMDB stats, showing how wrong your opinion is. ;)
People are entitled to their opinions, and the poster in question admits they have a minority view. That's fine.

It's when people declare something to be objectively 'bad' because they don't like it and give reasons that aren't factual or are inconsistent, or think everyone feels that way... then the claws on my webbed feet come out.

;)

Dear Prudence

I am very disappointed in the lack of food representation in Encanto. :( How are you going to make a movie about Colombia and not go all out on the food--how is Julieta going to have the power to heal people through food and only have what's basically junk food?

Also, why do her daughter and husband still wear glasses if she has the power to heal?

mdcpr

What about Coco?

I really like Encanto a lot, but Coco shouldn't be overlooked (although it's a tougher subject because it deals even more with death and loss vs. Encanto being a more upbeat film even if it also includes death and loss).
Excellent point about Coco.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom