"Encanto" Coming Fall 2021

Magenta Panther

Sing 2 is gonna blow Encanto's doors off at the box office. And what gets me is...the Sing series is about talking singing animals. Something that used to be Disney's forte. IMO, the last good Disney feature was Zootopia. I wish Disney would get back to that kind of thing. But then I wish for other silly things like Disney doing a 2D-animated version of The Snow Queen and the Chronicles of Narnia. Silly me...

Sir_Cliff

Sing 2 is gonna blow Encanto's doors off at the box office. And what gets me is...the Sing series is about talking singing animals. Something that used to be Disney's forte. IMO, the last good Disney feature was Zootopia. I wish Disney would get back to that kind of thing. But then I wish for other silly things like Disney doing a 2D-animated version of The Snow Queen and the Chronicles of Narnia. Silly me...
What's your issue with Encanto now?

Jedijax719

Saw Encanto Christmas eve on D+. We liked it a lot. I keep saying this-Disney knows how to create female lead characters for their animated films. I've also said this a million times. Disney NEEDS to tap into some of their animated storytellers to create new live action movies. They'd have to spruce things up to make them engaging for live action, but the characters have been great. Between Frozen, Moana, Coco, Encanto, Merida, Raya....and more, between Pixar and DAS, they could really make something that could become a new hit for live action films.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Encanto on RT...

1640635986049.png

doctornick

I actually wasn’t all that impressed by Encanto. I mean it was fine and entertaining enough but I don’t really have much interest in rewatching it. I preferred both Raya and Luca among the Disney animated fare this year.

I felt the grandmother was overly stern without enough explanation why and there needed to be more elaboration on the magic and how it worked and how it was fixed. There seemed like too much “things happened because they happened” without a why. IMHO it’s harder to be invested without a better clarification of the stakes (yes, we knew she would triumph in the end with a happy ending). Just my thoughts.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I felt the grandmother was overly stern without enough explanation why and there needed to be more elaboration on the magic and how it worked and how it was fixed. There seemed like too much “things happened because they happened” without a why. IMHO it’s harder to be invested without a better clarification of the stakes (yes, we knew she would triumph in the end with a happy ending). Just my thoughts.
They did explain why, Abuela was stern because she didn't want to lose her family like she lost her husband. The magic was created because of her love for her family, and restored for the same reason except this time it was Mirabel's love.

jpinkc

Finally watched Encanto with my daughter, it wasnt bad. Music was pretty good. Just didnt really grab the feels of Disney or Pixar greatness to me.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Encanto songs are growing on me.

Take "We Don't Talk About Bruno." Watch this video which has the words, and then note the overlapping melodies at the end. This countermelody construction is a staple of Broadway and used in West Side Story, Godspell, Call Me Madam, In the Heights, and Hamilton.

Now that you know the words and how it all fits together. Watch the video of the animation (starts at 45:00). It is genius and as rich as the song. Note that as soon as Felix starts embellishing Pepa's story, she starts to give him the side-eye and then finally asks him who's telling the story. Great character detail.

Also note that during Delores' part, Bruno is sneaking around on the balcony.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Take "We Don't Talk About Bruno." Watch this video which has the words, and then note the overlapping melodies at the end. This countermelody construction is a staple of Broadway and used in West Side Story, Godspell, Call Me Madam, In the Heights, and Hamilton.

Now that you know the words and how it all fits together. Watch the video of the animation (starts at 45:00). It is genius and as rich as the song. Note that as soon as Felix starts embellishing Pepa's story, she starts to give him the side-eye and then finally asks him who's telling the story. Great character detail.

giphy.gif

Magenta Panther

Don't you get it? He hates modern Disney Animated Films post-Tangled and Frozen!

I didn't like Frozen. At all. Said so here. (Although I do like some of the Frozen shorts). Didn't care for Tangled either.

But I DO like Zootopia. I'd love to see a sequel, though I doubt we'll get one, since it's being turned into a TV series on Disney+. (And since I don't have Disney+, I won't be seeing the series).

There are book properties that feature animals that Disney COULD be working on for movies. Like The Last Unicorn. Like Redwall. And I'd still love a traditional 2D animated Disney version of Narnia. And it's a darn shame Disney didn't snap up My Father's Dragon. I loved that book as a kid and still do. I'd love to see a Disney version of it. No such luck now. Some company called Cartoon Saloon is animating it. Disney missed out.

BrianLo

I definitely think this is the strongest song. Which is a bit interesting as it's not the I want power ballad that one would necessarily put in fireworks.

mightynine

I enjoyed this a lot more than I expected. It'll be a repeat watch in the household.

Also, I'd put dollars to donuts "What Else Can I Do" ends up in a Disney Parks Nighttime Spectacular at some point.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member

tcool123

I enjoyed this a lot more than I expected. It'll be a repeat watch in the household.

Also, I'd put dollars to donuts "What Else Can I Do" ends up in a Disney Parks Nighttime Spectacular at some point.

If Disney decides to do an update to Harmonious I can see Colombia, Mi Encanto worked into the Latin American portion of the show.

Hoopla

I really enjoyed Encanto. I enjoyed the songs, I enjoyed the story. My main complaint would be what a few of you have already mentioned, which is a lack of explanation to the actual magic behind it all.

I also think this movie needs a ride at the parks. I'm far from being one of these people who thinks EVERY new movie needs a ride or show or meet and greet, but Encanto calls for a ride. A funhouse with magical elements that moves on its own and has stories inside various rooms. That could work well as a themed ride. Just my two cents.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom