"Encanto" Coming Fall 2021

Sir_Cliff

Oddly I didn't know the term made it further than the United States. I have little connection to Mexico (just 2 families) and neither use it either. Latino was an American term anyway which is why I didn't realize it made it south. Latinx in Spanish just is silly to say. I follow the wishes of all of course but among those I know, gender neutral Spanish speakers like Latiné or Latin@ (or Latinao pronounced like "lah teen ow" I think - I suck at phonetics lol). My kid even learned the latter in Spanish and uses it all the time in class. He has a few gender fluid friends as well who use they in English. Some just even use Latinos instead of Latin@ or Latiné)

The film looks amazing though. I am looking forward to it and very glad to see another culture represented. Often people just think one culture within all of the Hispanic people out there so I am thrilled to see more representation!
It is an interesting phenomenon and I think those that use it in Mexico are still a very small minority. The people I am thinking of are younger, a lot of them LGBT, and it expresses itself more in the uses of "X" such as amigxs when writing online. It seems a bit curious to me every time I see it as I don't know how you would say that, but then I always liked the "amig@s" form of writing which I know that the Mexico City government has been using in public campaigns for at least a decade or so. Looking at job ads at US universities, it seems Latino Studies doesn't exist anymore, only LatinX Studies.

At any rate, very excited for this film. It irritates me no end the comments on here every time someone suggests a Colombia (or really any South American) pavilion at World Showcase, so it might do some good to have a film showcasing Colombian culture in this way.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Casting call out for a Mirabel character role in Disneyland -

Screen Shot 2021-08-28 at 9.48.02 AM.png

DCBaker

Premium Member
After the theatrical release on November 24th, Encanto will hit Disney+ 30 days later -

“Some of our movies will have short windows,” he said pointing to Disney Animation’s upcoming Thanksgiving release Encanto which will go on the service after 30 days of theatrical in time for Christmas.

doctornick

After the theatrical release on November 24th, Encanto will hit Disney+ 30 days later -

“Some of our movies will have short windows,” he said pointing to Disney Animation’s upcoming Thanksgiving release Encanto which will go on the service after 30 days of theatrical in time for Christmas.

Hmmm. How does this work with the agreement that Disney had with theaters about a 45 day window? I guess that wasn't binding of course, but it does seem like a bit of a reversal.

FutureCEO

Trailer looks good but did Disney spoil the film with the house falling and the main character having to find her magic. Even though she can talk to the house.

Two things could happen: 1) she finds magic and saves the day 2) some crap that Disney would do. Magic is family

Last edited:

Dear Prudence

I am so excited about Antonio!!!!!! I am actually very surprised that this film isn't afraid to show the diversity in Latinx/ Latine families (which, speaking from personal experience, is always controversial :arghh:o_O). Especially after they completely omitted Afro-Mexicans from Coco, I didn't think they would be that brave! Not a fan of LMM (he's the most grating person who has to insert himself in all his fan fiction), but will still be ready to see this! Madrigal is a special name to me, personally, so I cannot wait.

Dear Prudence

Music alone appeals to my 13yo boy. He doesn't care if movies are predominantly female characters or not. Didn't stop him from enjoying Raya or Brave.
Yeah, as a kid, I didn't think of movies as being "boy movies" or "girl movies," I just love them. Kids of all genders can see themselves in whatever characters they see themselves in, regardless of gender. I think we don't give kids enough credit in that regard.

correcaminos

Yeah, as a kid, I didn't think of movies as being "boy movies" or "girl movies," I just love them. Kids of all genders can see themselves in whatever characters they see themselves in, regardless of gender. I think we don't give kids enough credit in that regard.
Funny you quoted this now. We are doing Matilda Jr at middle school. My boy was cast as Agatha Trunchbull and playing her in a skirt even. Some kids at first didn't get it, but now my kid is Trunchbull and so many tell me that's how they see him - just as Trunchbull. We call my kid he and she all the time. He just sees himself as Trunch. Kids are mostly awesome like that.

Dear Prudence

I saw toys of Antonio in Target and cried. I'm going to buy some for my future kids. I don't think non-Latin people understand how important having such a visible Afro-Latine character is. We have a lot g way to go, and one Disney movie isn't going to change everything, but it really is amazing that they're taking such a huge risk. Latin bigots are already on their nonsense. 🤣

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom