"Encanto" Coming Fall 2021

NateD1226

Original Poster
Another look at three of the characters from the movie.

1624204762838.png

Jedijax719

Very colorful, very vibrant, and very visual. However, with ONLY female main characters, it is extremely targeted toward 8-12 year old girls only. It's basically an animated version of the Disney+ Launch Pad series.

And not being a princess movie, that could be rather problematic for it.

dreday3

Very colorful, very vibrant, and very visual. However, with ONLY female main characters, it is extremely targeted toward 8-12 year old girls only. It's basically an animated version of the Disney+ Launch Pad series.

Nah.

This will be as popular as Coco! I see this appealing to all people of all ages.

Jedijax719

Well I hope they can give a clear synopsis, because right now all we have is a premise. Luca has a premise but is extremely weak on plot and narrative.

Oh, and not to mention that Mirabel, a teenage girl, is being voiced by a 40-year old. Yikes!

dreday3

Well I hope they can give a clear synopsis, because right now all we have is a premise. Luca has a premise but is extremely weak on plot and narrative.

Oh, and not to mention that Mirabel, a teenage girl, is being voiced by a 40-year old. Yikes!

I wouldn't have know that until you said it. I highly doubt that will matter to most people.

I think it looks great, can't wait to see it.

NateD1226

Original Poster
A new Entertainment Weekly article that includes interviews with Lin-Manuel Miranda and Stephanie Beatriz (who voices Mirabel) just came out with some more details about the film. Joining Stephanie Beatriz in the cast will be María Cecilia Botero, Wilmer Valderrama, Adassa, Diane Guerrero, Mauro Castillo, Angie Cepeda, Jessica Darrow, Rhenzy Feliz, and Carolina Gaitan.

Jabbas

Between Luca, all the Star Wars and Marvel stuff that’s coming out, especially on Disneyplus, I don’t mind if this is “catered” to girls. Personally to be to it looks like it appeals to all ages. I’m loving all the colors. I loved Luca, looks like this one is going to be a hit as well.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Bart Simpson is voiced by a female. Yikes!!

The Simpson's will never get off the ground.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Between Luca, all the Star Wars and Marvel stuff that’s coming out, especially on Disneyplus, I don’t mind if this is “catered” to girls. Personally to be to it looks like it appeals to all ages. I’m loving all the colors. I loved Luca, looks like this one is going to be a hit as well.
Apparently, with male leads, Luca and Coco were 'boy movies' and catered to boys and will never be fully appreciated by audiences.

correcaminos

Music alone appeals to my 13yo boy. He doesn't care if movies are predominantly female characters or not. Didn't stop him from enjoying Raya or Brave.

Last edited:

correcaminos

Does that mean that there will be multiple main characters or does it specifically mean that the main character won't be identified as either male nor female?(gender non-specific character). Because from what I read, that is what Latinx means.
Latinx is an English word used to describe what we used to call Latinos. History of Latino comes from using the word Latin and making it for Spanish Speakers. So it became Latino/a - with Latinos being plural non gendered. Woke people decided that gendered language was wrong and started using Latinx. Roughly 3% of Latinos have ever used Latinx to describe themselves. Roughly a quarter have heard of it and understand it. One can use Latinos for they (male or female) Latiné or Latinao/Latin@ which are all Spanish speaker based gender neutral terms. When people now use Latinx they mean Latino, not necessarily gender neutral. Honestly wish they'd drop the stupid Latinx and listen to Latinos out there...

Hi from a latinx I take it to mean they dont have a gender yet for the main character. On top of that lantinx over all is more empowering. Many of my friends identify as latinx even thought we have genders. Its more than just gender it also is about pride for us.

Also reading through the article it just seems that they meant the family will be latinx. Probably a mother figure (latina) father fihhre (latino), and at least one child.
I'd say based on studies your people are in the minority. My hatred of Latinx is the history and using English to erase a language. None of my Latino family or friends uses or promotes it. I've never met one in person who picks it over the Spanish options I listed. Using proper gender is empowering but not at the expense of erasing culture and langage. Spoken as one who uses they/them pronouns often to be safe.

Sir_Cliff

Latinx is an English word used to describe what we used to call Latinos. History of Latino comes from using the word Latin and making it for Spanish Speakers. So it became Latino/a - with Latinos being plural non gendered. Woke people decided that gendered language was wrong and started using Latinx. Roughly 3% of Latinos have ever used Latinx to describe themselves. Roughly a quarter have heard of it and understand it. One can use Latinos for they (male or female) Latiné or Latinao/Latin@ which are all Spanish speaker based gender neutral terms. When people now use Latinx they mean Latino, not necessarily gender neutral. Honestly wish they'd drop the stupid Latinx and listen to Latinos out there...

I'd say based on studies your people are in the minority. My hatred of Latinx is the history and using English to erase a language. None of my Latino family or friends uses or promotes it. I've never met one in person who picks it over the Spanish options I listed. Using proper gender is empowering but not at the expense of erasing culture and langage. Spoken as one who uses they/them pronouns often to be safe.
Interested to read your perspective on this. I have some friends in Mexico who seem to use Latinx, but I have also read a lot of discomfort about the term as essentially an English-language/US imposition that few people with Latin American heritage relate to. I don't really have a dog in the race as the term doesn't apply to me, but it does seem a word that only makes sense in English. Latiné or latines is at least pronounceable in Spanish.

Anyway, the film looks fantastic! Colombia is such a beautiful country and I'm very happy to see Disney produce a film set there.

correcaminos

Interested to read your perspective on this. I have some friends in Mexico who seem to use Latinx, but I have also read a lot of discomfort about the term as essentially an English-language/US imposition that few people with Latin American heritage relate to. I don't really have a dog in the race as the term doesn't apply to me, but it does seem a word that only makes sense in English. Latiné or latines is at least pronounceable in Spanish.

Anyway, the film looks fantastic! Colombia is such a beautiful country and I'm very happy to see Disney produce a film set there.
Oddly I didn't know the term made it further than the United States. I have little connection to Mexico (just 2 families) and neither use it either. Latino was an American term anyway which is why I didn't realize it made it south. Latinx in Spanish just is silly to say. I follow the wishes of all of course but among those I know, gender neutral Spanish speakers like Latiné or Latin@ (or Latinao pronounced like "lah teen ow" I think - I suck at phonetics lol). My kid even learned the latter in Spanish and uses it all the time in class. He has a few gender fluid friends as well who use they in English. Some just even use Latinos instead of Latin@ or Latiné)

The film looks amazing though. I am looking forward to it and very glad to see another culture represented. Often people just think one culture within all of the Hispanic people out there so I am thrilled to see more representation!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom