News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

ToTBellHop

Maybe after...
  • two dinosaur movies that didn't do well,
  • an Ellen's-with-dinosaur ride that didn't do well in the end,
  • a DinoRama which people didn't care for,
  • a dino coaster which was just a wild mouse coaster that people complained about for being jerky,
  • a dino-spinner was was a boring spinner
  • and a DINOSAUR ride that people also complained for being jerky and nowhere near as good as its Indy clone...
Disney threw in the towel on dinosaurs.

Could they totally revamp and make a new, good dino land? Maaaayybeee. But that is just the sunk cost fallacy at work.

Universal knows not to compete with Disney princesses with their own princesses. Disney needs to acknowledge they lost the dinosaur theme park battle.
They should have just plopped a launching coaster called TyrannoCoaster down along the side (and partially over) of the Discovery River. That would‘ve made up for the rest of the land being mid at best.

mikejs78

Premium Member
EPCOT is removing most of the educational elements and the ones that exist aren’t popular with average guests,

Journey of Water would like a word with you.

DAK is the holdout only because it has the benefit of being a zoo and having staff who are knowledgeable and passionate about the animals and their environment.

And the fact that it's animal exhibits are very popular.

The Leader of the Club

Why is this the answer? How about just improving dinoland and making it awesome? People enjoy the theme. There's no reason to give up on it just to put in Encanto which they could make an excuse to put anywhere at this point anyway.
We’re making a lot of statements bout how “people like Dinoland/Dinosaur,” but I think that if that were true Disney wouldn’t be doing this. They have so much research and so much data. They know more about what the majority of their guests want than we do. We just know what people in the online theme park bubble want.

DisneyDodo

Journey of Water would like a word with you.
While it’s true that JoW technically contains educational elements, I don’t think that’s what drives its demand. Rather, I think its popularity stems from (a) its ties to a hot IP, (b) the neat water effects, and (c) it being the newest attraction in the park.

I haven’t seen any polling data on this, but I’d be shocked if most guests were visiting JoW because they’re clamoring to learn more about the water cycle.

Bill Cipher

In the Parks
Yes
I think it's quite silly to say that because Uni has good dinosaur attractions up the road that Disney shouldn't attempt to do anything with dinosaurs ever again. I know realistically it's a bit of a long shot they ever do something like Dinosaur/CTX again but it's not that they're avoiding dinos because they're losing some dino war with Uni, it's simply because of the tragic IP mandate.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
it's simply because of the tragic IP mandate.
As I mentioned above, it's more than the poor showing of two dinosaur movies (especially when you compare theme to Jurassic Park/World).

Disney failed to make outstanding dinosaur attractions.

And yes, DINOSAUR has its adherents. But it also has significant detractors.

It's not so much that "it has to have a theatrical IP," as it is "it has to be beloved."

Beloved enough to attract guests, get high GSATs, and push merch.

And not because there are people who want a dinosaur attraction. There are a lot of people wanting a lot of different types of attractions... and they're not going to get what they want.

The Leader of the Club

I haven’t seen any polling data on this, but I’d be shocked if most guests were visiting JoW because they’re clamoring to learn more about the water cycle.
Guests aren’t clamoring to learn about anything at these parks. They aren’t clamoring to go on SSE to learn about the history of communication. They aren’t clamoring to learn how to “live with the land.” They are clamoring to ride fun attractions and see their favorite characters. Disney is only focused on giving guests what they want. If WDI can find ways to inspire or teach along the way, great. They haven’t been doing much of that lately, but Moana proves that they can if they want to.

The Leader of the Club

They chose to lose it. They could have won.
I don’t think they could have. I think the brand recognition of the Jurassic series would trounce whatever Disney could do. Sure, they could have the better attractions (they debatably already do), but they’ll never be synonymous with dinosaurs in the way that Universal is. As long as Universal keeps marketing Jurassic Park as a core franchise, nothing original that Disney does would touch it.

osian

While it’s true that JoW technically contains educational elements, I don’t think that’s what drives its demand. Rather, I think its popularity stems from (a) its ties to a hot IP, (b) the neat water effects, and (c) it being the newest attraction in the park.

Disney's aim has always, always been to learn while you're having fun. They have always done what we describe as "edutainment". The idea that this is now being rejected is silly.

Fox&Hound

I’m sorry but part of the blame lies on The Good Dinosaur. Had that movie not been a bomb, the land could have received some IP elements and it would have helped its longevity.

Indiana Jones is such an exciting addition. Still confused why Encanto is a boat ride, but these additions will bring life to that corner of the park and Ak as a whole. So exciting!

KDM31091

I am guessing Dinosaur doesn’t move as much merch as they want which is probably a large part of the issue, but I can tell you from moonlight magic the other night, Dinosaur and dinoland were packed. The lines for the games were very long (yes they were free, but my point is people still felt the need to spend time going over there) and the ride itself was also crowded. Trust me, it’s not unpopular, but… Disney wants to shove IP in so that it can be popular and sell lots of merch. Which hey, I get it. They’re a business. But it doesn’t mean it’s not sad to see another piece of older school Disney fade away to give way to more IP.
I truly hope whatever replaces Dinoland (since we really at this time have no official announcement regarding specific attractions) is at least well done and keeping with the spirit of the park and not just a phoned in mishmash of IP.

Having said all that if given proper attention and budget Dinoland could be awesome again and even more popular, ditto for the ride itself, which, I’m sorry, would not have lasted this long if it were truly totally unpopular at all times.

Alas part of being a theme park fan and Disney fan is sometimes saying goodbye to our favorite attractions but, I still can feel it’s an atrocity to see another original idea and land thrown away for IP.

Brer Panther

We’re making a lot of statements bout how “people like Dinoland/Dinosaur,” but I think that if that were true Disney wouldn’t be doing this.
People liked Splash Mountain, too (at least before 2020), but that didn't stop them from getting rid of THAT.
Guests aren’t clamoring to learn about anything at these parks. They aren’t clamoring to go on SSE to learn about the history of communication. They aren’t clamoring to learn how to “live with the land.” They are clamoring to ride fun attractions and see their favorite characters. Disney is only focused on giving guests what they want. If WDI can find ways to inspire or teach along the way, great. They haven’t been doing much of that lately, but Moana proves that they can if they want to.
So what you're implying is that people who go to theme parks are dumb hicks who hate anything that doesn't have an IP attached to it and clap whenever they see their favorite character in an attraction, even if that attraction is mediocre? I should also point out that Spaceship Earth always has long lines whenever I'm at EPCOT.
I’m sorry but part of the blame lies on The Good Dinosaur. Had that movie not been a bomb, the land could have received some IP elements and it would have helped its longevity.
Maybe if people had actually seen it or watched it on Disney Plus (I haven't seen it myself, but I doubt it's as bad as everyone makes it out to be), it would have done better.

Horizonsfan

Guests aren’t clamoring to learn about anything at these parks. They aren’t clamoring to go on SSE to learn about the history of communication. They aren’t clamoring to learn how to “live with the land.” They are clamoring to ride fun attractions and see their favorite characters.
There’s a lot declarative statements in here with no proof to back them up other than “see what Disney did”. That’s not a smoking gun.

I could conversely argue that SSE’s consistent 15-30 minute waits mean guests do enjoy learning. Or that Test Track consistently has one of the longest waits in the park. Those are both just as arbitrary. @lentesta and a few of our other insiders are about the only one here with authoritative data on what is or isn’t liked.

Disney is only focused on giving guests what they want.
This seems like a myopic way of looking at their business motivations. The main focus is what makes the most profit for less money spent. The IP enables them to sell otherwise irrelevant merchandise that comes with a pretty nice markup. Eg. it’s cheaper for Disney to sell the same generic & non-park specific Encanto merch at multiple parks than custom ride merch at only one park.

The IP also reminds people of the source film, leading to rewatchings via Disney+ or other purchased media. Leading to better revenue in other business sectors.

Disney obviously does not want disgruntled customers, but their number one focus is not “giving the guests what they want”, it’s what’s best for The Walt Disney Co’s bottom line.*

* - not trying to shame the company, they should be focused on remaining profitable, though it can be argued they’ve crossed the line into greediness on numerous occasions.

doctornick

I don’t think they could have. I think the brand recognition of the Jurassic series would trounce whatever Disney could do. Sure, they could have the better attractions (they debatably already do), but they’ll never be synonymous with dinosaurs in the way that Universal is. As long as Universal keeps marketing Jurassic Park as a core franchise, nothing original that Disney does would touch it.
I disagree. Jurassic is framed as dinosaurs as monsters/dangerous. Disney absolutely could do counter programming of showing the wonder and inspiration of dinosaurs and human beings’ love affair with them. I honestly don’t get why Disney is just quitting there where it’s absolutely a big enough concept to “share” with Uni.

djkidkaz

This. If you ask 100 people what their favorite ride of their vacation was its going to be Guardians, Tower of Terror, Rise, Flight of Passage, etc. with maybe 10 of those people saying something like SSE or Carousel of Progress. The other rides are a nice complement to those major experiences though and should continue to be created. But the data that Disney will see on paper is that 90% of its Guests prefer a roller coaster like Guardians over a slow-moving educational ride like SSE.So in the board meetings you get "Well the data shows Guests aren't really connecting with the educational attractions anymore and really have gravitated towards bigger and faster!"

Skibum1970

Maybe if people had actually seen it or watched it on Disney Plus (I haven't seen it myself, but I doubt it's as bad as everyone makes it out to be), it would have done better.

I watched it one time and it was tough to get through. Aside from a couple almost cute moments, it wasn't anything to get excited about. It was on par with the movies that came out in the early 2000's which isn't saying much (ex. Treasure Planet and Brother Bear). I actually enjoy Dinosaur/CTX and haven't found it rough. I also enjoyed the Indy ride at Disneyland and never felt that the two were so similar due to the settings. However, if changing to Dino to Indy keeps the ride going, I'll probably ride it and enjoy it as well. I'm more excited about an Encanto ride and what the area upgrades as well as the ride will be like.

erasure fan1

I did watch it. I would have to watch it again to make a final decision. But I didn't think it was that bad. I wouldn't put it as a top pixar film but it wasn't nearly as bad as what the majority of people said about it. Of course my expectations could have been so low from all the hate on it that I was pleasantly surprised. Lol
I disagree. Jurassic is framed as dinosaurs as monsters/dangerous. Disney absolutely could do counter programming of showing the wonder and inspiration of dinosaurs and human beings’ love affair with them. I honestly don’t get why Disney is just quitting there where it’s absolutely a big enough concept to “share” with Uni.
I'm right there with you. Dinosaurs are well loved enough that multiple concepts could be successful. Disney could have very easily leaned into the wonder like you said. I can understand changing Dinosaur in AK because at this point it does seem like a discount Jurassic park. But it could have very easily been updated to something of a cross between universe of energy and Dinosaur. Give it a little Disney thrill and the wonder of dinosaurs, and you can have success. Unfortunately Disney and no IP has gone the same way as dinosaurs. Extinct.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom