News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

imagineer97

In the Parks
No
I think they have been hesitant to attempt an attraction based on this IP because the entire experience an audience could experience in that world cannot truly be surpassed, substituted, or sequelized from the 1994 animated movie.

If it’s attempted, I think you could do an omnimover ride with vignettes of the Circle of Life in the pridelands (life and death, water and the savannah, sun and storm, predator and prey, migration, stampedes) with Rafiki narrating and Timon and Pumbaa providing some commentary, with the grand finale being an immersive recreation of the opening of The Lion King. Think of something like HM or SSE but it’s in the Animal Kingdom and it is based on what is probably the most quintessentially WDAS creation since Snow White, if not the Mouse himself.
FYI there is now a dedicated Lion King to AK rumor thread: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/lion-king-flume-ride-being-considered-for-animal-kingdom.983565/

TrainsOfDisney

I’m still a little bent out of shape over Pixar Pier and feel like it is a downgrade from the 2012 DCA, but the Incredibles did make California Screamin’ better.
Idk about that one…. The only thing I liked about Pixar Pier was the themed games with unique prizes, and the Pixar Orchestra.

Incredicoaster is basically six flags level of theming to me.

osian

I’m still a little bent out of shape over Pixar Pier and feel like it is a downgrade from the 2012 DCA, but the Incredibles did make California Screamin’ better.
No, no, no ,no, LOL! Regardless of what the opinion is about the boardwalk and California theme of the area and park, California Screamin', was designed perfectly for that aesthetic. The classic wood-looking structure and the onboard carnival music (especially the rising and falling music as you go over the airtime hills towards the end, which always made me laugh, and the ascent music up the simulated chain lift, and the screams), there is just nothing Incredibles about the area or the ride and that's just a tcky overlay which removes the original cohesive design. Of course, the "pier" theme is still there, they haven't replaced the infrastructure, but the Incredibles and Pixar overlay have nothing to do with a boardwalk theme and they don't enhance it it any way. It's another example of unrelated IP being forced in to an existing brilliant imagineered design, where it inevitably sits awkwardly. You agree that Pixar Pier is a downgrade from Paradise Pier but I don't understand how you see Incredicoaster as an exception and actually better than the original.

[PS. And I still giggle over the name California Screamin', it was just so clever. One of those satisfying things. Or annoying in that how can someone be so good as to have thought up a name like that.]

Last edited:

PREMiERdrum

No, no, no ,no, LOL! Regardless of what the opinion is about the boardwalk and California theme of the area and park, California Screamin', was designed perfectly for that aesthetic. The classic wood-looking structure and the onboard carnival music (especially the rising and falling music as you go over the airtime hills towards the end, which always made me laugh, and the ascent music up the simulated chain lift, and the screams), there is just nothing Incredibles about the area or the ride and that's just a tcky overlay which removes the original cohesive design. Of course, the "pier" theme is still there, they haven't replaced the infrastructure, but the Incredibles and Pixar overlay have nothing to do with a boardwalk theme and they don't enhance it it any way. It's another example of unrelated IP being forced in to an existing brilliant imagineered design, where it inevitably sits awkwardly. You agree that Pixar Pier is a downgrade from Paradise Pier but I don't understand how you see Incredicoaster as an exception and actually better than the original.

[PS. And I still giggle over the name California Screamin', it was just so clever. One of those satisfying things. Or annoying in that how can someone be so good as to have thought up a name like that.]
DCA2.0 was a wildly successful park overhaul. It didn't address every corner that needed it, but it got so much right that the underachieving areas seemed less offensive. 2012 Paradise Pier was a night-to-day improvement the likes of which we don't see from the mouse anymore.

Then, the wrong group of people started tinkering where things were already great while ignoring the areas still in need of depth.

Today, it has a pretty solid collection of attractions with no real cohesive thread between them.

ToTBellHop

DCA2.0 was a wildly successful park overhaul. It didn't address every corner that needed it, but it got so much right that the underachieving areas seemed less offensive. 2012 Paradise Pier was a night-to-day improvement the likes of which we don't see from the mouse anymore.

Then, the wrong group of people started tinkering where things were already great while ignoring the areas still in need of depth.

Today, it has a pretty solid collection of attractions with no real cohesive thread between them.
So let’s add Pandora.

doctornick

Does anyone know if there is plans for a new nighttime show replacing RoL for DAK at some point? Would that be part of potential entertainment investments for 2025? Or would they wait until stuff like Tropical Americas is done so they can justify the longer hours better?

And any consideration for a daytime show in the theater? Something better than the kites ideally

PREMiERdrum

Is Pandora supposed to be added in the (current) Hollywoodland area of DCA? Or is it expected to be part of a park expansion as part of Disneyland Forward (there was once concepts out there of expanding the park over Disneyland Drive)?
I have no idea exactly where they're planning to add this Avatar "experience." The joke you quoted from me was about that corner of DCA having all the draw and charm of an abandoned Six Flags.
Does anyone know if there is plans for a new nighttime show replacing RoL for DAK at some point? Would that be part of potential entertainment investments for 2025? Or would they wait until stuff like Tropical Americas is done so they can justify the longer hours better?

And any consideration for a daytime show in the theater? Something better than the kites ideally
Nighttime: Yes. Drones, planning stages. No leaks to me on timeline.
Daytime: In that space? Nothing I know of.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It was in @Henry Mystic's info dump...

Animal Kingdom:
  • Tropical America’s replacing Dinoland
    • Indiana Jones Adventure,
    • Encanto dark ride,
    • Central American animals throughout the land
  • Lion King ride for Africa,
  • Zootopia show replacing “It’s tough to be a bug,”
  • new night show with more fountains and drones.

Magic Kingdom:
  • Beyond Big Thunder (amounts to the size of Galaxy’s Edge [which is 14 acres])
    • Site work to begin shortly
    • Frontierland expansion
    • and a new Villains Land .
  • Additionally, the Moana boat ride originally slated for Animal Kingdom will go in Adventureland between Pirates and Jungle Cruise.
  • Tomorrowland Speedway will be different.
  • Big Thunder Mountain receives an update.
  • Stitch will not be in its current state for much longer.
  • New Night Parade.

Epcot:
  • Test Track redo opens summer of 2025,
  • The Spaceship Earth update will likely be announced and will start once Test Track comes back online.
  • I’d expect to hear one more announcement for EPCOT.
  • Keep a close eye on the Figment project on Disney Plus.
  • I've heard Inside Out will find someplace to go at EPCOT,
  • but remember, some of these projects aren't as far along as others.
  • Inside Out and Figment should both have a larger presence at WDW in the coming years.

Hollywood Studios:
  • New land to replace Launch Bay.
  • Rock n’ Rollercoaster retheme as well.
  • Falcon mission update at HWS and DL.

Disneyland Resort:
  • New, unique Avatar land using the Shanghai pirates boat technology at DLR.
  • PeopleMover comes back in a new way at Disneyland Park
  • alongside significant changes to the land.
  • Hollywoodland will go away.
  • A Disney Springs-esque shopping district will be officially announced alongside plans for a new transit configuration for the resort.
  • The Avenger’s E-ticket gets an actual announcement.

New Gates:
  • There are plans for new parks at both Disneyland Resort Anaheim and Walt Disney World after all of these expansions (and a few others). [that 'after' means after the 10 years of the $60B investment]

Walt Disney Studios:
  • Gets its own Avatar land
  • and a Lion King land.
  • Other misc. project in the existing part of the park.

Disneyland Parc Paris:
  • A larger than Soarin’ sum, so perhaps Soarin’/Soaring 2.0,
  • Indiana Jones Adventure,
  • or even a new version of Rise of the Resistance.
  • I’d fully expect either a new land or two new rides including an E-ticket in total.
  • Space Mountain will be back at DLP!

Shanghai:
  • New Marvel Land,
  • Toy Story Mania as well.

Hong Kong
  • will get an E-ticket in Tomorrowland still.

Kites 2.0!!!

(Nothing I've seen anyone say)

doctornick

It was in @Henry Mystic's info dump...

The timeline was really my main question, as opposed to whether they will "ever" do a show again. I guess I'm wondering if a show would be done in the shorter term - before Tropical Americas and the LK/Pandora addition - or if they will wait until they add more stuff before extending the hours.

In one sense, adding some big scale entertainment would help to improve the "not enough to do" critique for DAK. But since they'd end up having to extend park hours to make a night show workable, you exacerbate the problem of filling up guests' time all day.

I actually think a Mythica-esque daytime show would be the best option for DAK in the shorter term. Something that improves the offerings in the park but is done during the day so can fit with current hours.

Andrew25

The timeline was really my main question, as opposed to whether they will "ever" do a show again. I guess I'm wondering if a show would be done in the shorter term - before Tropical Americas and the LK/Pandora addition - or if they will wait until they add more stuff before extending the hours.

In one sense, adding some big scale entertainment would help to improve the "not enough to do" critique for DAK. But since they'd end up having to extend park hours to make a night show workable, you exacerbate the problem of filling up guests' time all day.

I actually think a Mythica-esque daytime show would be the best option for DAK in the shorter term. Something that improves the offerings in the park but is done during the day so can fit with current hours.
I'd imagine they'll go with this in the short-term. Keep park hours at the 6-7PM closing range, while possibly having lagoon shows later in the afternoon to provide capacity.

Issue I see is that in the summer those bleachers are hot and I can't imagine sitting in the sun for more than 20 minutes.

Once we get Tropical America and Lion King, I think Disney can justify 8-9PM closures more regularly. Got to sell dinner packages and 3-4 extra hours of LL revenue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom