News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

doctornick

Personally, I have a big problem with people applying legit complaints about Dinorama (cheap looking carnival theme being incongruous for a Disney park) to the whole of Dinoland USA (which is a solid land when taking into account Dinosaur/Boneyard, Restaurantasaurous/etc and there deserves to be a presence of dinosaurs/extinct creatures at the park).

Personally, I'd have preferred replacing Dinorama with a higher quality dinosaur themed attraction (e.g Excavator or even a slow moving dark ride to dinosaurs more like UoE). Or, failing that, just keeping the rest of Dinoland USA and detaching Nemo/Dinorama and making that into a different land (I was fine with a Moana/Oceania concept taking over that space if the rest of the Dinoland USA was not removed).

James Alucobond

Emptier does not mean unused. It still ate some people. This goes back to the alienation things that have been all over the place with the Cruiser, but it's that there are multiple groups upset here. You have a group upset about IP that seems to be just jammed into the park, you have a group upset about losing Dino because they love it (or at least what it could be), and then you have a group upset that it's a very real possibility we are going to again end up with a net negative in attractions. There is some overlap, but I think a lot would overlook one of these things, it's the combination of all three that's really got people upset. Then add in people do not have faith in Disney executing things with an overarching theme and vision in the parks anymore.
The problem is that we’re still talking about the potential over a quarter century later. The only elements of this land that have ever been interesting are CTX/Dinosaur, the Dig Site, and some of the non-carnival theming, and Disney has never shown any interest in developing the land beyond that. Any time in the past 15 years I’ve gone with anyone who is new to the parks, they’ve wondered at why the carnival is there. They go to Dinosaur and promptly exit the land. Is it sad that they never did more with it? Sure. Is it surprising or even all that catastrophic that they want to pursue an appropriately themed environment that is more conducive to the integration of their IP? If done correctly, I don’t think so.

erasure fan1

The problem is that we’re still talking about the potential over a quarter century later. The only elements of this land that have ever been interesting are CTX/Dinosaur, the Dig Site, and some of the non-carnival theming, and Disney has never shown any interest in developing the land beyond that.
I really think that the Jurassic ip being down the street had a lot to do with that. It's almost like they figured if they built it out, people would just think it's a wanna be Jurassic park land. Personally I'm going to be sad the dino theme is going away as I have always loved dinosaurs. And I think there was plenty of room for both parks to put their own spin on dinosaurs. But since that's not happening, as long as we get attractions that fit AK, and we end up plus on the attraction count, I'm ok with.

spectromagic04

Alicia Stella has commented on this she has reiterated the Indy rumors that it is not a clone and will fit AK.

Lion King flume ride apparently coming will eat into Animal space by the safari.

Encanto could be a boat ride or omnimover. Personally I don’t think a boat ride would make much sense.
Well that would suck if the Safari or Gorilla falls got shortened. I’m hoping her location is off and it’s being considered by the festival of lion king theater and the Club 33 building instead.

ToTBellHop

Alicia Stella has commented on this she has reiterated the Indy rumors that it is not a clone and will fit AK.

Lion King flume ride apparently coming will eat into Animal space by the safari.

Encanto could be a boat ride or omnimover. Personally I don’t think a boat ride would make much sense.
Not sure how much of KS could realistically be cut because of where Gorilla Falls is located (and they won’t give up their gorillas). There’s a little space after the warthogs where not many animals are seen and the ride’s climax was largely cut, but it’s not a ton of space. On the other side are rhinos and hippos. No way those are cut.

I had not heard animals exhibits would be impacted by the E-ticket.

PREMiERdrum

Not sure how much of KS could realistically be cut because of where Gorilla Falls is located (and they won’t give up their gorillas). There’s a little space after the warthogs where not many animals are seen and the ride’s climax was largely cut, but it’s not a ton of space. On the other side are rhinos and hippos. No way those are cut.

I had not heard animals exhibits would be impacted by the E-ticket.
A slightly rerouted Savannah Circle and relocated cast parking lot is what I was told.

Carving out any portion of KS or Gorilla Falls doesn't make sense, on, like, any front.

doctornick

Exactly. Whether they go with LK or Avatar, it would be off the really nice but underutilized walkway from Pandora to Africa.

Interesting. I agree that that area would make sense for an Africa/Lion King attraction. If they are doing something for Pandora though, I would have expecting them to use the designated expansion pad within the land (a bit south of NRJ, currently a parking lot)

ToTBellHop

Interesting. I agree that that area would make sense for an Africa/Lion King attraction. If they are doing something for Pandora though, I would have expecting them to use the designated expansion pad within the land (a bit south of NRJ, currently a parking lot)
There’s a rather large plot sitting there north of the mess hall. But, sure, they could use the parking lot if they prefer. I’d go with the area requiring less work, personally.

PREMiERdrum

Given the layout in the valley of Mo'ara, I wouldn't be surprised if a future Pandora addition was to the north, not south. Gobs of people clog up the space between both attraction entrances on even moderate days.

Although at this point it seems like LK has the edge.

ToTBellHop

Given the layout in the valley of Mo'ara, I wouldn't be surprised if a future Pandora addition was to the north, not south. Gobs of people clog up the space between both attraction entrances on even moderate days.

I think LK is probably better matched to the park’s needs and would pull guests to a slightly different park area at open. They’d love for the morning rush to go to three different destinations rather than the current one (Pandora) and soon two (Pandora and Tropical Americas).

Same reason for splitting Beyond Big Thunder and adding something to Adventureland along with less Frontierland expansion. And for adding something to DHS away from TSL and Batuu.

ToTBellHop

Imagine how bad the optics would be for Disney to encroach on the Savannah for more development. I hope they don’t do that lol
Not Little Red!
1713195307168.gif

Kuwa macho kwa wajangili.

In the Parks
No
This is the first I've heard that the Lion King attraction is a flume ride. Does that jive with what other insiders have heard? Because I was under the impression it was a dark ride of some sort, though I guess a flume ride certainly can be a dark ride as well.

doctornick

There’s a rather large plot sitting there north of the mess hall. But, sure, they could use the parking lot if they prefer. I’d go with the area requiring less work, personally.

Fair enough. I guess looking at the map, it seems you could add a LK attraction next to the theater (across from the bathrooms) and also still have room to the south to add a Pandora attraction along the same path but just north of the canteen.

So I'm cool with either. I think the argument for something new in Africa to draw people that direction makes a lot of sense and I'd be happy with that.

On the flip side, I think Pandora really needs a third attraction to buff up the land as it is a bit more isolated and both the rides there tend to get long waits. Honestly, I think a lesser attraction like a walk through in Pandora would be a good add there especially if they could preserve space for a bigger ride down the road.

doctornick

This is the first I've heard that the Lion King attraction is a flume ride. Does that jive with what other insiders have heard? Because I was under the impression it was a dark ride of some sort, though I guess a flume ride certainly can be a dark ride as well.

At the time when the FOTLK theater was build, insiders were saying a LK dark ride was under consideration for the area. But that seems to have fallen by the wayside. The ride reportedly being planned/built in Paris is apparently a flume ride and the expectation is that they might just put the same ride in DAK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom