News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

MerlinTheGoat

Restore the illusion of going through a left, center, and right door and now you’re talking!
That post was referring to the hypothetical Animal Kingdom version, which is rumored to be a rather substantial departure from the other two IJA versions. They probably won't include the three doors at all for this version. Even Tokyo didn't adapt it in their variant (opting to use all of that space on some really pretty and detailed physical temple scenery and even water features), and it's probably going to end up being much more similar to California's than whatever they do to DAK's.

britain

Right, so it wasn't exactly a flavor of the month IP. Can you imagine Iger's Disney building an attraction based on a box office failure? I'm still amazed we're getting a Princess and the Frog ride (that movie wasn't a box office failure per say, but Disney considered it one).

Yeah, the modern Mickey cartoons are popular now (or at least they were when the ride was announced)... if for no other reason than because it wasn't Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. Are they still going to be popular in ten years?
It already is 10 years after they premiered, and they are still popular.

MistaDee

I didn't say Lion King as a whole isn't a fit for the park (I thought this was clear via the context of the whole conversation); it's that a Lion King book report ride based on the movie isn't an especially great fit for the park.

We'd probably get a clone of the Lion King ride supposedly coming to Paris. That ride is unlikely to be a good fit at DAK.

I don't like Festival of the Lion King at all (seeing it once was more than enough) and would happily see the IP used in a different way in the park (actually it is at Rafiki's, but even beyond that).

"Probably clone unlikely" you're doing a lot of work to jump to the conclusion it's gonna suck. We simply don't know enough at this point to make that call so you can hold onto the pessimism until there's a reason for it.

Yeah, I doubt Mickey's Runaway Railway, for example, is gonna age well. Especially since they stopped production on those shorts.

There's a reason why they shut down American Idol Experience.

Gee, I wonder if Disney will keep that "Mickey" character relevant in the future....

As Mr. Penguin so eloquently put, some people seem determined to shake their fist at the sky no matter what. Hope you enjoyed the eclipse whilst doing so

MerlinTheGoat

That post was referring to the hypothetical Animal Kingdom version, which is rumored to be a rather substantial departure from the other two IJA versions. They probably won't include the three doors at all for this version. Even Tokyo didn't adapt it in their variant (opting to use all of that space on some really pretty and detailed physical temple scenery and even water features), and it's probably going to end up being much more similar to California's than whatever they do to DAK's.
BTW, to visually clarify what I meant, here's what Tokyo did to replace the room with the three doors.

Screenshot_20240408-190449_YouTube.jpg

1712617617039.jpeg

Quite attractive IMO. I again would not expect Disney to replicate the three door room from California again, so hopefully they can at least create something equally as nice as this for DAK.

WaltWiz1901

Alice was a box office failure. Walt even conceded that nobody really liked Alice.
Even then, it built up an audience anyway through television showings and theatrical reissues, so it's not like it wasn't able to make up for its underwhelming initial performance. Pinocchio and Fantasia gained an audience pretty much the same way.

lazyboy97o

Even then, it built up an audience anyway through television showings and theatrical reissues, so it's not like it wasn't able to make up for its underwhelming initial performance. Pinocchio and Fantasia gained an audience pretty much the same way.
It had an extremely edited television showing in 1954 and wasn’t officially rereleased until the 70s. That audience did not exist when the rides opened at Disneyland in 1955 and 1958.

UNCgolf

"Probably clone unlikely" you're doing a lot of work to jump to the conclusion it's gonna suck. We simply don't know enough at this point to make that call so you can hold onto the pessimism until there's a reason for it.

This is a wild overreaction to/misinterpretation of what I said. I never said a Lion King ride was going to suck, nor did I even remotely hint that it would suck.

The point is that a ride designed for DLP probably wouldn't work at DAK because they are very different parks. That doesn't mean the DLP ride would be bad.

Last edited:

Sam Magic

Right, so it wasn't exactly a flavor of the month IP. Can you imagine Iger's Disney building an attraction based on a box office failure? I'm still amazed we're getting a Princess and the Frog ride (that movie wasn't a box office failure per say, but Disney considered it one).

Yeah, the modern Mickey cartoons are popular now (or at least they were when the ride was announced)... if for no other reason than because it wasn't Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. Are they still going to be popular in ten years?
Are we seriously questioning whether or not Mickey Mouse will be popular and well-known in 10 years?

Kind of doesn't matter how he's drawn or pitched, it's Mickey Mouse.

In the Parks
No
What makes the other two Indy rides so great is how open the temple is on the inside. It gives the ride a sense of scale. To accomplish this at DAK they’ll need to tear down some walls. Hopefully they’re up to it.
That's what makes it so incredibly hard to believe this will be good. Think of how expensive it would have to be in order to be an upgrade!

sedati

View attachment 777240
Image of the temple mock-up. No forbidden eye. No crystal skull. There is something at the top though. Looks like a beast with a huge open mouth... and ears.

But in the concept art it's red. Seems odd.

View attachment 777243

Googling "Myan Red Temple" led to this:

View attachment 777241

Looks the same. It's called Rosalila Temple:

The beast is apparently a Jaguar.

This seems a clear inspiration. Disney has taken it and elongated it. I'd say the beast in the Disney version looks different. More like a snake or crocodile... or dinosaur. But in case they are going with Jaguars:

Either way, if this is the design, I love it. It is very distinct looking.

Amending my post, I found a better article here:

I misinterpreted the original article which referred to jaguar altars thinking that meant the face at the top was a jaguar, but apparently it's believed to be the face of a mythical mountain deity called a Yeti... I mean, a Witz.

"Mountains were central to Lowland Maya cosmology; the ancient Maya actually viewed their pyramidal buildings as mountains from which water and sustenance emerged. Accordingly, the builders of ancient Maya temples and carvers of ancient Maya sculptures marked architecture and places with what is known as the witz monster. These fantastic creatures are often portrayed with enlarged snouts and gaping jaws which represented overhangs and watery caves beneath mountains. On stelae, kings and queens often stand atop witz monsters, signaling their powers to mediate between the realm of mountainous nature and the human world"

Screen Shot 2024-04-08 at 11.09.08 PM.png

Again, Disney is clearly using the Rosalilia temple as inspiration but may veer off however their story needs.

homerdance

The IP mandate is, what, a decade old by now?

The die is cast.

For weal or woe, (almost) all new attractions will be IP based. Current attractions without a Disney IP will always be 'in danger' of being rethemed to a Disney IP.

What's surprising is that some people are still surprised by this.

Sure, it's OK to not like it. But, if you want new attractions, especially in a park that's in need of new attractions, you're going to get one of Disney's top ten IPs.

I trust attempts will be made to make it 'fit' the park/land. How successful that will be is yet to be seen. And each attraction will have its own success rate.

And until one knows the actual 'story' of a new attraction, one won't know how successful it will be. But if one wants to yell at a cloud or a black box... knock yourselves out.
What synergy looks like. Movie to attraction to stream to merch. More money.

MistaDee

This is a wild overreaction to/misinterpretation of what I said. I never said a Lion King ride was going to suck, nor did I even remotely hint that it would suck.

The point is that a ride designed for DLP probably wouldn't work at DAK because they are very different parks. That doesn't mean the DLP ride would be bad.

If anything the point I'm making is that YOU are overreacting. We don't know if it's a book report, we don't know if it will be cloned so you're getting way ahead of yourself to conclude that it won't fit the AK.

Tha Realest

What synergy looks like. Movie to attraction to stream to merch. More money.
But what happens when the studios fall flat, and feed the synergy machine gunk that fails to resonate with audiences, guests, or consumers?

And before someone says, “But Marvel!”, they’re prohibited from using the majority of their characters at WDW, which is probably a good thing based on how they have used them at DCA.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
But what happens when the studios fall flat, and feed the synergy machine gunk that fails to resonate with audiences, guests, or consumers?

And before someone says, “But Marvel!”, they’re prohibited from using the majority of their characters at WDW, which is probably a good thing based on how they have used them at DCA.
There is *already* enough IP to mine for a decade. Surely in the next ten years there will be another big hit or two before Disney has to rely on other studios' IP to use, like Universal does.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom