News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

UNCgolf

It's a weirdly polarizing attraction. I feel the opposite, where I think that almost all other trackless Disney rides waste an enormous amount of space. BatB maximizes its footprint by allowing each scene to evolve around the vehicles as they dance to the music. I thought it was much more clever than Rise.

Even BatB wastes a lot of space (and time) in the outdoors scene. They should have had the vehicles move from there into the library, which is one of the most memorable settings in the film (even though it only appears for a short period).

It has some other design flaws, but overall it looks like one of the best attractions Disney has built in the last decade.

flyerjab

With this possible expansion looming in the future, and if Rohde was still overseeing it, there is almost no way he’d be on board without something related to the rain forest, how important it is to this planet, the pure number of species that live there, how it is being threatened, etc. If this is basically “here are the Tropical Americas and here are 3 IPs that occurred there” but nothing more related to animals from this part of the world or the dangers posed due to deforestation, that will demonstrate such a lack of imagination. It will really continue to demonstrate how Iger has ripped the very soul out of what Imagineering is capable of doing. Epcot definitely demonstrates this, and DAK will follow. Heck, Rohde even managed to fit messaging into Pandora about poor mining practices and the importance of keystone species. No way Iger cared one iota about that. Do I think Bruce Vaughn has the type of clout to make a stand about something like this? Doubtful. We will see I suppose.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Even BatB wastes a lot of space (and time) in the outdoors scene. They should have had the vehicles move from there into the library, which is one of the most memorable settings in the film (even though it only appears for a short period).

It has some other design flaws, but overall it looks like one of the best attractions Disney has built in the last decade.
From what I've seen in the video of it, I agree.

The Something There is practically nothing there. But the rest of it is engaging for what it is: A tour of the musical numbers from BatB.

Altho, they could have plussed the queue with a lot of animatronic furnishings and cookware that moved, even a little. It's rather flat.

bmr1591

With this possible expansion looming in the future, and if Rohde was still overseeing it, there is almost no way he’d be on board without something related to the rain forest, how important it is to this planet, the pure number of species that live there, how it is being threatened, etc. If this is basically “here are the Tropical Americas and here are 3 IPs that occurred there” but nothing more related to animals from this part of the world or the dangers posed due to deforestation, that will demonstrate such a lack of imagination. It will really continue to demonstrate how Iger has ripped the very soul out of what Imagineering is capable of doing. Epcot definitely demonstrates this, and DAK will follow. Heck, Rohde even managed to fit messaging into Pandora about poor mining practices and the importance of keystone species. No way Iger cared one iota about that. Do I think Bruce Vaughn has the type of clout to make a stand about something like this? Doubtful. We will see I suppose.

I don’t know Vaughn, but it certainly seems like when he was hired, the original AK plans of Zootopia land were shelved quickly. I’m hopeful he and D’Amaro respect the park enough to do it right.

Tonto

Somehow, Indiana Jones still feels like the most strange proposal of all.

Barring obscure books and such, Indy movies consistently portray animals as obstacles. Indy's most famous quote is about hating a type of animal. I have seen a few people toss around the idea of an Indy-themed snake exhibit, but wouldn't it be a bit contradictory? Indiana Jones movies, for all of their cinematic accomplishments, aren't exactly known for engendering positive feelings/respect toward snakes.

They could try a "Indy tries to conquer his fear of snakes" angle, but I really don't know how that could be done within Indy's adventure serial world.
They could do an awesome snake exhibit tied into the attraction! Maybe with a South American Temple/Pyramid?
That could actually work!

I also don't think the ride will be cannon based.

splah

having only ridden BatB via youtube (but i do have experience with rise and MMRR) there's something to be said for tracked vehicles that allow the environments to be up close and personal (mr. toad, HM, pirates). in my opinion the ride vehicles are to blame b/c they are so massive. and then they want them to interact within each vehicle group, and that requires a lot of floor space. poohs hunny hunt gets the scale right and adds interest to its scenes by not having the rooms be so boxy.

BrianLo

So do we have any idea about any timeframe? Will there be an official announce (I guess D23 this summer)? Or would they start construction “quietly” before anything official? @wdwmagic

It could *theoretically* be a phased 2026-27 project (Indy/the broader land '26 and the Encanto attraction '27).

If they are panicky or pressured enough to make this come together that is.

TheMaxRebo

It could *theoretically* be a phased 2026-27 project (Indy/the broader land '26 and the Encanto attraction '27).

If they are panicky or pressured enough to make this come together that is.

I think more likely would be the other way - keep Dino open along with Restaurantasaurus while they work on the Encanto part

basically redo Chester & Hester area first

Magenta Panther

Just saw a video of Shanghai's Zootopia Land. We need it here. It's gorgeous, and the "Hot Pursuit" ride looks awesome. Even the merch is awesome. Nuts to Indiana Jones (it's dead) and Encanto (the kid who can talk to animals is no justification for an otherwise-irrelevant ride to be built in AK). Zootopia would be a great fit in AK. AK was supposed to be about real animals and fantasy animals. If we can't have dragons and unicorns, then Judy Hopps and Nick Wilde will do just fine. Won't happen, of course. That would cost money that the American Disney parks never get unless it's aimed at one of Iger's acquisitions. Frustrating.

bmr1591

Just saw a video of Shanghai's Zootopia Land. We need it here. It's gorgeous, and the "Hot Pursuit" ride looks awesome. Even the merch is awesome. Nuts to Indiana Jones (it's dead) and Encanto (the kid who can talk to animals is no justification for an otherwise-irrelevant ride to be built in AK). Zootopia would be a great fit in AK. AK was supposed to be about real animals and fantasy animals. If we can't have dragons and unicorns, then Judy Hopps and Nick Wilde will do just fine. Won't happen, of course. That would cost money that the American Disney parks never get unless it's aimed at one of Iger's acquisitions. Frustrating.

Just go visit Shanghai. That place doesn't belong anywhere near AK.

Cmdr_Crimson

Just go visit Shanghai. That place doesn't belong anywhere near AK.
Did we forget that this is taking over the Tree of Life..
The-Tree-of-Life_Full_52938.jpg

TheMaxRebo

I like the detail of the land and would welcome it to Hollywood Studios - maybe as a spiritual successor to the streets of NY ... but doesn't belong in AK. Zootopia is an anthropomorphic tale about human challenges of discrimination/racism - it isn't about how animals (real or imaginary) act, but how humans act

As Joe Rohde said, AK has a "no pants" rule (other than for Mickey and friends)

Will add, if they did build it in AK I would be a total hypocrite and visit it and enjoy it, just would not be what I would do

JMcMahonEsq

having only ridden BatB via youtube (but i do have experience with rise and MMRR) there's something to be said for tracked vehicles that allow the environments to be up close and personal (mr. toad, HM, pirates). in my opinion the ride vehicles are to blame b/c they are so massive. and then they want them to interact within each vehicle group, and that requires a lot of floor space. poohs hunny hunt gets the scale right and adds interest to its scenes by not having the rooms be so boxy.
Having done the ride i have to agree with this. I think the trackless vehicle adds to Rise, and the feeling your racing around trying to escape. I think it adds to the feel of MMRR again that your moving around not down a linear path, but wildly "run away" style.

With BatB, I didn't feel like the trackless feature enhanced the ride. I have always had a soft spot for little mermaid, which at a fundamental level is basically the same concept as BatB, a ride through the songs of the movie. To me the trackless feature seemed to be used simply because they could, as the new shiny toy on the block. If the ride used a more linear track, either like Mermaid/Peter Pan I don't think it would be any different/lesser of an experience

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom