News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

osian

In your opinion, does any inclusion of IP whatsoever count as “shoehorning?”
No. Disneyland (and by extension Magic Kingdom I guess] was built with the intention of bringing the classic Disney favourites to life, to allow families to walk in and explore these worlds and live out the movie. That is the home of the IP, the Disney characters. It's the realm of magic, fantasy and adventure. Bring all those Disney princesses to Magic Kingdom. Any Disney movie inclusion is welcome there.

That was before Disney started buying up other studios. Hollywood Studios originally had the focus on the making of and behind the scenes of movies and TV production, but that concept soon fell out of favour, not only with Disney, but other theme park chains have pulled out of that concept too. Now, Hollywood Studios is/should be the natural home for the movies that are not "native" Disney. The Hollywood that never was and always will be.

Animal Kingdom and EPCOT were built with different concepts. I do consider that any IP, whether native Disney or a bought-in franchise, are shoehorned there. They were built to tell specific stories, so attempting to tell stories that are not native to those parks and come from elsewhere, is an unwelcome intrusion and dilution of those parks. Sorry to be so radical in thought!

I don't know, maybe I'd consider a "fitting" introduction of IP is if characters that they want to bring in were used as hosts to attractions that do tell stories that are relevant. Maybe Journey of Water is a good thing in EPCOT as it doesn't tell Moana's story, but it is using Moana to take us through the water cycle, but I think where I'm conflicted is in the migration from Future World to World Nature. That's sort of shaping the hole to fit the peg. Thinking about the original theme of Future World, it's about technology, innovation, ways of living, industry and enterprise. The water lifecycle isn't really working for me under that remit and its landscaping doesn't sit well with the aesthetic of that area. The three new neighbourhoods are a bit of an awkward shift I think. They want to shift it away from the original concept but they're trying to make the existing stuff work with what they want to change it to and it's a mismatch. Retro-fitting.

If Encanto was used in Animal Kingdom to let Antonio tell us the stories of the animals he is able to communicate with, maybe using him as a conduit for the animals to take us through their world, maybe that would be fitting. But an attraction about Encanto, the house and its inhabitants and their adventures, just no. And maybe, just maybe, Tough to be a Bug was actually the most appropriate IP to bring into Animal Kingdom, as it does tell the story of bugs.

EPCOT does/did have native IP characters. You know who I'm referring to! They were hosts for taking us through the story of imagination and creativity. They didn't come from a movie that already existed in order to cross-market that movie.

Not sure I see how IP in the parks is necessarily related to the nickel-and-diming (which I really resent), but if you take it from Disney’s perspective, it’s ALL IP, isn’t it? Whether park attractions, films, series, or even marketing efforts, the process is pretty much the same.
Yes, I think I made that point in another thread somewhere! Anything that Disney owns is its IP, but in the context of what we're discussing here I think the distinction is that IP is something that's been brought/parachuted in from another arm of the company into a place where it's not "native".

I think the point I was trying to make with the nickel-and-diming is that Disney's relentless pursuit of buying up franchises and additoinal IP to bring in everywhere for cross-marketing, and also jumping on the streaming bandwagon, is costing a lot of money and that's reflected in the costs going up in the cash-cow that helps soften the blow. Yes, they've always nickled-and-dime but it's currently going through an aggressive phase like never seen before. Difficult to say though how much of that is due to the covid closures.

I think the original left such an impression on an entire generation of fans..

Yep, that's another point we agree on! There's always the complaint that we shouldn't look back, it's evolving just accept change, it's not a museum...but those of us in the know do know that the original was indeed something really really special and change isn't always for the better. Horizons, World of Motion etc, OMG they made a massive impression on me in 1989 and, along with Spaseship Earth and Imagination, probably responsible for my obsession with this type of thing. Just who are these people who through they were too long and boring LOL!

Last edited:

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
The problem with putting IP in everywhere, even where it doesn't belong, is you end up with Magic Kingdom 1, Magic Kingdom 2, Magic Kingdom 3, etc.
"And?" - disney

I know it's not ideal but it is a form of crowd dispersal even though it waters down the core park themes. Disney will continue to use the parks as a billboard for it's properties. I just wish they'd slow roll the IP placement or give us some original park content for a change, like the good ole days.

_caleb

"And?" - disney

I know it's not ideal but it is a form of crowd dispersal even though it waters down the core park themes. Disney will continue to use the parks as a billboard for it's properties. I just wish they'd slow roll the IP placement or give us some original park content for a change, like the good ole days.
You mean like S.E.A.?

SilentWindODoom

Jungle Cruise isn’t based on an IP. It is now an IP tho

799d1313332edbaf9b1e4a50f65a1377.jpg

While not as overt as the IP-fest that was Frontierland, Adventureland and the Jungle Cruise were very rooted in the True-Life series. It was originally going to be True-Life Adventureland.

Rich Brownn

When did MK become known as the IP park? Outside of Fantasyland it was fairly light on IP for most of its history. Even now it probably has the most park original IPs out of the four parks.
Davy Crockett canoes (TV shows, not history), Swiss Family treehouse, Mike Fink Keel Boats were outside of Fantasyland. But our MK is looked more as a kiddie park rather than an IP park like Disneyland

osian

When did MK become known as the IP park? Outside of Fantasyland it was fairly light on IP for most of its history. Even now it probably has the most park original IPs out of the four parks.
On opening day, around half of MK's attractions were based on Disney classic movies and TV shows, distributed amongst Fantasyland, Frontierland and Adventureland. Most of the other half were imported from Disneyland. MK and MGM/Hollywood Studios were the two parks created to "bring the movies to life", as was Disneyland. MK was the east coast version of Disneyland. So they are the natural home for movies, aka IP. It's what it says on the tin. EPCOT Center opened with no IP or references to Disney movies or existing characters at all, that wasn't its purpose. At its most fundamental, EPCOT Center was the Tomorrowland concept that Walt had envisaged.

It depends on what you mean by IP as by, definition, anything that Disney owns is its IP. But in the context of what we are discussing here, it tends to mean properties that exist in other arms of the company's business (specifically, movies) that they want to incorporate into the theme park side. Therefore MK and HS have always been "IP parks", they were always about bringing the Disney movies to theme parks so that people could experience them in real life, MGM iniitally more about how they are made, as a response to the new park Universal were about to open in Orlando. And what we are discussing here is which Disney movies belong in which non-movie parks.

Last edited:

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Spoken like someone who doesn't see all those same "defenders" be critical of all the other things that Disney has done but only remembers them not disliking the same things they dislike.
There is a difference between people who support certain decisions the company makes but are still critical of other decisions vs the brand defenders who blindly support the cause no matter what.

Your response clearly shows you feel attacked or offended by my post even though it was not directed at you. Using defensiveness as a coping mechanism isn't healthy. Most likely a product of low self esteem. Don't worry, whoever it was can't hurt you anymore. Hopefully.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Davy Crockett canoes (TV shows, not history), Swiss Family treehouse, Mike Fink Keel Boats were outside of Fantasyland. But our MK is looked more as a kiddie park rather than an IP park like Disneyland
I thought the park across the esplanade from DL was taking that "IP Park" title... 🤷‍♂️

yensidtlaw1969

I wonder at times if Disney looks at long dark rides as a risk financially. Let’s face it; today’s younger generations have the attention span of a gnat on crack. I would bet they see financing several 100 million dollars on a dark ride to be a waste of funds when over half the riders just bury their faces in their phones 2 minutes into the ride. And with Genie+ I feel that Disney makes this situation worse. When my wife and I are hitting the rides and have paid for Genie+, we are on our phones looking for more rides when in queues or even on rides (I hate to admit).
If this were the case then rides like Pirates and Haunted Mansion would be shuttered. Guests have the attention span to get through longer rides - you're talking about the same generation that binges entire seasons of TV in one day.

The issue Disney takes with these types of rides is that they require both a large front-end investment as well as a large maintenance budget. In cases like The Haunted Mansion Disney knows people would revolt if they dared to close it, but they want to build new rides like that as infrequently as possible. They'd rather pay big money upfront for something that's more likely to coast without constant upkeep.

That's why Pirates in Shanghai, for all its bells and whistles, has a measly *4* animatronics. Good ones though they are. That's also why Cosmic Rewind, despite it's stratospheric cost, has none.

lazyboy97o

Generally, I’m against shoehorning IP. But you’ve got to admit it would seem like a big mistake for Disney NOT to include film IP in the parks. In fact, Disney often refers to the fact that in the darkest days of Epcot, it routinely received low guest satisfaction ratings due to it not feeling sufficiently “Disney.”
The low days when the park had attendance far closer to the Magic Kingdom and was profitable, helping keep the entire company profitable while the studio was losing money.

TheIceBaron

I think the IP mandate would be easier to swallow if Disney’s studios divisions actually made good movies and shows. Lately it’s been lopsidedly miss more than hits. They seem too focused on creating “content” rather than making timeless classics.

Which I think sours most of us on these forums because not only are profits from the parks subsidizing bad films and TV shows. The funds are siphoned enough that we don’t get many new attractions in the horizon. And the ones we do are only recent IP based attractions. Those bad films and tv shows are often sequels/spinoffs of existing IP which cheapens the IP itself and makes the attraction also feel less special. (Especially when done cheaply).

rle4lunch

The eternal IP debate. If you create something and copyright it, it's your IP, it's automatic! It's whether it fits thematically into a land that's important, not if the original creation has grown into a money making extended entity on its own merit/story.

_caleb

I think the IP mandate would be easier to swallow if Disney’s studios divisions actually made good movies and shows. Lately it’s been lopsidedly miss more than hits. They seem too focused on creating “content” rather than making timeless classics.

Which I think sours most of us on these forums because not only are profits from the parks subsidizing bad films and TV shows. The funds are siphoned enough that we don’t get many new attractions in the horizon. And the ones we do are only recent IP based attractions. Those bad films and tv shows are often sequels/spinoffs of existing IP which cheapens the IP itself and makes the attraction also feel less special. (Especially when done cheaply).
If the same old formula still worked, don’t you think they’d keep cranking out new “classics?”

TheMaxRebo

If the same old formula still worked, don’t you think they’d keep cranking out new “classics?”

Will be interesting to see how Wish performs and is received - it seems the most likely th classic formula is a long time and they have cranked up the marketing for it

If it bombs I think they have some serious issues

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom