EMH To Be Cut By An Hour?

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Tell me about it.

I am a Spirit of the night. I don't generally have to work or be up for mornings in the real world, so why in the world would I ever want to get up at 5 or 6 a.m. on vacation?

If I get up before 11 a.m., then I'm doing well.

I'd much rather visit the parks in the cooler less crowded night hours. Some of us find nothing MAGICal about being body to body with fat smelly tourists at 7:45 a.m. waiting to stampede into the MK when we know we can get there at 8 p.m. and see everything we want by midnight or 1 a.m. taking it slow and easy.

In complete agreement. I have to get up at 5:30 in the morning for work. The absolute last thing I want to do is get up early to be there for rope drop. I prefer arriving later in the day and staying late.

And I fully realize that all of my arguing about how much this bothers me is kind of disingenuous since as of August 1, I'll be one of those locals I talked about earlier. But it's the principle.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Personal comment on this....

I'm guessing WDW actually looked at how many people were using those "late hours", calculated the population vs cost to keep the park open, than made a decission - I know Sandy & I NEVER choose to stay that late.

Let's see what they do with the cost savings before we bake them. Perhaps it will be interesting :).

Imagine if they did the same thing with the Barber Shop.. or the main street vehicles (oops.. too late).. or any number of 'supporting cast' elements of the parks. "Show" doesn't always mean "most efficient"

It's because when you're running for an extra 3 hours, people are never there. It's probably only for Magic Kingdom. When the parks are open till 2 or 3, the last hour is wasting power. Rides get sent through empty over and over. It's just a waste of an hour, not to mention all the cast members they are paying to run empty rides and stores. It just makes sense. This is a good decision.

dxwwf3

It's because when you're running for an extra 3 hours, people are never there. It's probably only for Magic Kingdom. When the parks are open till 2 or 3, the last hour is wasting power. Rides get sent through empty over and over. It's just a waste of an hour, not to mention all the cast members they are paying to run empty rides and stores. It just makes sense. This is a good decision.

That's fine as long as we see a reduction in resort rates. You get less as a resort guest and you should have to pay slightly less, right?

Prices will go up, not down.

Zummi Gummi

There are some things you do as a convenience to your guests even though it might not make you money. It builds customer loyalty and raises guest satisfaction. Like the Embassy Suites running a free hot breakfast buffet at all their properties.

the-reason14

Nope. That doesn't work.

Disney would love to lose many of its critcal fans here and replace them with rubes who don't know any better. Things will never get better by having people who care simply give up ...

Well it makes little sense to keep spending money on a place that's arguably declining by degrees. If they know they can keep vets coming back while still taking away so much then how can they improve, and why should they? At some point people here need to 'give up' and hope WDW changes for the better.

lebeau

Really??!?!

Because everytime I've been at the MK much past 1 a.m., Casey's is locked tightly and the ONLY food locale open in the ENTIRE park is the Bakery ... even the ice cream shop closes.

I left the MK in May of 2011 at 1:20 a.m. and went to Gasparilla's because NOTHING was open at MK beyond the bakery after 1 a.m., which is ridiculous.

We are never in the parks late. (Little kids and all that.) But in 2008 we went to our first and only MNSSHP. The were closing down all of the counter service restaurants before the fireworks, After the first parade of the night, they were selling what was left of their hot dogs out of the back window of Pinochio's Village Haus. And when the hot dogs were gone, they started turning people away. It was crazy!

There are some things you do as a convenience to your guests even though it might not make you money. It builds customer loyalty and raises guest satisfaction. Like the Embassy Suites running a free hot breakfast buffet at all their properties.

Yes, but when your guests aren't taking advantage of the conveniences then what is the real point?

That's fine as long as we see a reduction in resort rates. You get less as a resort guest and you should have to pay slightly less, right?

Prices will go up, not down.

Not really? Are you paying for just that one extra hour? Is that really the only reason you're staying in a Disney resort? If the guests were utilizing the extra hour then there would be no reason to cut it. But they aren't, so if you look at it, you're not losing anything.

Zummi Gummi

Not really? Are you paying for just that one extra hour? Is that really the only reason you're staying in a Disney resort? If the guests were utilizing the extra hour then there would be no reason to cut it. But they aren't, so if you look at it, you're not losing anything.

Partially. One of the perks they use to sell staying onsite is EMH. Those EMH are dwindling away, while the resort rate goes up. Is it the only reason one chooses to stay onsite? No, but it's a big part of it, and as it disappears, the rates should reflect the loss of that perk (of course, they won't).

And yes, I am losing something. At least 3 hours a week in the parks.

disneyrcks

People are taking advantage of it, just not enough to make it profitable.

And like I said, sometimes you do things that aren't profitable as a service to build loyalty and raise customer satisfaction.

How can they make a profit from it when they do not keep anything open during night EMH (shops/food wise). And I agree, it should be a perk, and I thought it was, for guests staying on property. The whole point, at least for us, is that there are less people and more opportunity for rides without lines. Cutting EMH is pretty crappy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom