Eliminating some Florida resident annual passes?

aladdin2007

Wow if this is true, this does not appeal to me at all. Maybe this will appeal to generations that come after me, but in a system that I find already to rigid with respect to spontaneity, this will be the straw that breaks my back as a consumer once and for all. I love Disney, but a this system would kill my enjoyment of the product. Maybe it is for the better. I have given way to much money to the mouse over the years as it is.

agree, this will be it for us as well. They are taking away the freedom to enjoy what you want when you want, reserve for this day only here, cant go there, cant go here etc,,,next up will be reserving times for the restrooms. Sounds like they finally want to oust passholders once and for all,,,and this would probably do it, its just way too complicated. You wouldn't even be allowed to leave one park and go to another anymore? Is this the new format Disneylands president is bringing over with him here once he is in position?

CJR

What I find funny is, with what's on the table, long term, how many people go without a reservation? I take reservation to be anything from dining to a booked Fastpass. The only time I've gone without a Fastpass booked, I was eating at Epcot. Epcot's the only park I've ever entered without riding something and we always book our Fastpasses at least a day ahead, so I don't imagine that changing.

I do want to note that Mr. Iger's key words were "spread demand". In other words, convince people to visit on a Wednesday in September instead of New Years Eve. To do this, it's much easier to ask the locals than it is to ask a family in Vermont.

A lot (not all, but enough of them) of locals can afford the Platinum Passes, which would make peak days like New Years Eve even more crowded if the other passes were eliminated completely. So, the point is making the lesser passes attractive enough for them to visit during the off peak times. This is achieved mostly by price, but they can add other things too, like photo pass if need be.

The Theme Park Select pass is a great guide to when Disney wants locals to go. Specifically, the dates for Disney's Hollywood Studios next year. They want locals in that Monday through Thursday time frame on non-holidays. For that reason, longer term, week nights will be more crowded in the future as local families visit after school/work. I expect Disney to push more and more passes towards those dates in the future.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Those who don’t buy Anything, bring their own food, etc

If this were true, you'd have a point. It isn't true though and it never has been. It's a fable. The only people who might be bringing their own food into the parks are tourists who are trying to save money and who are probably also not staying on property..or people with very specific dietary needs. If you want to disprove that people with APs don't buy anything just go outside anywhere in Orlando and witness for yourself the seas of locals wearing Disney garb every single day.

beertiki

For every "freeloader" there is someone like me. We go to WDW, about 4X a year, and stay 3 nights on property. We spend over $1000 each trip in food and alcohol.

If we did not have our APs, we would take more cruises. Disney knows this, that is why there is a monthly payment plan, that we will be on forever. It's pretty easy and inexpensive to just book a room and go away for a few days. I think I spent $150 on drinks at Epcot one night, I would bet there were 1000 other AP holders there that night too with similar tabs. They want our money, and there will not be changes that will chase me away.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
Wow if this is true, this does not appeal to me at all. Maybe this will appeal to generations that come after me, but in a system that I find already to rigid with respect to spontaneity, this will be the straw that breaks my back as a consumer once and for all. I love Disney, but a this system would kill my enjoyment of the product. Maybe it is for the better. I have given way to much money to the mouse over the years as it is.
Between the rigidity of planning and the current systems/hours it's more complicated than ever, in addition to more expensive. They might as well only give 1 FP per park when the only things you need FP for are in Tier 1. It's not realistic to do all you like but there's little opportunity for more than one Tier 1 without some hassle like waking at 6am, waiting over 2 hours on line, or missing the fireworks. I don't need to do all five Tier 1's but can I count on 2 or 3? Not really. And you can't count on Day 1, 2 or 3 of your onsite stay for those coveted FPs, they're filled to 64 days out. Question marks galore trying to plan anything now. HS is a colossal headache trying to figure out how to honor SWGE reservations and tour some of the other high demand things in the park.

I have zero confidence how this trip may play out. It might be great and then again it could be lousy.

tribbleorlfl

If this were true, you'd have a point. It isn't true though and it never has been. It's a fable. The only people who might be bringing their own food into the parks are tourists who are trying to save money and who are probably also not staying on property..or people with very specific dietary needs. If you want to disprove that people with APs don't buy anything just go outside anywhere in Orlando and witness for yourself the seas of locals wearing Disney garb every single day.
And magnets. When I drop my daughter off at school every morning, easily half the minivans have them.

JohnD

Yeah, silver is mostly likely going to get get the cut from the list and theme park select taking its place fully.

That's my fear. There are signs they are getting rid of Silver already. Take the AP previews. If you're Silver or below, you're SOL. Theme Park Select would eliminate flexibility for me. (e.g. three months without HS? No thanks). Gold is more options than I need. I'm perfectly content being blocked from Easter, Summer, and Christmas. I couldn't do Summer anyway because of my work schedule.

dreamfinder912

That's my fear. There are signs they are getting rid of Silver already. Take the AP previews. If you're Silver or below, you're SOL. Theme Park Select would eliminate flexibility for me. (e.g. three months without HS? No thanks). Gold is more options than I need. I'm perfectly content being blocked from Easter, Summer, and Christmas. I couldn't do Summer anyway because of my work schedule.

Even gold wasn't "enough" to get you into SWGE previews. And it'd be downright stupid for them to eliminate the "i'm staying away from crazy crowds" silver pass. It doesn't work for me, but I know plenty of people like yourself who love them. But then again, Disney seems to be doing a lot of stupid stuff lately.

Kman101

They want to even demand. I said nothing about addressing crowing. The goal here is to even out the demand. Imagine every park crowded to the same density at all times every day. That’s the goal. Makes staffing and maintenance easier to predict.

And we know how well these plans work out, right ;) lol they haven't achieved it yet.

BoarderPhreak

It's not even so much crowding or capacity. Disney wants more profit per person, regardless of the means to that end. If they can do it with less people then they can "kill two birds with one stone" as they say.

lazyboy97o

It's not even so much crowding or capacity. Disney wants more profit per person, regardless of the means to that end. If they can do it with less people then they can "kill two birds with one stone" as they say.
Disney goes into an all out panic at the slightest hint at reduced attendance. They are not at all okay with fewer people, even if they are paying more.

BoarderPhreak

Disney goes into an all out panic at the slightest hint at reduced attendance. They are not at all okay with fewer people, even if they are paying more.
Oh, sure. People are walking ATMs. But there is a fine line... Too crowded and you start pushing people away. It's a balancing act.

jmp85

Disney doesn't want anyone to stop coming. They might price you out of of the Magic Kingdom on a Saturday, but they'd be more than happy to attempt to shift your behavior to visit AK on a dead Tuesday afternoon. They'd like to have their cake and eat it too.

JohnD

Even gold wasn't "enough" to get you into SWGE previews. And it'd be downright stupid for them to eliminate the "i'm staying away from crazy crowds" silver pass. It doesn't work for me, but I know plenty of people like yourself who love them. But then again, Disney seems to be doing a lot of stupid stuff lately.

I don't want the Gold because I can't attend over the summer anyway. I'll spare you the details but as a State of Florida employee where the fiscal year starts July 1, my summer is very busy. So Silver is the best for me. Interesting concept: I want a pass where I pay for the time I would actually be there. Imagine that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom