Eliminating some Florida resident annual passes?

Rob562

Was that 300 per ticket ,that is still expensive for me ,but I am trying to save up for an AP pass,I do not need one for Disney.

In 2017 our Seasonal APs were $305 per person with tax. I think the upgrade/renewal combo we did in 2018 was under $340. Not sure what kind of FL Resident discounts there might be since we're in Massachusetts.

-Rob

matt9112

Those who don’t buy Anything, bring their own food, etc

I think this is a tiny fraction of park guests. I mean just make a concerted effort to find somebody eating pb&j and than compare that to everyone eating food and beverage sales. Is it a thing? Of course. Is it some large profit consuming epidemic of course not. But than again this is the company that had to put rfid chips in cups because everyone was sticking it to the man. There is deff this connotation that us locals just go take space and spend absolutely nothing more than the cost of the AP. Look im very middle class and i go almost every weekend and they yank 100 bucks per visit IF i make an effort to not spend much. I have had quick serve lunch bills at 80 bucks before.

KevinPage

I have a silver and go 2-3 Saturday’s per month.

I have two kids, so I have to bring plenty of water and food with me. Even bringing that on a day trip it’s still a miracle IF I’m able to keep it under $20 on treats/snacks.

$$$$ adds up fast when I’m paying $500 pp for the Silver AP.

Current management ain’t the sharpest knives in the drawer but eliminating pass options after jacking prices through the roof, having softer than expected attendance, bad Skyliner PR, doesn’t sound like a sound business decision when they NEED AP holders to help fill the parks.

This bizarre theory that AP’s don’t buy stuff is absurd. Granted we can’t spend like drunken sailors when we are at the parks 20-25 days a year but that’s 3-4x the length of a typical guest on a week long vacation. We spend plenty to help middle management line their coffers.

Skipper2

Ok folks, Do you really want to know why Disney has Fl Annual Passes? It isn't about the money we spend directly. Yes they like that money. But what they really really really want is for the retired folks like me to have that pass and introduce that 4 year old grandkid to Uncle Mickey Mouse and a sweet little Princess or 2 for good measure. My "DISCOUNTED" pass can get 3 or 4 hooked for life Disney fans that will spend how many thousands in the course of a lifetime, and hook how many more generations. How many retirees are in FL that have visiting family with kids once or more a year? Is Disney a possible part of a visit to Grandma's? You think this is about how much Disney makes on us at the gate or in the quick serve line. If that was it then the pass wouldn't include the parking. Oh no.....Think again peeps. You are a cog in a very large Pyramid Scheme and you have been since you parents introduced you to a certain mouse. Mine started in Nov of 1971, I have a big pyramid. LOL;)

Steph15251

In 2017 our Seasonal APs were $305 per person with tax. I think the upgrade/renewal combo we did in 2018 was under $340. Not sure what kind of FL Resident discounts there might be since we're in Massachusetts.

-Rob
Thanks ,I live in Florida so I think their is some discount

Moana76

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I do not bring my food to the parks,but I do not really buy any merch there .
I bring sandwiches for lunch, but that’s so I can spend money on merch and experiences. Either way, they get plenty of my money.
My son didn’t want to leave last week, and I told him, “Mommy has to go back to work so we can have more money to go back to Disney.”

The Visionary Soul

I'm happy to comment on the annual pass holder programs in general. While I can't speak to confirm exactly which passes will go away next year, I can tell you the eventual plan is to kill off most of the annual pass system as we know it.

Here's what it might look like in the future:

First, the top tier pass will remain. People are willing to pay to not have to plan. But assuming you're not willing to pay that much...

I call it the Netflix Mail Order Strategy applied to park admissions. Passes will become subscription based, they will auto-renew annually, and you will have X number of days over a period of 1 year that you can visit. Depending on how many days you wish to go, that will determine the price of the pass (much like how many DVDs you wanted to rent at the same time determined the price for your Netflix mail-order subscription). However, the catch is that you'll need to make a reservation in advance to visit the park (Just like you needed to add DVDs to your queue with Netflix). So you can't just get up and go with these lower tier passes, you'll have to login to the app and see if the day you wish to go is available, and then you will book it. Depending on the caliber of the pass you buy, you may have more options to visit. Additional inventory (day admissions) will be released throughout the year depending on internal attendance forecasts. They also might have some free days thrown in the model too, which are days where you wouldn't really need to book anything in advance because the projected attendance is just THAT low. This is very similar to how Disneyland's new passport works. It seems to be very popular, and that should allow them to better predict attendance in the parks and even out the demand.

Again, I can't comment on how or when this will roll out in Florida. I can only verify that this is the longterm strategy, so get ready.

Minthorne

That's actually what we've been doing since 2017.

We decided to take a Disney break (though not specifically linked to the anniversary), so in 2017 we did an "everything but Disney" trip. Universal, Sea World, Busch Gardens. For that we bought Seasonal APs for Universal. At just over $300 they were a steal, and the blackout dates were all times we wouldn't want to go anyway.

We then discovered the joys of running off to Orlando for a few nights every 3 or 4 months when we could get cheap airfare and a good Passholder hotel rate. Great way to escape and recharge. (My bf refers to it as his "quarterly therapy session") We renewed when it came time, upgrading to a 3-park Seasonal which was barely more than our original APs cost us, thanks to the renewal discount.

It's now been three years since our last WDW trip, and we're going back to Disney this December. We're not buying APs though. We'll see after our trip what our desire level is to return again quickly.

-Rob
When are you going in Dec? I’ll be at Boardwalk 12/13-21!

Steph15251

If you go a bunch of days not buying things, not staying in hotels etc. Then yes, your per day spending is way lower then the once every 3 or 4 years people. Doesn't really matter if it's in your state. Matter of how many hours you are hanging around the park over a year.
Then I am a freeloader since I do not say in the hotels too,I really have no reason to say in them.

Kman101

I'm happy to comment on the annual pass holder programs in general. While I can't speak to confirm exactly which passes will go away next year, I can tell you the eventual plan is to kill off most of the annual pass system as we know it.

Here's what it might look like in the future:

First, the top tier pass will remain. People are willing to pay to not have to plan. But assuming you're not willing to pay that much...

I call it the Netflix Mail Order Strategy applied to park admissions. Passes will become subscription based, they will auto-renew annually, and you will have X number of days over a period of 1 year that you can visit. Depending on how many days you wish to go, that will determine the price of the pass (much like how many DVDs you wanted to rent at the same time determined the price for your Netflix mail-order subscription). However, the catch is that you'll need to make a reservation in advance to visit the park (Just like you needed to add DVDs to your queue with Netflix). So you can't just get up and go with these lower tier passes, you'll have to login to the app and see if the day you wish to go is available, and then you will book it. Depending on the caliber of the pass you buy, you may have more options to visit. Additional inventory (day admissions) will be released throughout the year depending on internal attendance forecasts. They also might have some free days thrown in the model too, which are days where you wouldn't really need to book anything in advance because the projected attendance is just THAT low. This is very similar to how Disneyland's new passport works. It seems to be very popular, and that should allow them to better predict attendance in the parks and even out the demand.

Again, I can't comment on how or when this will roll out in Florida. I can only verify that this is the longterm strategy, so get ready.

I don't see this one going over well for WDW. It's a different audience at Disneyland, as you know. I'm not a fan of this at first glance (I haven't used it, so my opinion could change of course), and may not renew if this becomes true, but I can see why they want to move to this model.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom