News Eliminating Fastpass and Extra Magic Hours - confirmed as of May 28

doctornick

Would you want to risk it knowing that if you planned a trip there and they had been blocked you wouldn't even have the option to buy a ticket at the gate? I don't think I would want to take that risk.

But you can add (link) such tickets to your My Disney Experience account. Justbecause Disney won't sell new tickets directly, I'm just wondering if you bought such tickets now and then put them on your account, could you still "reserve" a park entry? I guess we'll see.

Mem11

Disney's press/communications department has done a bad job so far. First they mess-up the press release about hotels opening to later state that only the DVCs are re-opening. Now, we heard EMHs are canceled. However, the park hours listed on their website still list EMHs. My local Six Flags is doing a better job...

All this talk of FPs going away in the future could further devalue the point of staying at a Disney hotel. Why should I pay $450 a night to stay at the YC if I get no advantage in terms of booking rides, etc...

I have really tried to not be a doom and gloomer but I am questioning Disney management more by the day.
Fastpass Plus has been around for about 7 years, WDW for 49 years. There were always advantages to staying onsite as opposed to offsite and that will continue with or without FP+.

I tolerated the original FP and hated FP+, I would be thrilled to see it go permanently.

BlackCauldron

But you can add (link) such tickets to your My Disney Experience account. Justbecause Disney won't sell new tickets directly, I'm just wondering if you bought such tickets now and then put them on your account, could you still "reserve" a park entry? I guess we'll see.

THIS.

I have a resort reservation at AKL in September booked through rented points at David’s. I also bought third party tickets at Undercover way back in February. It’s all linked via MDE. Heck, I even did my online pre check in months ago.

I also wonder whether Disney will honor these third party tickets as “official” when it comes time to book park reservations. Will they use MDE as the benchmark? Only tickets purchased direct from Disney?

And as far as the DVC rezzie, we are actually booked at Jambo House, which is not slated to open yet. Wondering if we would just get kicked over to Kidani or to another DVC with availability?

BlackCauldron

Same. It never seemed fair that a family that was at the park at rope drop couldn’t get a fastpass. I like the Legacy fastpass where you have to be in the park in order to get a fastpass.

Same. I do miss the old days of Disney where it was nothing but standby, and you could only make same day reservations at sit down restaurants.

That said, I also really enjoyed Maxpass at Disneyland. It seemed like the best compromise to using a FP system where everyone was on a level playing field with day-of options. The only downside was you had to pay for it - but I feel like we got our money’s worth.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
THIS.

I have a resort reservation at AKL in September booked through rented points at David’s. I also bought third party tickets at Undercover way back in February. It’s all linked via MDE. Heck, I even did my online pre check in months ago.

I also wonder whether Disney will honor these third party tickets as “official” when it comes time to book park reservations. Will they use MDE as the benchmark? Only tickets purchased direct from Disney?

And as far as the DVC rezzie, we are actually booked at Jambo House, which is not slated to open yet. Wondering if we would just get kicked over to Kidani or to another DVC with availability?
Once your tickets are in your hands they are Disney tickets. UT is a travel agency. They are just giving you back some of their commission as a discount. The tickets are Disney tickets and I can’t fathom Disney treating them any differently than tickets from any other Travel Agent.

tomast

I Know this is an unpopular opinion but... Fastpass+ > stand by > maxpass and in a time of "Social distancing" the FastPass seems again like the best of all options!, you dont have to go to a machine, you dont have to pay extra (I know that most of disney fans like paying extra) and you dont have to stay in line with lots of people and most important you don´t have to go to the park for rope drop and still have a great chance of been turn down for the virtual queue like in RotR.

TrainsOfDisney

Same. I do miss the old days of Disney where it was nothing but standby, and you could only make same day reservations at sit down restaurants.

That said, I also really enjoyed Maxpass at Disneyland. It seemed like the best compromise to using a FP system where everyone was on a level playing field with day-of options. The only downside was you had to pay for it - but I feel like we got our money’s worth.

I like the system at Disneyland a lot. The paid maxpass is more of a convenience than a big advantage. I wouldn’t personally pay for it but it was included in my AP so I used it.

Walking in at park opening a family can still get a FP for radiator springs, I can just get one while waiting in line at Starbucks. Convenience, but not an unfair advantage.

Disneyland68

Disney's press/communications department has done a bad job so far. First they mess-up the press release about hotels opening to later state that only the DVCs are re-opening. Now, we heard EMHs are canceled. However, the park hours listed on their website still list EMHs. My local Six Flags is doing a better job...

All this talk of FPs going away in the future could further devalue the point of staying at a Disney hotel. Why should I pay $450 a night to stay at the YC if I get no advantage in terms of booking rides, etc...

I have really tried to not be a doom and gloomer but I am questioning Disney management more by the day.
Aloha,
I believe WDW lodging will provide automatic park entry during your stay. That’s apparently the new C19 perk.

Disneyland68

It also makes it painfully obvious that there was never a magical ‘reopen in two weeks’ button, even if the desire was there. They are going to need every day between now and July 11th just to dig themselves out of the data avalanche the shutdown has created and handhold every reservation.
Aloha,
If DLR implements the same policy, it will be able to ramp up quicker than WDW.

nickys

Premium Member
The complexity of what we are seeing now really makes it clear just how convoluted planning a WDW trip had become. I really hope that lessons are learned from all this and going forward things are a little simpler for everyone involved.
So, without reading the rest of the replies, is this new system Genie?

They announced Genie as a way to make the most of your stay, suggest itineraries and so on. Is Genie in fact this whole new world of reservations?

TrojanUSC

So, without reading the rest of the replies, is this new system Genie?

They announced Genie as a way to make the most of your stay, suggest itineraries and so on. Is Genie in fact this whole new world of reservations?

Genie was announced as a concept likely before it was ever really solidified as to what it was going to be.

This system could be called that, but the reality is it will be very different in execution from whatever that iteration was intended to be.

spresso81

Fastpass Plus has been around for about 7 years, WDW for 49 years. There were always advantages to staying onsite as opposed to offsite and that will continue with or without FP+.

I tolerated the original FP and hated FP+, I would be thrilled to see it go permanently.

I agree but people have gotten used to the current system and the additional benefit to staying onsite. Also, we know (and there have been countless posts about it) that the cost of Disney hotels have gone way up over time. If it is going to be cheaper to stay at the Ritz Carlton than a moderate, that could eventually be an issue.

Gearbm95

Anyone heard anything regarding park hopping? I only have time for 1 day at Disney and wanted to park hop. If that’s not available I guess I’ll just switch over to UO, as it looks like their same day 2-park ticket option is still available

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Anyone heard anything regarding park hopping? I only have time for 1 day at Disney and wanted to park hop. If that’s not available I guess I’ll just switch over to UO, as it looks like their same day 2-park ticket option is still available
I think plans are still being finalized for how that will be handled. It is obviously going to be difficult during the period of making reservations to enter the park, so I wouldn't assume that park hopping will be a go - at least at first.

Sadiebird

THIS.

I also purchased tickets from undercover tourist and loaded them onto MDE. This morning I got this message from Disney, so it looks like it doesn’t matter where you purchase your tickets from, but it probably helps to load them onto MDE.

An Important Walt Disney World Update​
As we plan for the reopening of our Disney Resort Hotels and Theme Parks, we are keeping the wellbeing of our Guests and Cast in mind. And we’re here to help you as we introduce new procedures focused on delivering an enjoyable and magical experience for everyone who visits.

To manage attendance and foster physical distancing during this unprecedented time, we will be changing and suspending some Park experiences. In addition, we will also be introducing a new Theme Park reservation system.
Unfortunately, these new measures have required us to cancel any FastPass+ selections you may have made. We recognize the inconvenience this poses and we’re deeply sorry.

However, because you have valid Theme Park admission, you will have access to the Theme Park reservation system before new tickets are sold to other Guests. There’s nothing you need to do at this time. We’ll be contacting you soon with details on this new system.

At this time, while systems update, we are temporarily suspending all modifications. However, you have the option of canceling your entire reservation.

We’re putting great thought into helping you return to the magic and appreciate your patience.

For more information, please visit disneyworld.com, call 407-W-DISNEY (934-7639), or contact your travel professional or Member Services.

ToTBellHop

I agree with the notion of ending pre-planned FP. I am a pro. I benefit from the system. But it is SO. MUCH. WORK. And it’s stressful. You could hybridize Maxpass with virtual queues to largely avoid super long lines. Return most rides to Stand-By only (looking at you, HM and POTC). At the big tickets, once lines reach some level (an hour?) activate BGs for just those big tickets. End the misery of planning months out AND the misery of arriving at 9 am to a 240-min wait.

If there needs to be a perk for resorts, perhaps you can build in special hints-from-Genie for the most-valued-guests—imagine you get a push notification from Genie to use one of your 3 per day “Wishes”: “Hi there! I see you’re enjoying Big Thunder Mountain Railroad! Want to use a wish and have me add you to a Space Mountain or Splash Mountain virtual queue? I will let you know when it’s time to ride!”

All you’d have to do is let Disney know your favorites ahead of time. No scheduling.

Kingoglow

Over I could take or leave Fastpass+. I don't much care either way.

I don't think the amount of effort in planning Fastpasses prior to a vacation is all that cumbersome. However, once in the parks, managing Fastpasses (for those of us that fish for FP's all day) is SO FRUSTRATING.

There are just too many screens to go through and none of them load quickly. Managing Fastpasses on the app is a terrible user experience.

So so so many screens to go through.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom