News Eliminating Fastpass and Extra Magic Hours - confirmed as of May 28

Magic Feather

Regardless of today's on/off, I will be very surprised if they open with FP+.
Expect Rides that bring crowds with small physical queues to adopt Virtual Queues, and the rest to go standby only.

Off the top of my head... Epcot will likely put FEA, TT, and maybe Soarin' on VQ, DHS will probably have RotR, MMRR, and SDD, MK would probably get it on SDMT, Pan, and Space.

Weirdly enough, DAK wouldn't really have to use it as all of its rides have huge, mostly outdoor queues, which little to no FP and reduced park capacity would help too. Funnily enough, the two rides that would come closest to needing it are Dinosaur and Primeval Whirl due to their limited queue space, but the VQ would likely end up going to FoP, NRJ, and maybe Safaris/Everest for symbolic, "Top-Tier Rides" purposes.

HauntedMansionFLA

Thought I’d attempt to move this discussion to its own thread..

So people currently cannot make new FP+ selections... and others are starting to notice that their FP+ reservations are disappearing. From what everyone’s been discussing, these could potentially be the options.

1). A virtual queue system for as many attractions as possible.

2). A virtual queue system for just the E-Tickets (most popular).

3). Eliminating FP+ altogether, and only having standby lines, no virtual queue.

Thoughts? Speculation? Insider source? Any news?
I’d love it 😍 Pirates and HM back to walk ons 🥰

jinx8402

Expect Rides that bring crowds with small physical queues to adopt Virtual Queues, and the rest to go standby only.

Off the top of my head... Epcot will likely put FEA, TT, and maybe Soarin' on VQ, DHS will probably have RotR, MMRR, and SDD, MK would probably get it on SDMT, Pan, and Space.

Weirdly enough, DAK wouldn't really have to use it as all of its rides have huge, mostly outdoor queues, which little to no FP and reduced park capacity would help too. Funnily enough, the two rides that would come closest to needing it are Dinosaur and Primeval Whirl due to their limited queue space, but the VQ would likely end up going to FoP, NRJ, and maybe Safaris/Everest for symbolic, "Top-Tier Rides" purposes.

Will they need to do something like being able to reserve a vq spot before being in the park? Just thinking of rotr and how everyone would get there an hour before opening to get a vq. Similar would happen with fop, and I'm just not sure how they manage that with social distancing.

But, if you were able to do it from your hotel room, as long as you have a reservation to that park, or even as a fp/vq hybrid where you request it in advance but aren't assigned a specific time like FP.

cmwade77

My guess is what will happen is all attractions that offer FP+ (the vast majority at WDW) will become FP only (possibly virtual queues instead) and when you return you would return to the Standby queues leaving the FP queues available for things like guest recovery, those with disabilities and other situations where the standby queues might not be appropriate. This would help ensure better spacing while still allowing options for unique situations that may arise.

Oh and FP would be available day of only and only after entering the park, they might even make it where you must be inside the park to book it.

Amused to Death

I'm curious - will animals be allowed in the parks? The so-called 'comfort' animals in particular. Who knows what their coats carry?
I can't speak for the parks, they're not open yet, but I did see a dog inside of World of Disney yesterday via a vlogger's YT video.

aladdin2007

but you have to be there before opening to even try to get in a virtual queue. As passholders in another location in the state we cant be there that early. so those of us like that would be out of getting on Pan ever again? as an example.

nickys

Premium Member
but you have to be there before opening to even try to get in a virtual queue. As passholders in another location in the state we cant be there that early. so those of us like that would be out of getting on Pan ever again? as an example.
No you don’t. You did for RotR but it doesn’t mean it has to be like that.

If a number of rides have VQs it’s easy enough to only allow one at a time, which with a much lower crowd would make it possible for everyone to join a VQ. There are any number of ways they could work it to spread people out through the day.

jinx8402

No you don’t. You did for RotR but it doesn’t mean it has to be like that.

If a number of rides have VQs it’s easy enough to only allow one at a time, which with a much lower crowd would make it possible for everyone to join a VQ. There are any number of ways they could work it to spread people out through the day.

They need to figure something out for ROTR and FOP, because like I mentioned a few posts earlier, the madhouse of rope drop to get those will not be conducive to social distancing.

doctornick

Yeah, I wonder if they will basically use a virtual queuing system like they do at Volcano Bay.

cmwade77

I don't mind this but I do mind the virtual. Then what you have too many people standing around with nowhere to go and nothing to do (most theater attractions will be closed right?), waiting in lines to enter a shop or get a snack....I just see this as a headache. not to mention not being allowed to experience an attraction in general unless you have a reserved return time, its all too complicated. Maybe they wont require the virtual thing except on a couple of main attractions? But for every single ride and attraction? How would that even work, unless your on your phone all day trying to use what has always been a conflicted system.
Actually, a lot of theater venues will be able to run, any without live performers are simple, even the muppets is workable. Those with live performers will be a bit more complicated due to backstage needs, but some may be possible based on what we are seeing at Shanghai currently.

Another way to spread people out a bit more is to open some of the currently closed venues as temporary lounges of sorts or perhaps additional shopping or dining venues, giving more places to spread out crowds. Add in lower capacity and it can definitely work.

As for virtual queues, I think it will be anytime the line gets over X number of people in the queue line (likely X will be variable for each attraction), then a virtual queue is setup, otherwise it will be safe for a traditional queue line with spacing.

cmwade77

I'm curious - will animals be allowed in the parks? The so-called 'comfort' animals in particular. Who knows what their coats carry?
Comfort animals are never supposed to be allowed in the parks; however, service animals are and they have to be allowed by law and there is a difference between the two, although by their very nature a service animal also is technically provides comfort, but they have other tasks they are trained to perform to help the person with needs related to a disability.

The WHO and the CDC both have confirmed that animals cannot transmit the virus to humans, so I don't see this being any issue anyway.

cmwade77

They need to figure something out for ROTR and FOP, because like I mentioned a few posts earlier, the madhouse of rope drop to get those will not be conducive to social distancing.
This actually isn't hard to do, they simply space out the number of spaces handed out, so that only so many are handed out per hour and they make sure they get through all of those guests before starting on the next hour's worth. Additionally, you make it so that people can only get in one virtual queue at a time.

Di$neyCPA

But we don't know how far in advance that will be. If it's just a week or less they may feel that the FP system is useless.
Our FP and ADR are showing up but cannot be modified. Interestingly, they also show the new hours for just the park that we have something booked both on web and app. Has this been there before and I just ignored it? May be an initial step towards migrating some guests to the park reservation system...

TrojanUSC

Confirmed:

All existing dining and FP+ cancelled
No DDP

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 5.01.30 PM.png

zengoth

I guess I need a better explanation of how the main reservation system works before figuring out smaller reservations (aka virtual queues or fastpasses). Do you pick a park and a day - meaning you have access the entire time that park is open? Or do you have to choose the hours you will be there so someone else can take your place when you leave? I can speculate WDW wants you in the park, do your 2 or 3 fastpasses, have a quick meal and shop and then go - but I don't know how they'd enforce your departure. (plus, still don't know about park hopping in general.(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom