Elemental (Pixar - June 2023)

LittleBuford

You aren't wrong though I agree with Casper. The brand has been damaged to a point that they should not be spending tentpole money on their original ideas. Though they should still keep at it. They used to be able to tolerate it because people would show up for "the Pixar movie". That's how Pixar needs to justify the originals, make them more affordable again. Spend a bit more lavishly on the bigger sequels.

It's ironic the budget for Strange World wasn't comparatively as bad. We might actually be having a different conversation right if they reigned in the budget on Elementals by 65 million. It's clearly finding an audience, it just never started with a large enough one.
Strange World wasn't Pixar.

doctornick

I do think that if Elemental has good legs and positive reception from those who see it (which I think is plausible) and ideally gets decent watch numbers on D+, then I think it will at least help to rehabilitate the Pixar image and rep even if it doesn’t make a profit.

LittleBuford

I do think that if Elemental has good legs and positive reception from those who see it (which I think is plausible) and ideally gets decent watch numbers on D+, then I think it will at least help to rehabilitate the Pixar image and rep even if it doesn’t make a profit.
Is Pixar's image in need of rehabilitation in the first place?

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
What markets is Elemental still due to open?

Here are the remaining release dates for Elemental.

IMG_5057.jpeg

wtyy21

Elemental beats The Flash at International box office for the second weekend ($31.3M for Elemental versus $26.6M for The Flash).

The film maybe gradually gets positive word-to-mouth from the International audience, benefited from A cinemascore (similar to TLM) granted for the film.

Casper Gutman

Yes. The general public no longer looks at Pixar movies as or “I expect this to be great so I need to see it right away”
That’s not Pixar’s image problem. Pixar’s image problem is that viewers look at it and say, “original animation is for streaming.” Every animation studio is facing this issue, though it’s more noticeable with Pixar because of the heights it once reached.

Tha Realest

Elemental beats The Flash at International box office for the second weekend ($31.3M for Elemental versus $26.6M for The Flash).

The film maybe gradually gets positive word-to-mouth from the International audience, benefited from A cinemascore (similar to TLM) granted for the film.
“At least we’re not WBD!” manifests again

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
As far as the ballooning budget:

1. Being used to making huge BO receipts, the animation studios probably don't think about tightening their belts.

2. I would assume all the engineering work to advance the art of CGI is baked into the budget. Other studios can rely on using what's just state-of-the-art off-the-shelf CGI without spending tens of millions for engineering new water/ice/fire/hair/skin simulation.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
“At least we’re not WBD!” manifests again
Variety's articles on the BO don't have separate articles for separate films. So, to post an article about one film's BO, one is forced to include the other films of the day.

1687782769776.png

Right a letter to Variety complaining of their whataboutism.

Cmdr_Crimson

That’s not Pixar’s image problem. Pixar’s image problem is that viewers look at it and say, “original animation is for streaming.” Every animation studio is facing this issue, though it’s more noticeable with Pixar because of the heights it once reached.
This makes me wonder if Blue Sky Studios was still around..How would they had dealt with this under Disney would we have even more Ice Age, Robots and Rio films until the cows come home? Even the last direct to Disney+ film on Buck Wild was unfavorable to reviews and it was not even animated by Blue Sky.

Communicora

Premium Member
As far as the ballooning budget:

1. Being used to making huge BO receipts, the animation studios probably don't think about tightening their belts.

2. I would assume all the engineering work to advance the art of CGI is baked into the budget. Other studios can rely on using what's just state-of-the-art off-the-shelf CGI without spending tens of millions for engineering new water/ice/fire/hair/skin simulation.
3. They are said to have good working conditions for their production teams.

To compare, there's this article about the Spider-Verse production.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
This makes me wonder if Blue Sky Studios was still around..How would they had dealt with this under Disney would we have even more Ice Age, Robots and Rio films until the cows come home? Even the last direct to Disney+ film on Buck Wild was unfavorable to reviews and it was not even animated by Blue Sky.
1687787267607.png

Check out the direction of the ratings of each consecutive Ice Age movie. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom