Elemental (Pixar - June 2023)

Phroobar

It’s not an awful one. I’ve said before that harming Pixar by associating it in the public consciousness with streaming is the one major stumble that can be wholly pinned on Chapek. Pixar is still a name that denotes quality and inspires nostalgia, however, and it’s creative machinery is intact - the pandemic films were critically and popularly acclaimed and the one real flop, Lightyear, was both a corporately-mandated IP film and a major culture war target. Disney would certainly like Pixar to be where it was in, say, 2015, but pretty much any other studio in town would be happy to have it.
Every other studio in town DOES have it. Pixar is far too out of touch with their own market. I don't think Peter Sohn is going to get to direct anymore.

doctornick

This is how Disney is going to have to rebuild the Pixar brand after damaging it during the pandemic - open appealing originals to lackluster first weekends, relying on word of mouth to give them significant box office legs. It may take a few films, but it will be easier to REbuild the brand that way than it was to build it in the first place. What Disney can’t do but will really, really want to is to panic and start churning out nothing but sequels,

It's worth noting that Encanto had a pretty poor box office before becoming a hit on D+ so it's not unprecedented for a movie to catch on after it has been out.

Ghost93

Across the Spider-Verse looks ro reclaim the #1 spot while Elemental stays at No. 2.

99% chance it's because of the premium screens being given back to Spider-Verse as The Flash melted down.
Too bad. Don't get me wrong, I like Across the Spiderverse More, but I would have liked to see Elemental have a win for just one weekend.

TalkingHead

Spider-verse is clearly the movie of June. Depending on how July shakes out, it might be the movie of the summer. Good news for Disney is they did pick a good weekend for Indy although the weeks of mixed-to-negative reactions aren’t going to help.

Nice weekend for Focus/Universal with Asteroid City, which has been playing to crowded theaters around me. Remember the time when TWDC was in the Wes Anderson business?

TsWade2

My friends and I saw Elemental and we loved it. So funny, emotional, and creative. Much better than Turning Red and Lightyear in my opinion. Yes they did include a non binary character I don't agree with, but I'll let it slide. Anyway, great movie and I think it's going to do fine in the box office, despite it's bad start.

Last edited:

BlakeW39

My friends and I saw Elemental and we loved it. So funny, emotional, and creative. Much better than Turning Red and Lightyear in my opinion. Yes they did include a non binary character I don't agree with, but I'll let it slide. Anyway, great movie and I think it's going to do fine in the box office, despite it's bad start.

while I will never agree with the sentiment that LGBTQ characters are simply too controversial to be allowed in movies....

I am glad you liked it. Not trying to start any $#!% either.

Disstevefan1

You can’t argue with the data, Elemental appears to have legs. Some folks on these boards (myself included) may complain about things Disney does, but we are all Disney fans and we can all agree, Disney needs a win and I hope they can get one here:

DE809A82-D5B8-4AC1-B5C1-A27845E98CD7.jpeg

TP2000

Numbers are in for domestic and overseas for this weekend. Elemental continues to track lower than Lightyear, but at least notably higher than the historic disaster Strange World. But that $200 Million production budget for Elemental is going to prevent it from breaking even.

Even if Elemental somehow takes off in Weekend 3 and 4 and matches the Lightyear global total of $2I8 Million, it's going to lose at least a couple hundred Million dollars for Pixar. Not even close to breaking even on this current path.

What exactly does Pixar need to do to get their production budgets lower? Ask the employees to bring in their own Keurig pods from home? Fire the sushi chef in the commissary? Because this type of box office performance isn't sustainable. :oops:

Troubling Trajectory.jpg

BrianLo

This is how Disney is going to have to rebuild the Pixar brand after damaging it during the pandemic - open appealing originals to lackluster first weekends, relying on word of mouth to give them significant box office legs. It may take a few films, but it will be easier to REbuild the brand that way than it was to build it in the first place. What Disney can’t do but will really, really want to is to panic and start churning out nothing but sequels,
Sounds like an amazing business plan.

You aren't wrong though I agree with Casper. The brand has been damaged to a point that they should not be spending tentpole money on their original ideas. Though they should still keep at it. They used to be able to tolerate it because people would show up for "the Pixar movie". That's how Pixar needs to justify the originals, make them more affordable again. Spend a bit more lavishly on the bigger sequels.

It's ironic the budget for Strange World wasn't comparatively as bad. We might actually be having a different conversation right if they reigned in the budget on Elementals by 65 million. It's clearly finding an audience, it just never started with a large enough one.

doctornick

Yes. They’re making a comeback which is good. I guess it’s not the end of Pixar after all.😉
Let’s not go crazy. It’s nice it has some legs and might have a good multiplier once it’s said and done but the reality is that the opening box office was so low that it will be near impossible to even break even with the theatrical box office. This pretty much needs to make a good bit in the secondary revenue sources to avoid being a money loser.

TsWade2

Let’s not go crazy. It’s nice it has some legs and might have a good multiplier once it’s said and done but the reality is that the opening box office was so low that it will be near impossible to even break even with the theatrical box office. This pretty much needs to make a good bit in the secondary revenue sources to avoid being a money loser.
Never mind then.😢

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Never mind then.😢
Keep the positive attitude my friend, especially since you enjoyed the movie. Even if Elemental doesn't turn of profit at the Box Office it is still finding it an audience which is good.

Don't get bogged down in the weeds like the rest of us when it comes to the Box Office.

TsWade2

Keep the positive attitude my friend, especially since you enjoyed the movie. Even if Elemental doesn't turn of profit at the Box Office it is still finding it an audience which is good.

Don't get bogged down in the weeds like the rest of us when it comes to the Box Office.
I know. I'm doing my best. Just be thankful I didn't say it's the end of Pixar. I'm trying not to say that anymore. And even if I did say that, it's just probably my words.;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom