Electricty consumption

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Disney can only generate 30% of its own power. The other 70% are bought from the power company

Al

I should imagine it's all they can do. :)

I could be wrong though, but I have never heard of a limit to how much power you can make :)

jmarc63

The original generating facility has a small capacity compared to current demand on the property, It was originaly designed to handel the area that now is concidered the MK area of the resort which was phase I. the original reason for the plant being built in the first place was that the floridia power company couldn't provide for WDWs power needs at the time, Dont forget, Orlando was still a small town in 71. they also created there own telephone system that was more sophicticated than what the local bell company had at the time.with all the growth, Disney needs to get the extra capacity from other providers since they never built the nuclear plant.

foxfire

Originally posted by Disneyanna0521
The....(my mind has gone blank)...horizion? pavilion generates alot of its power (i cant rememeber what percentage)

Universe of Energy...15% of it's own power according to Birnbaum.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I recall when Epcot was closed last year, due to a power overload. If i'm correct... the power source changes from the City of Orlando to Windermere at 2-3AM... Orlando never shut it off and boom! I'm not sure about this one though..

viget0514

Energy consumption

Not to be too picky... :)

A megawatt is a unit of power, which is energy/unit time. Thus megawattage is an indication of how much energy can be put out per second. Disney may very well require 10 megawatts in order to power all of its electricity needs, but that's not the same as consumption.

Power consumption is measured as watt-hours or power*time which equals energy. So I'd guess that WDW requires 240 MWh of energy each day (maybe less since energy consumption at night is probably less than during the day). To put it in perspective, an average household probably only uses on the order of tens of kWh per day, approx 10,000 times less.

viget0514

oops

Just saw that it was 60 MW, not 10. SO that'd be 1440 MWh or 1.4 GWh !!!! That's probably like 100,000 times the amount of energy you consume in your house. Rather amazing.

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
Originally posted by mkt
I recall when Epcot was closed last year, due to a power overload. If i'm correct... the power source changes from the City of Orlando to Windermere at 2-3AM... Orlando never shut it off and boom! I'm not sure about this one though..

I thought I read they were doing maintenance on it and one of the workers left a grounding unit on it and when they turned the power back on...BOOM. Bye-bye EPCOT for a day.

Edit: This is what I remembered (from another thread)...

Apparently, third shift was doing PMs on the equipment at CEP. They were working on the 60Kv line (that’s 60,000 Volt) and they put grounding straps on all three phases as a precaution (the power was, of course, off at that point). When they finished they turned on the power, and as a ball of fire headed through the ceiling, one guy said “Did you remember to remove the grounding straps?”

Okay, the last in conjuncture, but the effect was the same...60,000 Volts surging directly to “ground.”

Figment1986

From Tampa to disney portion of I-4 it is on the edge of the property

pylon.jpg

Day

power.jpg

Night

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
Originally posted by Figment1986
From Tampa to disney portion of I-4 it is on the edge of the property

pylon.jpg

Day

power.jpg

Night

I never knew what that was. I thought it was some kind of radio or tv antenna. Power pole, would have never guessed that one.

Figment1986

Originally posted by AkiraRaptor
I never knew what that was. I thought it was some kind of radio or tv antenna. Power pole, would have never guessed that one.

Another ascceptable guess would have been Cell phone tower, (Not bad idea disney, place these themed towers up and then paint them to be nice decorative disney themed Cell towers.)

Yen_Sid1

I thought I read they were doing maintenance on it and one of the workers left a grounding unit on it and when they turned the power back on...BOOM. Bye-bye EPCOT for a day.

Actually it was outside contractors who weren't familar with WDW's Lockout/Tagout procedures. The energized the power when they weren't supposed to. That's what happens when you try to get cheap outside help.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom