El Rio rehab details from Animator

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Micechat had an interview with one of Disney's animators, Dave Bossert, and toward the end of the interview he talks about the upcoming El Rio del Tiempo makeover with the 3 Cabelleros.

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53526

DB: Basically, they’re refurbishing the Mexico pavilion and they asked us to do a new film. You ride on a boat through the Mexico pavilion and there’s a series of, I think, 16 screens. So we’re now telling a little story with Donald, Jose and Panchito. As you go through the ride, Jose and Panchito are looking for Donald. It’s really really fun with some really beautiful animation and it’s nice to be working with some of the classic characters. I think it’s going to open in April or May down in Epcot.

sbkline

Micechat had an interview with one of Disney's animators, Dave Bossert, and toward the end of the interview he talks about the upcoming El Rio del Tiempo makeover with the 3 Cabelleros.

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53526

Just a couple thoughts here:

It had better not be April OR MAY! We're going at the end of April, and if it ain't open for us when we go, there's gonna be heads rolling. :ROFLOL:

Whatever else they do with that pavillion (and myself, I'd rather see it left alone) I really, really really hope that they keep the theme song and the narrator who says "May-hee-ko" at the end.

the-reason14

So when they say screens is it going to be a similar attraction to nemos undersea adventure? It seems like a lot is going to change with this instead of a few 3 cabs here and ther like I thought at first.

ToTBellHop

Nemo? No. Recall the attraction in its former form. There were movie screens throughout the ride--they had Mayans, cliff divers, etc. Those screens will now show the new movies. Not a major change. I think it'll be nice, but it's not exactly a must-see for me.

madtheswine630

Aw, come on! I loved that cheesy, 70s travel video look the movies had! :lol: Actually, I didn't realize the ride existed until this last time I visited (I know, where have I been??). I know it's not a ride you're supposed to laugh at, but I cracked up the whole way through. It just...seems like you're supposed to; the movies and narration are sort of hokey!

Still, I love that volcano bit. It's really pretty. :) (I'm serious! I kinda wish it was more like the ride over in Norway, lol)

Scar Junior

A few thoughts...

1. My first choice would be a total refurb (with addition of AAs)... but since this isn't the case, it's good to read that someone involved in the project is optimistic.

2. Though skeptical of the animation tie-in, I have been warming up to it recently. I am now looking forward to riding this "if we have free time" level attraction on my next trip.

3. I'm not sure about the "may-hee-ko" comment. I'm not a great Spanish student, but have no idea what this would translate to. Anyone know what sbkline is talking about? What is the correct spelling? No offense sbkline, I just am trying to find the actual saying and translation because I'm a Disney nerd who happens to be in my last year (thank God) of Spanish.

davidpw97

A few thoughts...

1. My first choice would be a total refurb (with addition of AAs)... but since this isn't the case, it's good to read that someone involved in the project is optimistic.

2. Though skeptical of the animation tie-in, I have been warming up to it recently. I am now looking forward to riding this "if we have free time" level attraction on my next trip.

3. I'm not sure about the "may-hee-ko" comment. I'm not a great Spanish student, but have no idea what this would translate to. Anyone know what sbkline is talking about? What is the correct spelling? No offense sbkline, I just am trying to find the actual saying and translation because I'm a Disney nerd who happens to be in my last year (thank God) of Spanish.

I could be wrong here, I haven't been on this ride in forever because like you I usually put it in my "if we have free time" or the "only if its raining" list of rides, but I think the "May-hee-ko" comment is referring to the way the narrator says Mexico with his thick Spanish accent.

I haven't been on this ride often enough to remember it scene for scene, so I guess i'd say i'm indifferent to the refurb since I probably wouldn't be able to tell what was changed anyway.

Scar Junior

I could be wrong here, I haven't been on this ride in forever because like you I usually put it in my "if we have free time" or the "only if its raining" list of rides, but I think the "May-hee-ko" comment is referring to the way the narrator says Mexico with his thick Spanish accent.

Ahh! Haha. That very well could be what sbkline is talking about. I read his comment phonetically... which would explain my confusion. Thanks for the help Dave. I was thinking of his words as literal translations to Spanish! :ROFLOL:

dazzer68

i think if you were the mexican tourist board you,d want this ride madeover!
its in dire need of it, yes the cheesy 70,s movies were funny to look at but come on not really the thing you wanna see nowadays are they!you want to see the modern mexico not an image of a country in the 70.s!

kcnole

I've always hated this ride because I felt like it lied to me. It's got one of the best setups of any ride around with the beautiful Mayan pyramid. It sets such a dark and very cool vibe. Then you round the corner and you're in It's a small world. I've always thought that those two things just didn't work together and always felt this attraction could have been so much more than it was.

sbkline

Ahh! Haha. That very well could be what sbkline is talking about. I read his comment phonetically... which would explain my confusion. Thanks for the help Dave. I was thinking of his words as literal translations to Spanish! :ROFLOL:

Yes, that is what I was referring to. Sorry for the confusion. But I think that's how the Mexicans (or perhaps I should also include the Spanish) pronounce the "X" sound. Speedy Gonzales used to say "May-hee-ko" when speaking of Mexico. And when we went to Texas a couple years ago and were looking at some of the old sites, we saw that the Mexican settlers refered to Texas as Tejas, pronounced "Tay-Haas".

JeffC

Any chance they'll be done early and have a soft opening. We'll be down there in March through the 31 and would love to see it. We don't get down there much - every 4-5 years, so it would be nice to see it new. This was one of my favorite rides.

sbkline

Any chance they'll be done early and have a soft opening. We'll be down there in March through the 31 and would love to see it. We don't get down there much - every 4-5 years, so it would be nice to see it new. This was one of my favorite rides.

I may be wrong, but I think Disney's refurb schedules are pretty much etched in stone. If they say a ride will close for refurb on Friday the 1st, then you can rest assured that it will close on Friday the 1st. If they say it will open up again on Friday the 31st, then you can pretty much rest assured that it will open again on Friday the 31st and not a day sooner.

Again, I may be wrong, but I think their schedules are pretty ironclad.

dxwwf3

It will be interesting to see how this gels with the tone of the Mexican pavilion. I have no doubt that it can be tastefully done and can fit in World Showcase, but it also could be a bit of a disaster. However, the current attraction really ONLY appealed to big WDW fans and was extremely dated, so something had to be done.

sbkline

I just hope they keep it, to a large degree, about Mexico and not about Donald and company. After all, the rides/attractions of WS are supposed to be about their respective countries. I hope this refurb isn't just step one in an overall goal to take the focus of the attractions off of the country and place the focus instead on Disney Characters. :(

hauntdmansion79

Are you serious? You take Spanish classes and can't decipher "may-hee-ko"? It's Mexico.....or Mehico man!

I don't mean to offend, just suprised.

maelstrom

This ride just reminds me so much of If You Had Wings and it seems like that IYHW feelings is going to be gone with this rehab.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom