Lee

Adventurer
mkt said:
and at the top edge of the foliage here:
dsc09375_std.jpg

Mmmmmm....helixy goodness!:sohappy:

Epcot82Guy

Great pics, guys! Thanks.

Can anyone comment on the visual speed of the trains (besides, "oh... bout 50 mph," ya jokers!) I realize adding a couple tons of guest weight will bring up that speed, but does it appear fairly fast now? Just curious how this thing will stack up as a ride system alone. Can't wait. Hope to get on that thing this summer! :sohappy:

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
the drop on the front of the mountain (visible by any guest) flies by pretty fast... that's what I've been able to see.

Tim G

Epcot82Guy said:
Great pics, guys! Thanks.

Can anyone comment on the visual speed of the trains (besides, "oh... bout 50 mph," ya jokers!) I realize adding a couple tons of guest weight will bring up that speed, but does it appear fairly fast now? Just curious how this thing will stack up as a ride system alone. Can't wait. Hope to get on that thing this summer! :sohappy:
Because something has more weight, doesn't mean it falls faster... There was an acient italian guy who proved that, a long time ago, by dropping an apple and a canonball at the same from the same height... They hit the ground at the same time...

But anyway... no, it will not be traveling faster downwards with more people on the train..

CaptainMichael

Corrus said:
Because something has more weight, doesn't mean it falls faster... There was an acient italian guy who proved that, a long time ago, by dropping an apple and a canonball at the same from the same height... They hit the ground at the same time
And to this day, that still baffles me!

ogryn

STR8FAN2005 said:
And to this day, that still baffles me!

Consider the free-falling motion of a 1000-kg baby elephant and a 1-kg overgrown mouse.

f Newton's second law were applied to their falling motion, and if a free-body diagram were constructed, then it would be seen that the 1000-kg baby elephant would experiences a greater force of gravity. This greater force of gravity would have a direct effect upon the elephant's acceleration; thus, based on force alone, it might be thought that the 10-kg rock would accelerate faster. But acceleration depends upon two factors: force and mass. The 10-kg elephant obviously has more mass (or inertia). This increased mass has an inverse effect upon the elephant's acceleration. And thus, the direct effect of greater force on the 10-kg elephant is offset by the inverse effect of the greater mass of the 10-kg elephant; and so each object accelerates at the same rate - approximately 10 m/s/s. The ratio of force to mass (Fnet/m) is the same for the elephant and the mouse under situations involving free fall; this ratio (Fnet/m) is equivalent to the acceleration of the object.
http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/phys/Class/newtlaws/u2l3e.html

See....:lol:

Tim G

Connor002 said:
Did he account for wind resistence?:lookaroun
It was a proven scientific discovery, so let's don't argue about it...

Be glad we have something like that, or else big rollercoasters wouldn't be possible without getting a big headache over it...

Madison

Corrus said:
Because something has more weight, doesn't mean it falls faster... There was an acient italian guy who proved that, a long time ago, by dropping an apple and a canonball at the same from the same height... They hit the ground at the same time...

But anyway... no, it will not be traveling faster downwards with more people on the train..

Galileo, for anyone who's curious, is that ancient Italian guy. He was, uh, not too well liked for his "theories," as it were.

In reality, for two objects to fall from the same height and hit the ground at the same time, they must be of uniform shape, but can vary in density. A feather and a cannonball, as the story typically goes, will not actually hit the ground at the same time in anything but a vacuum.

When we talk about roller coasters, intuition suggests that heavier roller coaster trains will actually go slower, as friction is a function of an object's normal force which, in turn, is dependent on its weight. Physics, however, is as complicated as people think it is and strange things sometimes happen -- so it's not unheard of that a heavier coaster train will go a bit faster.

That said, the maximum stated top speed for a ride like Everest is often calculated with such things in consideration, so the weight of its riders and such have all be carefully considered throughout the design process. In the end, the stated speed should be reasonably accurate.

Tim G

STR8FAN2005 said:
I understand it, but it just doesn't seem right.
ok... to put your mind at ease...
Believe, Galileo, Ogryn, and me... THAT would make you happy...

If not... :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: Believe your teacher...

Tim G

Madison said:
Galileo, for anyone who's curious, is that ancient Italian guy. He was, uh, not too well liked for his "theories," as it were.

In reality, for two objects to fall from the same height and hit the ground at the same time, they must be of uniform shape, but can vary in density. A feather and a cannonball, as the story typically goes, will not actually hit the ground at the same time in anything but a vacuum.

When we talk about roller coasters, intuition suggests that heavier roller coaster trains will actually go slower, as friction is a function of an object's normal force which, in turn, is dependent on its weight. Physics, however, is as complicated as people think it is and strange things sometimes happen -- so it's not unheard of that a heavier coaster train will go a bit faster.

That said, the maximum stated top speed for a ride like Everest is often calculated with such things in consideration, so the weight of its riders and such have all be carefully considered throughout the design process. In the end, the stated speed should be reasonably accurate.
Phew!!!
excellent explanation, I'm always pretty bad in explaining these thing, I know the way the hypothesis works, but I can't teach. You can, because you ARE a teacher... and that's a gift too...

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Corrus said:
ok... to put your mind at ease...
Believe, Galileo, Ogryn, and me... THAT would make you happy...

If not... :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: Believe your teacher...
Gallileo, Gallileo,
Gallileo, Gallileo,
Gallileo Figaro - magnifico
But I'm just a poor boy and nobody loves me
He's just a poor boy from a poor family
Spare him his life from this monstrosity
Easy come easy go - will you let me go
Bismillah! No - we will not let you go - let him go
Bismillah! We will not let you go - let him go
Bismillah! We will not let you go - let me go
Will not let you go - let me go (never)
Never let you go - let me go
Never let me go - ooo
No, no, no, no, no, no, no -

Tim G

mkt said:
Gallileo, Gallileo,
Gallileo, Gallileo,
Gallileo Figaro - magnifico
But I'm just a poor boy and nobody loves me
He's just a poor boy from a poor family
Spare him his life from this monstrosity
Easy come easy go - will you let me go
Bismillah! No - we will not let you go - let him go
Bismillah! We will not let you go - let him go
Bismillah! We will not let you go - let me go
Will not let you go - let me go (never)
Never let you go - let me go
Never let me go - ooo
No, no, no, no, no, no, no -
Bravo, Bravo, Bravisimo.'. '...'''''... :king:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom