EE: Please help me be a responsible parent.

LAM378

So I get to make my FPs tomorrow and I'm wondering if I should let my son ride EE. He is over 44" tall and turns 5 the week after this "birthday trip" in August.

There's a big backstory here, but if you don't feel like reading it, please feel free to skip it and just read the last paragraph. I will understand.

Before we went to WDW last month, Max was a chicken. But he quickly tired of princesses and "baby stuff!" and went on Barnstormer. Loved it, but found it too short. Loved Splash and BTMRR and rode them repeatedly. I didn't ride because I don't do mountains. I dread the drop on PotC.

Anyhow, a few days in, Max started begging to do Space Mountain. He'd seen it on TTA. I didn't think he'd be tall enough, so I told him he could ride it if he was. He was like 1/8" over the height limit, and after much high-fiving with the CM who measured him outside, he was in.

So I'm sitting outside with my dad, who hasn't ridden it in 13 years, when he suddenly remembers Uncle Chris can't sit next to Max on this ride. And I start sweating because I just sent my baby into Space Mountain and my brother can't hold him and I'm having horrible visions of Max flying out of the ride vehicle because he doesn't know how to brace himself, he just rode his first roller coaster 3 days ago and WHAT HAVE I DONE. It was like a sick joke that I couldn't even call my brother to stop them... because I was holding his cell phone.

I waited at the ride exit shaking and reminding myself how much my brother loves Max, how he'd find a way to hold onto him, that he wouldn't let anything bad happen to him. The proof is in the ride photo:

wd045wdw201413775560361.jpeg

My brother leaned out of his seat the whole time so he had a good grip on Max. (I don't know the guy in front of Max.)

I was really shook up. I couldn't shake the feeling that I'd taken a big risk letting him ride. I was "off" the rest of the day, couldn't sleep that night; I kept thinking about the things that could have gone horribly wrong. My brother was a little shook, too--he hadn't remembered how rough and jerky Space is, how you're not ready for the drops because it's pitch dark. He said he was actually holding Max's head sometimes because otherwise his little peanut head was whipping around too much. He said that even though Max intensely loved it, there was no way he'd take him back on it anytime soon. It was too wild for Max, even if Max didn't think so. That nauseated me, made me feel even guiltier. All day I kept checking him over, checking his pupils, asking him how he felt. He was fine. Space Mountain was his favorite part of WDW. Every time he saw it thereafter, he'd scream, "I CONQUERED YOU!" at it.

Which brings me to EE. We didn't hit AK last month, but we will when we go in August. Max is fixated on EE because he saw it in a planning video. He loves watching the on-ride videos of it. "ANOTHER MOUNTAIN!!!!!" he has to conquer. "I'VE GOT TO SEE THE YETI!!!" He'd be riding with his father, who has never been to WDW (and isn't a huge fan of coasters, but will do anything for Max, and will definitely hold him tight).

TL;DR: I'm worried because when I read comparisons of Space Mountain and EE, some people say they're similar, or that EE is actually worse. Jerking and whipping and g-forces (I don't even know what they are because again, I'm a chicken). I feel terror when I watch the ride videos. The thought of him riding EE is even scarier (illogically) because it's outdoors and I picture him flying out of the ride through the air :in pain:. So what would you do? How rough is it? Would you put a Space-Mountain loving 4-year-old on it? Or should I tell him it's being refurbished while we're there? ;)

Nemo14

I found Primeval Whirl to be more of a problem with a younger child. My poor son (at age 5 or so) was sliding all over the place and I was trying to hold him in!
I totally agree, although I never took a little one on it since I myself was sliding all over on that. Never again!

Upvote 0

RayTheFirefly

Kids his size ride it all the time. It's an awesome, smooth ride, and he's going to have a blast. If you're really afraid, just have a quick chat with him beforehand about the ride and let him know his dad will be there if he gets scared.

He's gonna have fun. Encourage him and commend him for being such a brave boy :)

Upvote 0

tlev

My daughter rode EE for the first time when she was 4. She loves it!!! I feel that is is very safe. Space Mountain, on the other hand, she did not ride until she was 7. This has to do with the ride vehicle and the darkness. She enjoyed it as well. However, EE is her favorite. We ride it at least 5-6 times every trip.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
So I get to make my FPs tomorrow and I'm wondering if I should let my son ride EE. He is over 44" tall and turns 5 the week after this "birthday trip" in August.

There's a big backstory here, but if you don't feel like reading it, please feel free to skip it and just read the last paragraph. I will understand.

Before we went to WDW last month, Max was a chicken. But he quickly tired of princesses and "baby stuff!" and went on Barnstormer. Loved it, but found it too short. Loved Splash and BTMRR and rode them repeatedly. I didn't ride because I don't do mountains. I dread the drop on PotC.

Anyhow, a few days in, Max started begging to do Space Mountain. He'd seen it on TTA. I didn't think he'd be tall enough, so I told him he could ride it if he was. He was like 1/8" over the height limit, and after much high-fiving with the CM who measured him outside, he was in.

So I'm sitting outside with my dad, who hasn't ridden it in 13 years, when he suddenly remembers Uncle Chris can't sit next to Max on this ride. And I start sweating because I just sent my baby into Space Mountain and my brother can't hold him and I'm having horrible visions of Max flying out of the ride vehicle because he doesn't know how to brace himself, he just rode his first roller coaster 3 days ago and WHAT HAVE I DONE. It was like a sick joke that I couldn't even call my brother to stop them... because I was holding his cell phone.

I waited at the ride exit shaking and reminding myself how much my brother loves Max, how he'd find a way to hold onto him, that he wouldn't let anything bad happen to him. The proof is in the ride photo:

View attachment 56005
My brother leaned out of his seat the whole time so he had a good grip on Max. (I don't know the guy in front of Max.)

I was really shook up. I couldn't shake the feeling that I'd taken a big risk letting him ride. I was "off" the rest of the day, couldn't sleep that night; I kept thinking about the things that could have gone horribly wrong. My brother was a little shook, too--he hadn't remembered how rough and jerky Space is, how you're not ready for the drops because it's pitch dark. He said he was actually holding Max's head sometimes because otherwise his little peanut head was whipping around too much. He said that even though Max intensely loved it, there was no way he'd take him back on it anytime soon. It was too wild for Max, even if Max didn't think so. That nauseated me, made me feel even guiltier. All day I kept checking him over, checking his pupils, asking him how he felt. He was fine. Space Mountain was his favorite part of WDW. Every time he saw it thereafter, he'd scream, "I CONQUERED YOU!" at it.

Which brings me to EE. We didn't hit AK last month, but we will when we go in August. Max is fixated on EE because he saw it in a planning video. He loves watching the on-ride videos of it. "ANOTHER MOUNTAIN!!!!!" he has to conquer. "I'VE GOT TO SEE THE YETI!!!" He'd be riding with his father, who has never been to WDW (and isn't a huge fan of coasters, but will do anything for Max, and will definitely hold him tight).

TL;DR: I'm worried because when I read comparisons of Space Mountain and EE, some people say they're similar, or that EE is actually worse. Jerking and whipping and g-forces (I don't even know what they are because again, I'm a chicken). I feel terror when I watch the ride videos. The thought of him riding EE is even scarier (illogically) because it's outdoors and I picture him flying out of the ride through the air :in pain:. So what would you do? How rough is it? Would you put a Space-Mountain loving 4-year-old on it? Or should I tell him it's being refurbished while we're there? ;)

Max looks like he had a blast riding Space Mountain. At that age, the only coaster I would be concerned about is Space Mountain - both Splash Mountain and BTMRR have 2 people seats and aren't nearly as intense as Space Mountain - so if he did Space okay, he will be fine with EE. Just remind him he needs to lean back against the headrest.

My adult child no longer wants to do Space Mountain - she doesn't like coasters in the dark or going backwards (but she loves Rockin' Roller Coaster, go figure that one) but I am game for anything.

Upvote 0

LAM378

Original Poster
Thank you ALL for your responses. I'm loving this thread and I felt embarrassed and a little stupid posting it, but I'm glad I did.

It's not as if 43 inches and 15/16ths inches means CERTAIN DOOM.

@natatomic , I only quoted a small piece, but in my head, I'm hugging you for that post. It addressed all of my concerns, and I appreciate it. I feel a million times more at peace with letting him ride anything at WDW after reading that. And if I'm sitting outside on a chicken bench, starting to get nervous for him, I'll pull up your post and read it again and it will calm me down :).

Side story--I hadn't been to WDW in 14 years because I was afraid to fly. I have anxiety disorder so I fear a lot of things I shouldn't, but flying was the biggest. I beat that fear to a pulp to get my son to WDW last month. It was all I focused on in the months leading up to the trip, and I worked incredibly hard, mentally and physically, to get myself to the point where I could get on a plane and not flip out. It worked. I flew like a champ. Never once did I let Max know I was afraid, because I don't want him to inherit the fear.

BUT, it baffles everyone--including me--that I confronted my biggest fear, and still will not ride a single coaster. Should be easy, compared to flying! But...nope. I won't even ride 7DMT in August. Nope nope nope. It's funny, the fears our brains become fixated on. In any case, your coaster count is impressive, and you will have A BLAST riding everything with your little guy as he reaches those height milestones!

This is my biggest fear when my parents do come along as they are old and they like coasters and Tower of Terror and stuff but it still worries me that they might have a heart attack lol

You're not alone! I was so worried for my dad. I was glad he hadn't gone on Space Mountain and I was terrified when he was in ToT! He was fine but it's such a strange reversal to worry so much about our parents.

I worked myself up into such a tizzy with Sheik-Ra that my legs were like rubber when I was approaching the train.

That's the problem. I hate drops...but a drop is a drop is a drop. My plane ride to FL had more drops than BTMRR. But I can't stand the anticipatory anxiety. I will work myself into such a state in the queue, and on the ride waiting for the drops, that it's just not worth it to me. Good for you for getting on anyway!

Tl;dr - memory is notorious for being pliable, unreliable, and the worst form of proof for anything.

It's funny this came up because when I was on 9, I was on a plane where the engine exploded and fell off, and the wing caught fire. We made a very scary emergency landing. It was incredibly frightening for everyone, obviously, but when I started working on my fear of flying in January, I compared my memories of that flight to my mother's memories. Turns out I have "memories" of parts of the flight that had no basis in reality. I have visions, clear as a bell, of things that never happened. It was absolutely horrible, but I had built it up even worse in my head.

If he wants to do EE, let him. (If you're concerned, watch some of the Youtube videos of the ride, so he knows what to expect.) In my experience, it's far less jerky than Space Mountain, and because you're not in the dark the whole time, you can see what's coming. A family member can sit next to him on EE...

My crazy child watches the Youtube videos of EE every day...I, on the other hand, get all shaky watching! He knows the ride by heart already and can't wait for it. I'm happy everyone here made me feel better about it, and now I can just enjoy how amped he is and get him even more excited for it :D.

Her son is four years old. At that age, its a parnet's JOB to overthink everything.

It is. :) And the comments I got from some other parents about putting him on Space made me think I was a horribly negligent parent, which hurt. I feel so much better now knowing I can let him love this stuff!

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Thank you ALL for your responses. I'm loving this thread and I felt embarrassed and a little stupid posting it, but I'm glad I did.

@natatomic , I only quoted a small piece, but in my head, I'm hugging you for that post. It addressed all of my concerns, and I appreciate it. I feel a million times more at peace with letting him ride anything at WDW after reading that. And if I'm sitting outside on a chicken bench, starting to get nervous for him, I'll pull up your post and read it again and it will calm me down :).

Side story--I hadn't been to WDW in 14 years because I was afraid to fly. I have anxiety disorder so I fear a lot of things I shouldn't, but flying was the biggest. I beat that fear to a pulp to get my son to WDW last month. It was all I focused on in the months leading up to the trip, and I worked incredibly hard, mentally and physically, to get myself to the point where I could get on a plane and not flip out. It worked. I flew like a champ. Never once did I let Max know I was afraid, because I don't want him to inherit the fear.

BUT, it baffles everyone--including me--that I confronted my biggest fear, and still will not ride a single coaster. Should be easy, compared to flying! But...nope. I won't even ride 7DMT in August. Nope nope nope. It's funny, the fears our brains become fixated on. In any case, your coaster count is impressive, and you will have A BLAST riding everything with your little guy as he reaches those height milestones!

You're not alone! I was so worried for my dad. I was glad he hadn't gone on Space Mountain and I was terrified when he was in ToT! He was fine but it's such a strange reversal to worry so much about our parents.

That's the problem. I hate drops...but a drop is a drop is a drop. My plane ride to FL had more drops than BTMRR. But I can't stand the anticipatory anxiety. I will work myself into such a state in the queue, and on the ride waiting for the drops, that it's just not worth it to me. Good for you for getting on anyway!

It's funny this came up because when I was on 9, I was on a plane where the engine exploded and fell off, and the wing caught fire. We made a very scary emergency landing. It was incredibly frightening for everyone, obviously, but when I started working on my fear of flying in January, I compared my memories of that flight to my mother's memories. Turns out I have "memories" of parts of the flight that had no basis in reality. I have visions, clear as a bell, of things that never happened. It was absolutely horrible, but I had built it up even worse in my head.

My crazy child watches the Youtube videos of EE every day...I, on the other hand, get all shaky watching! He knows the ride by heart already and can't wait for it. I'm happy everyone here made me feel better about it, and now I can just enjoy how amped he is and get him even more excited for it :D.

It is. :) And the comments I got from some other parents about putting him on Space made me think I was a horribly negligent parent, which hurt. I feel so much better now knowing I can let him love this stuff!

I don't have a fear of flying, I just hate it - the whole sardine crammed into a metal can thing. Which really irked my dad - he worked in the airline business for over 40 years. Flying back home on a very turbulent ride once elicited a response from the guy in the seat next to me - I had been to Disneyland and was talking about my visit - "kinda like riding Space Mountain, right?". Which made me laugh....

Upvote 0

Rob562

I'll chime in that I'm still a little miffed at my Mom for not letting me ride Space Mountain at Disneyland with my sister and cousins when I was 6 years old despite me being more than tall enough. She too was scared that something would happen. (Fast forward 30 years and I'm a huge coaster geek)

Unfortunately I still haven't ridden it, since it was closed for refurbishment the only other time I've been to Disneyland...

-Rob

Upvote 0

DisneyGigi

I am going to throw my 2 cents in since we did have an experience on EE my daughter's first ride. She was 7 at the time. She rode Space Mountain and did fine and Rockin' Roller Coaster with no problems. When the backward part of the ride on EE began I don't think that she had her neck braced but it was so intense for her it terrified her to the point that she literally passed out. Like as in I had to hold her head back for the remainder of the ride. She didn't come back to until the drop. I was terrified and all I could think is how stupid I was for putting her on it. Neither of us would get back on it until she was 9. She loves it now and I do too but that backwards part I think can be very intense for some if you haven't braced your head and neck for it. Make sure your brother or whoever is riding with him has him hold his head back properly. It is a great ride though that is for sure.

Upvote 0

cw1982

In response to @DisneyShe's comment above, I'm going to suggest that the better option if you're concerned about head and neck injuries is to make sure kids know how to sit properly on these rides to start with. The last thing anyone needs to be doing is trying to control someone else's head or neck, because if the person trying to help gets caught off guard and jerks the wrong way for whatever reason, the results can be disastrous.

Just remind your son to sit with his head back against the seat, and to not try to turn his head from side to side during the ride, and he should be fine.

Upvote 0

DisneyGigi

In response to @DisneyShe's comment above, I'm going to suggest that the better option if you're concerned about head and neck injuries is to make sure kids know how to sit properly on these rides to start with. The last thing anyone needs to be doing is trying to control someone else's head or neck, because if the person trying to help gets caught off guard and jerks the wrong way for whatever reason, the results can be disastrous.

Just remind your son to sit with his head back against the seat, and to not try to turn his head from side to side during the ride, and he should be fine.

I may have misworded that. I didn't mean to suggest that someone else hold his head back but meant to make sure that they firmly warned him to hold his head back against the seat himself. I did tell my daughter this but I had to hold her head back because she literally passed out she was so afraid. It was horrible for me because I was leaning forward only concerned about her. She is 16 now and loves all rides especially EE but that was definitely a scary, scary incident!

Upvote 0

cw1982

I may have misworded that. I didn't mean to suggest that someone else hold his head back but meant to make sure that they firmly warned him to hold his head back against the seat himself. I did tell my daughter this but I had to hold her head back because she literally passed out she was so afraid. It was horrible for me because I was leaning forward only concerned about her. She is 16 now and loves all rides especially EE but that was definitely a scary, scary incident!

Oh, if someone has passed out in a situation like that it's definitely better to try and prevent further damage if you can safely do so. I wasn't trying to be critical of you at all; just didn't want anyone getting hurt because their parents think that putting a hand on their child's neck or head while on a roller coaster is a good idea lol.

Glad your daughter is okay and that she loves EE now! It was one of my faves last week :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

melmel89

As long as he wants to ride, and meets the height requirement he will be just fine. he seems quite the little daredevil so he will probably have an awesome time. The lap bars are really snug on EE so he wont be getting thrown about like on space mountain, and he will be able to have someone right next to him to give you extra peace of mind.

Upvote 0

smk

Funny that I am reading these posts today. My grandson, who is a mere 18 moths old is very tall, 35.5 inches to be exact, way off the chart, dad is 6'5, Grandpas are 6'4, so he comes by it honestly. I read that 7dwmt has a height requirement of 38 inches. He could be that tall in a matter of months, meaning he could be less than 2 years old and tall enough to ride. Scary thought. Glad that is not going to be my decision.....

Upvote 0

loriloughs

I understand exactly how you feel. I have a "miracle" daughter and I take helicopter mom to a new extreme. From a very early age my daughter, Mary, wanted to go on the big rides! Unfortunately she's a peanut and at 17 she still doesn't even hit 5 feet. So you know how old she was before she could get on thrill rides. I actually bought sneakers with big soles and put inserts in them to try to get her high enough to ride "The Hulk" at Universal. It wasn't until I actually got there that I said, "there's a reason they have height requirements" and went through the whole scenario you experienced with Space Mountain!! OMG!

Anyway, she went on and she was fine. Expedition Everest is like Big Thunder Mountain Railroad on steroids. He will sit very low in the seat and will NOT fall out. There is a lap bar. I don't want to be a spoiler, but after you come to the broken tracks (although I am hearing they now took those out, so you might just see sky), the coaster goes backwards in the dark. If Max is a thrill seeker, he will absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE EE. Have so much fun on your trip!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom