EE EFX Update

AndyMagic

ISTCNavigator57 said:
Coasters are usually built to be okay in the rain though--thus, most parks will run rollercoasters in the rain--just not t-storms for obvious reasons.

Exactly! Why are people using "water effects the sensors" as an excuse when the majority of roller coasters in the world are outdoor and operate in the pouring rain! We don't see these coasters smashing into each other because the break sensors suddenly failed. Heck, Mummy uses so much mist it leaves riders wet by the end of the ride and we don't see the turntable malfunctioning and sending riders off the track. Even the Matterhorn at Disneyland built more than 50 years ago has no problem having some of the track submerged in the water. There has got to be another reason why the mist isn't working and if it IS the sensors, I don't understand how WDI who had a ride three years in development missed thinking ahead. Sorry I just got back from the World and was yet again disappointed by the ride.

Yen_Sid1

AndyMagic said:
Exactly! Why are people using "water effects the sensors" as an excuse when the majority of roller coasters in the world are outdoor and operate in the pouring rain! We don't see these coasters smashing into each other because the break sensors suddenly failed. Heck, Mummy uses so much mist it leaves riders wet by the end of the ride and we don't see the turntable malfunctioning and sending riders off the track. Even the Matterhorn at Disneyland built more than 50 years ago has no problem having some of the track submerged in the water. There has got to be another reason why the mist isn't working and if it IS the sensors, I don't understand how WDI who had a ride three years in development missed thinking ahead. Sorry I just got back from the World and was yet again disappointed by the ride.

It depends on what type of sensor it is

Testtrack321

The ONLY coaster I know that cannot run in the rain is Hypersonic XLC, and that's because it uses I-beams instead of tubular rails as tracks, and with rain and a fast acceleration it's not a pretty sight.

Lee

Adventurer
It's tough to compare EE to an average coaster. Most coasters don't have rotating switchtracks in the middle of the ride. If one of those sensors freaks out...thinks the train has already gone by, for example...it could get ugly.

I'm not saying that the fog issues is related to the sensors, I haven't heard for sure WHAT is up with the fog, but I will say those sensors need a little extra care.

Pabgo

^ That would suck! Imagine the sensor thinks a train hasn't gone by when you're at the top and then it rolls back down the lift hill! That's impossible because the lift hill has anti-rollback devices though!

bassman

DisneyCane said:
I rode EE yesterday at about 2:30.

Yeti in A mode as it has been every time I've ever ridden including a couple of times over the last month.

Steam not working. It was last time I was there (5/23).

Cold room not very cold.

Still no replacement for the mist effect.

Ride seemed to be running pretty smooth. It looked like they would dispatch a train about every 40 seconds when I could see. That calculates out to 3060 riders per hour if it is the norm.

On a side note, EE definitely seems to be improving Animal Kingdom's attendance. It was the most crowded I've ever seen it. Dinosour was 40 min, Kali 80 min. I used to go to AK when the other parks were packed and Dinosour was practically a walk-on.

ok i know this is late but iv only just got on my computer.
thanks for the update.
err im a little concerened:(
i am visiting 'the world' in september and i am sooooo excited that i can ride everest,but from your info and others it semms to only just be running.by this i mean not all if any of the effects have been working ever since it opened.
i am hoping that this is teething problems and that when it has been open for a few months it will work fully.
i want to experience EE with the whole ball of wax and at the moment it seems a very possibility that it wont be fully functional in september.

and one more question,
is dinosaur fully functional now,since i last when on it,which is about 2 years ago,it sounds as though it has just been running without the major FX such as the dinosaur actually moving in the attack scene when it takes your pic.

CHAPPS

Account Suspended
So let me see if I've got this straight. Back when Everest was in soft openings and people were saying it was a disappointment, all I kept reading on these boards was that "It's in test mode." and "It will get better." and "Don't judge it until it's officially open." Now that it IS officially open, it seems like it hasn't actually gained any new effects or improvements, but instead it's LOST some, not to mentioned the ones that it's kept seem to have a tendency to break down a lot. What gives?? I thought this was supposed to be a cutting edge attraction. It seems like things keep breaking and it's barely a few months old.

Rob562

ISTCNavigator57 said:
Coasters are usually built to be okay in the rain though--thus, most parks will run rollercoasters in the rain--just not t-storms for obvious reasons.

Well, the one thing to keep in mind, though, is that while pretty much all coasters are designed to be rained on and to run in the rain, they're not necessarily designed to be rained on ALLLLLL day EVERY day.

The switchtracks themselves are both under cover and protected from direct rainfall, but perhaps they found that the mist effects were having an adverse affect on them. There's also the possibility that the pinch-wheel advancer motors at the top of the mountain were having trouble with being constrantly damp.

-Rob

ToTBellHop

That I can buy--they don't want the sensors wet but even so, with Florida rain, on a rainy day, the whole track will eventually get wet--it tracks all along the track on the wheels as the day goes on, so the whole ride has to be designed to function outside if any of it is outside. Not 24/7, but almost daily in FL, especially in the summer.

Chape19714

CHAPPS said:
So let me see if I've got this straight. Back when Everest was in soft openings and people were saying it was a disappointment, all I kept reading on these boards was that "It's in test mode." and "It will get better." and "Don't judge it until it's officially open." Now that it IS officially open, it seems like it hasn't actually gained any new effects or improvements, but instead it's LOST some, not to mentioned the ones that it's kept seem to have a tendency to break down a lot. What gives?? I thought this was supposed to be a cutting edge attraction. It seems like things keep breaking and it's barely a few months old.
Not correct, many effects have been improved since soft opening. Besides, 99% enjoyed the previews, however it's the 1% who complained you heard about.

wdwishes2005

I don't care if it usually won't have an adverse effect, if there is a reasonable chance the sensors could get screwed up, I would rather not have the mist......

AndyMagic

Chape19714 said:
Not correct, many effects have been improved since soft opening.

Really? Please enlighten me because I rode during previews and just got back from riding it on vacation a few days ago and I'd beg to differ. The fact that people get excited when a puff of smoke comes out of the train when it enters the station is a testament to just how few effects there are on this thing. If it had more, people wouldn't be so upset when mist fails to work. The fact of the matter is that there shouldn't be more FX on Winnie the Pooh than on a 100 million dollar blockbuster attraction and the ride itself should certainly not be outdone by its much older cousin Big Thunder Mountain. Sadly, both of what I said is true.

Chape19714

AndyMagic said:
Really? Please enlighten me because I rode during previews and just got back from riding it on vacation a few days ago and I'd beg to differ. The fact that people get excited when a puff of smoke comes out of the train when it enters the station is a testament to just how few effects there are on this thing. If it had more, people wouldn't be so upset when mist fails to work. The fact of the matter is that there shouldn't be more FX on Winnie the Pooh than on a 100 million dollar blockbuster attraction and the ride itself should certainly not be outdone by its much older cousin Big Thunder Mountain. Sadly, both of what I said is true.
First off, please lighten your tone, I did not post to offend anyone, but your paragraph comes off as very rude to me. If you did not intend it to be, than I am sorry. For instance, many of the holes that allowed light into the backwards segment have been patched, while some still exist, it is not as bad as it was. Waterfalls are now fully working, the queue is being used to it's fullest potential, and the on-ride photo system is now operational. Big Thunder Mountain RR is a great attraction, no doubt, but is clearly the predecessor (sp?) of Everest. Everst has so much more attention to detail, it's no contest. Everest also has a multi-million dollar Animontronic Yeti, which no thrill attraction can even begin to rival, except for Splash Mountain by sheer quanity of AA's, and Dinosaur. Everest has also seen improvements in it's crowd control techinques since the soft openings. I know this is not a huge effect, but is vital to the success of a particular attraction.

Everest is a extremely complex city of programming, arcitecture, engeneering, sensors, innerstructure, and MUCH more, including several new technologies, far more complex than 99% will even begin to understand. And yes, I'm definately in that 99% of people. John Rhode and his fellow imagineers are the 1% I speek of. The Mist not working is a minor issue, and besides they are working on a solution.

That being said, everyone is entitled to thier own opinion, but please review the facts to make it an educated one! Not to offend anyone...just a thought.

AndyMagic

Chape19714 said:
First off, please lighten your tone, I did not post to offend anyone, but your paragraph comes off as very rude to me. If you did not intend it to be, than I am sorry. For instance, many of the holes that allowed light into the backwards segment have been patched, while some still exist, it is not as bad as it was. Waterfalls are now fully working, the queue is being used to it's fullest potential, and the on-ride photo system is now operational. Big Thunder Mountain RR is a great attraction, no doubt, but is clearly the predecessor (sp?) of Everest. Everst has so much more attention to detail, it's no contest. Everest also has a multi-million dollar Animontronic Yeti, which no thrill attraction can even begin to rival, except for Splash Mountain by sheer quanity of AA's, and Dinosaur. Everest has also seen improvements in it's crowd control techinques since the soft openings. I know this is not a huge effect, but is vital to the success of a particular attraction.

Everest is a extremely complex city of programming, arcitecture, engeneering, sensors, innerstructure, and MUCH more, including several new technologies, far more complex than 99% will even begin to understand. And yes, I'm definately in that 99% of people. John Rhode and his fellow imagineers are the 1% I speek of. The Mist not working is a minor issue, and besides they are working on a solution.

That being said, everyone is entitled to thier own opinion, but please review the facts to make it an educated one! Not to offend anyone...just a thought.

Not sure how you misunderstood my post to be rude but regardless, I did not intend it to be. I genuinly wanted to know what has improved. Sadly, I did review the facts before my post and I don't think patching a light hole or getting the on-ride photo working could be considered a large improvement. They just got something working that was planned in the first place. I honestly felt my last ride was brighter on the inside than during the previews and others have felt the same in this thread. Also, there is nothing particularly complex about Everest. Disney can spin their marketing all they want but nothing besides the sophisticated AA is at all sophisticated or new. The ride system is gravity based like any other non-launched coaster. The fact that it travels both forward and backwards has been done many times before. And I don't think anyone considers a TV screen showing a shadow or a bird on a stick all that groundbreaking either. The amazing part about Everest is the stunning grounds, queue, and mountain itself. All of that is a true work of art. The ride itself is second rate at best.

CHAPPS

Account Suspended
Chape19714 said:

I don't think there was anything rude about his post. He was just genuinely asking you to explain what you meant. I have to admit, I would be curious too to know how you back up some of these claims. For instance, how can you possibly say that Everest has more attention to detail than Big Thunder? Please provide some examples, because I just don't see it. Admittedly, I didn't ride it during soft openings, only afterward. But during that time, I recall reading on these boards and others, how people kept saying, "Wait until it's officially open before judging it." "They aren't finished with it yet." and "Remember, it's still in soft opening mode." Wow now the soft openings are long over, and I just don't see any of the improvements that everyone was assured would happen. (Adding the on-ride photo, for example, is not what I would categorize as an "improvement" to the attraction.) It seems like more has been taken away than added.

Chape19714

I understand your opinions, but I stand by my previous post. There are lots of little things about Everest that go unnoticed. Like I said few will ever understand all of it. For instance the Anti-Rollback device, how they got it to be silent, as opposed to Thunder Mountain? And the previously mentioned switch tracks, which were created just for Everest. I am sorry that people don't feel this is an amazing ride, but I most definately do. Attention to detail is throught, however, I will agree that Thunder MT. has more to look at, because of the theme of the Old West. On Everest, you encounter very little human life, or animal for that matter, it's just the vastly different storylines, which share the theme of "runaway train."

AndyMagic, I am very sorry I viewed that as rude, as I now understand it was not ment to be.

AndyMagic

Chape19714 said:
I understand your opinions, but I stand by my previous post. There are lots of little things about Everest that go unnoticed. Like I said few will ever understand all of it. For instance the Anti-Rollback device, how they got it to be silent, as opposed to Thunder Mountain? And the previously mentioned switch tracks, which were created just for Everest. I am sorry that people don't feel this is an amazing ride, but I most definately do. Attention to detail is throught, however, I will agree that Thunder MT. has more to look at, because of the theme of the Old West. On Everest, you encounter very little human life, or animal for that matter, it's just the vastly different storylines, which share the theme of "runaway train."

AndyMagic, I am very sorry I viewed that as rude, as I now understand it was not ment to be.

Don't worry about it. Sometimes I can come off as sarcastic. I think a lot of what it boils down to is expectations. I don't think anyone could say Everest is a bad ride. I just question whether or not the huge cost justified the ending experience. Also what makes the ride even more frustrating is that the potential is there for it to be so much more. As for the little things that go unnoticed, that's the problem... they go unnoticed. In the end the technology behind the ride isn't relevant, it is the experience the ride delivers. Having little things like no clickety clack up the hill is great and it is what sets WDI apart from the rest but I'd rather have a clickety clack if it means more money could be put elsewhere like actual show scenes. The queue is amazing and I think it is worth riding just for the details in there but like Kali, which also has a jaw-dropping queue, I find the ride experience lacking when compared to most other E-tickets at Disney.

disnyfan89

AndyMagic said:
Winne the Pooh- Built inside of a preexisting building!

Everest- 2 new building structures, one new walk way, one new bathroom, one new que building, one roller coaster, one huge mountain facade, and one state of the art yeti.

Mountain structure, yeti structure, and roller coaster can't touch each other.

Oh ya! Everest with its few affects should defiantly be cheaper.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom