Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

EPCOT Explorer

From reading this thread, stale would equal "the Epcot we have doesn't match the Epcot in my mind".

Threads like these remind me that there is a small percentage of the fan base that is in love with the idea of Epcot more than the actual park. So much so that they lose that sight that the "idea" Epcot is marketing and a mutated commercialization of one of Walt's final dreams.

For the millionth time...:lol::lol:

We know EPCOT is something that is used for profit, and profit solely. It's not to showcase a worldly and optimistic call to arms and optimism.

However, when it DID do these things, under it's original aim's, themes and ideas it worked so much better.

I agree. It's not stale. It's purpose and story telling is lost. Each pavilion used to tell a story, and each one of those stories had elements that worked in the other pavilions.....to a certain degree.
Exactly. Making it stale.

It's not a cohesive park anymore, it's just a series of random, but fun rides/shows.

A lot of people bash TT but it actually works. It is the only one out of the 4 you mentioned that actually fits the learning theme of EPCOT. TT may not teach you about the history of transportation anymore like WoM, but it certatinly teaches about how the car industry deals with safety and product testing. .
Good point. It works perfectly for Discoverland.

But this is Future World! We need that futurism! The optimism that the old EPCOT gave was certainly there, why can't it be in TT too?:)
Ah, well then don't forget to add Honey, I Shrunk the Audience.

If you want to go old school, Body Wars was wrong on so many levels it could be considered anti-educational.

Other than those additions, I think you are dead on.
Body Wars was wrong, if you look at it alone.

However, put it in context with the rest of WoL, and it's the Entertainment part while the rest Informs and Inspires.

Equate it to Soarin, over in TL.

disneykw

But this is Future World! We need that futurism! The optimism that the old EPCOT gave was certainly there, why can't it be in TT too?:)

They should definitely do something about the TT post-show. They could do something to showcase alternative vehicle concepts, but instead decided to throw in a GM car showcase to please the sponsor. All we have now is that one future car that looks a bit too far-fetched for the time being and a newly replaced exhibit that everyone still seems to walk past. They really need something to grab the guests attention on alt energy cars since it is the way of the future. For example, how many people here knows there's a car already out that runs on air? Sure it's only available in India for the time being but I could see it being worked on further and being possible in the near future. Now, that's what I'm saving my money up and waiting for.:D

EPCOT Explorer

They should definitely do something about the TT post-show. They could do something to showcase alternative vehicle concepts, but instead decided to throw in a GM car showcase to please the sponsor. All we have now is that one future car that looks a bit too far-fetched for the time being and a newly replaced exhibit that everyone still seems to walk past. They really need something to grab the guests attention on alt energy cars since it is the way of the future. For example, how many people here knows there's a car already out that runs on air? Sure it's only available in India for the time being but I could see it being worked on further and being possible in the near future. Now, that's what I'm saving my money up and waiting for.:D

Heck, integrate it on the show.:shrug: I think the post show has to be commercial. It's good advertising, and probably mandated by the company.

What you mentioned however, once existed, in the Transcenter.;)

disneykw

Heck, integrate it on the show.:shrug: I think the post show has to be commercial. It's good advertising, and probably mandated by the company.

What you mentioned however, once existed, in the Transcenter.;)

Hmmm... I don't know how much of it can be integrated into the ride as the newest alt energy cars are supposed to look and ride like regular gas cars, with the improved gas mileage. Now, in terms of story, if they brought in a "new fleet" of alt energy cars to test and the video monitor in car displayed the gas savings and energy regeneration meters just like the real-life counterparts have, that'd be not only neat but good for GM in terms of advertising, good for Disney due to keeping with environmentality, and won't affect the main show much. It'd benefit all.:D

EPCOT Explorer

Hmmm... I don't know how much of it can be integrated into the ride as the newest alt energy cars are supposed to look and ride like regular gas cars, with the improved gas mileage. Now, in terms of story, if they brought in a "new fleet" of alt energy cars to test and the video monitor in car displayed the gas savings and energy regeneration meters just like the real-life counterparts have, that'd be not only neat but good for GM in terms of advertising, good for Disney due to keeping with environmentality, and won't affect the main show much. It'd benefit all.:D
Exactly!...Changing up a few scenes would benefit the ride too.

jt04

It's quite nice.

Like taking the concepts of WESTcot and the Mira Costa over to WDW. Very interesting, but why does it have to be DVC?

He is the guy that came up with the idea of a hotel at the entrance to DLP. He was able to get it approved when it was shown it would pay for itself and make a ton of profit. I guess he learned that lesson. And DVC's are not exclusive to DVC members so anyone could stay there IF they could get a reservation. I think it would be full though most of the time if they didn't overbuild it. It would be the pefect place to begin to roll out the RFID technology to guests on a test basis. Sky is the limit for that technology.

EPCOT Explorer

He is the guy that came up with the idea of a hotel at the entrance to DLP. He was able to get it approved when it was shown it would pay for itself and make a ton of profit. I guess he learned that lesson. And DVC's are not exclusive to DVC members so anyone could stay there IF they could get a reservation. I think it would be full though most of the time if they didn't overbuild it. It would be the pefect place to begin to roll out the RFID technology to guests on a test basis. Sky is the limit for that technology.

Ah...Makes sense.:D And yes, sky is the limit! Hope they push it...;)

jakeman

For the millionth time...:lol::lol:

We know EPCOT is something that is used for profit, and profit solely. It's not to showcase a worldly and optimistic call to arms and optimism.

However, when it DID do these things, under it's original aim's, themes and ideas it worked so much better.
It never did the things you wanted it to. It always has been and always will be marketing.

You are one of the few that bought into the marketing campaign from ages ago and have decided it was real movement.

EPCOT Explorer said:

However, put it in context with the rest of WoL, and it's the Entertainment part while the rest Informs and Inspires.

Equate it to Soarin, over in TL.
So the message of EPCOT Center is that it's okay to misinform as long as there is a little truth in there? I know it sounds harsh, but that was essentially Body Wars.

You can't pick and choose what needs to be factual. Just to be clear, I'm not talking about the sci-fi element of it. I'm talking about things they got wrong with basic body systems.

Oh and I give you a hard time because you can take it! :ROFLOL:

EPCOT Explorer

It never did the things you wanted it to. It always has been and always will be marketing.

You are one of the few that bought into the marketing campaign from ages ago and have decided it was real movement.

So the message of EPCOT Center is that it's okay to misinform as long as there is a little truth in there? I know it sounds harsh, but that was essentially Body Wars.

You can't pick and choose what needs to be factual. Just to be clear, I'm not talking about the sci-fi element of it. I'm talking about things they got wrong with basic body systems.

Well, if marketing is it, it's it. Bring back that too if it provided for a direction and mindset for EPCOT.

But it's much more that that too, it's the actual productions in the park, too.

And I'm not picking and choosing. You did that when you seperated DW from the rest of WoL.-which was the Entertainment part of the Pav. It's bound to have some inaccuracies as it was fantasy based, but if it does it's job, it does it's job. The rest of the Pav was informative, inspiring and worked.

Like I said, is Soarin perfect over in TL? Nope, but it's entertaining, full of loopholes, and works as well.:lol:

jakeman

Well, if marketing is it, it's it. Bring back that too if it provided for a direction and mindset for EPCOT.
That was a business model that didn't work though.

But it's much more that that too, it's the actual productions in the park, too.

And I'm not picking and choosing. You did that when you seperated DW from the rest of WoL.-which was the Entertainment part of the Pav. It's bound to have some inaccuracies as it was fantasy based, but if it does it's job, it does it's job. The rest of the Pav was informative, inspiring and worked.

Like I said, is Soarin perfect over in TL? Nope, but it's entertaining, full of loopholes, and works as well.:lol:
Just because it is the entertainment portion of the park doesn't absolve it of factual resposibility if its true purpose is to educate.

EPCOT Explorer

That was a business model that didn't work though.

Just because it is the entertainment portion of the park doesn't absolve it of factual resposibility if its true purpose is to educate.

In part because it was outdated, yes. They failed to update it (Early 90's!) and in the end just changed it.

They could have altered it, so that it reflected the old ideas for the park with the new. For the record, I think Epcot'94 attempted and executed this quite well, but they let it go uot of control.

And that last statement!:lol::sohappy: Jake! You are being a worse Fanboy than I:D Congrats.

jakeman

In part because it was outdated, yes. They failed to update it (Early 90's!) and in the end just changed it.

They could have altered it, so that it reflected the old ideas for the park with the new. For the record, I think Epcot'94 attempted and executed this quite well, but they let it go uot of control.

And that last statement!:lol::sohappy: Jake! You are being a worse Fanboy than I:D Congrats.
I think you and I are probably closer in thought than we like to think! :wave:

PhilharMagician

Good point. It works perfectly for Discoverland.

You are right, the problem is that the only futurism currently in the park is MS. Maybe it is time to change the name. :eek:

DisneyCane

For example, how many people here knows there's a car already out that runs on air? Sure it's only available in India for the time being but I could see it being worked on further and being possible in the near future. Now, that's what I'm saving my money up and waiting for.:D

There is no car that "runs on" air. There is a car that is propelled by COMPRESSED air. There is a big difference. It takes energy to compress the air into tanks on the car. So as is the case with all other "zero emissions" vehicles, there are emissions somewhere just not out of the tail pipe. This is not any type of future technology that should be showcased. I had toy plastic rockets when I was a kid that worked just like this. You put in water and then pumped it up with air and released the water and it launched. This was 20+ years ago.

disneykw

There is no car that "runs on" air. There is a car that is propelled by COMPRESSED air. There is a big difference. It takes energy to compress the air into tanks on the car. So as is the case with all other "zero emissions" vehicles, there are emissions somewhere just not out of the tail pipe. This is not any type of future technology that should be showcased. I had toy plastic rockets when I was a kid that worked just like this. You put in water and then pumped it up with air and released the water and it launched. This was 20+ years ago.

Yes, I know what it runs on and that is what I meant. I never said it takes zero energy to run, it's in the same class as a plug-in hybrid in that it takes energy from the grid. However, I remain optimistic that at some point, I'm sure not right away, but that we'll see a way to be able to recharge the cars while driving down the highway. Granted I'm not an electrical engineer, but say something like the wind hitting your car while driving 65 on the highway can spin a wind turbine in your car that generates the electricity to compress air as you drive. It is still definitely a car still in deep research, but I think it'd be an awesome idea. Call me a dreamer, hell I don't care.

WDW1974

The problem is that too many Imagineers that thought BIG like Eddie are no longer with the company.

Eddie sees EPCOT for what it was, is and could/should be.

Most of the WDI staff who work on it are more than content with basic show buildings with 2-3 minute thrill rides, film-based attractions and tossing characters into environments as a cheap fix.

EPCOT Center for its first 10-15 years was awe-inspiring in scope, but then they went cheap. The result is a mish-mash of FW and a largely unchanged WS.

Compare the scope of the original pavilions with their replacements ... oh wait, we've had this discussion 6,976 times already.

Just one other comment about Eddie ... a while ago he posted on another fan site (not under his name and I have no intention of outing him here) and it would be great if he offered his thoughts here even if they came from just some anonymous poster. The man knows his stuff. Very talented.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Who me?

Thanks for the kind words. It's fun to see the interview take on a discussion of it's own. I'm content to sit on the sidelines and just read all the posts. As for posting on another site, I have no idea what you are talking about ;-) If it's www.themedattraction.com I just did four interviews for them, I think the third is up now. Cures insomnia.

I read from time to time people asking why I'm not back at (or why I quit) WDI. First off, they have to want to hire you. Second, we all have our time in the sun. I had my "time" there to do my best, in success and failure, but truly cherished the honor and privilege to try to "open new doors" and extend Walt's legacy with creativity and respect. So now it's the next Gen's well deserved turn, so don't be too hard on them.

So now I'm on my second life and it's kinda fun. Our design studio got involved in a Restaurant in downtown LA and I'm one of the owners. The only "new door" is the one I'm opening to welcome the dinner crowd. The other design work we do is really fresh and if things get tough we can drink the profits! If I'm in the Restaurant come by and say hello.

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2009/02/imagineers-second-life_181.html

Inside Disney or not, "Imagineering" is a "state of mind" or lifestyle that anyone can use to help overcome adversity. Living the impossible can be fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom