Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

AEfx

Sometimes I'd play the Batman theme and race to that with my friends as it has the sound effects of the Batmobile in there too.

LOL you too? I just did that the other week. :) I know just the track you are talking about, too, 'cause it has the sound effects as well.

Makes me think how amazing a Batman dark ride could be if only SF didn't have the rights to the franchise.

Disneyparksgeek

Makes me think how amazing a Batman dark ride could be if only SF didn't have the rights to the franchise.
If Disney gets Universal to sell the Marvel rights back to Disney, DC Comics are the biggest rumor. And the big rumor there is Batman replacing the Spiderman ride, which would be really neat.

AEfx

If Disney gets Universal to sell the Marvel rights back to Disney, DC Comics are the biggest rumor. And the big rumor there is Batman replacing the Spiderman ride, which would be really neat.

It would be amazing (though I assume Transformers will replace Spidey), but Warners/DC/SF are all sorts of tied together. I don't know what the current legal status is (I know the ownership stuff has changed) but I'd be very surprised if it actually ever happened.

Again, however, it would be amazing if it did. :)

Disneyparksgeek

It would be amazing (though I assume Transformers will replace Spidey), but Warners/DC/SF are all sorts of tied together. I don't know what the current legal status is (I know the ownership stuff has changed) but I'd be very surprised if it actually ever happened.

Again, however, it would be amazing if it did. :)
It would be amazing. It could happen since the only Six Flags park close to there is Six Flags over Georgia. So they could secure the rights. Actually I heard that Six Flags has to pay per park for the licenses and it doesn't have a franchise wide license, so maybe its easier to get the rights than we think.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
LOL you too? I just did that the other week. :) I know just the track you are talking about, too, 'cause it has the sound effects as well.

Scary isn't it. and they thought texting while driving was dangerous.

lazyboy97o

True. I'd imagine the Disney Company has the exclusive management contract of some sort with EDSCA, so they run the park and are responsible keep it safe regardless as a vendor or partner to the ED SCA. I recall as an Imagineer I was still paid by the WDC but probably billed to the entity in France. They had to pay French taxes for me. Having said that, safety is still has to be the number one priority for any company.
A Société en Commandite par Actions (SCA) is actually a specific type of French partnership. It breaks ownership into general partners who are responsible for management and limited partners who are responsible for debts. Because the general partners and management power are defined at the time of incorporation, there is no need for the general partners to maintain a majority stake in the company. The shareholders get a say in the form of a supervisory council, not like we know in which they actually vote on the upper management. The Walt Disney Company is the general partner in Euro Disney SCA, so they get to form and control the management of the company.

The SCA was also chosen to dilute non-French ownership of Euro Disney SCA, a means of allowing the French to more directly benefit from the significant investments of the French government into the project.

KevinYee

That's what we did and had something that kids saw as the fresh hip sound they associate with "Pulp Fiction", and Dad saw it as retro surf " D. Dale and the Deltones". So in a way, it was something that was organic to me, but at the same time it responds to the audience in different ways and you plan for that.

Let's not be modest. That was YOUR voice saying "We have liftoff" as the surf guitar music kicked into gear!! :)

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
A Société en Commandite par Actions (SCA) is actually a specific type of French partnership. It breaks ownership into general partners who are responsible for management and limited partners who are responsible for debts. Because the general partners and management power are defined at the time of incorporation, there is no need for the general partners to maintain a majority stake in the company. The shareholders get a say in the form of a supervisory council, not like we know in which they actually vote on the upper management. The Walt Disney Company is the general partner in Euro Disney SCA, so they get to form and control the management of the company.

The SCA was also chosen to dilute non-French ownership of Euro Disney SCA, a means of allowing the French to more directly benefit from the significant investments of the French government into the project.

Thank you for the detail. The point here is that the WDC is responsible as a general partner in charge of operations for happens out there even if that means they are at a disadvantage by being part of another company.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Let's not be modest. That was YOUR voice saying "We have liftoff" as the surf guitar music kicked into gear!! :)

Ok. Busted. "We have ignition" was me. That idea came from the "To the Batmobile" track too, as he says "Atomic batteries to power, turbines to speed, ready to move out!" just before the tires scream and the rocket blasts. love that thing. Will have to burn a copy and do it again! I loved that TV show as a kid, especially the car. Holy deep childhood impression! Today Julie Newmar lives nearby in LA. While walking the "Bat-Dog" one morning, I was shocked to see "Catwoman" gardening in the front yard!

So to answer the question that began the Space Mountain story, yes, these things do come out of what you would like to see to a degree. If not the assignment itself, the path to the solution or content.

Here's a download link to that out of print album for those who want to recreate the fun themselves!

http://childrensrecordsandmore.blogspot.com/2007/09/batman-1966-tv-soundtrack-lp-plus-5.html

BTW- "Credit where Due" Department...The idea for on-board audio on that ride belongs to Imagineer Tom Morris who had been pushing to do it for many years, but reliable technology did not exist. He used to bring a Cassette walkman onto the ride! Morris and I have been good friends for more than 20 years, so when the Fedex contract came along with some money to enhance the ride, Tom's idea found it's time although the technology was STILL not reliable as the system broke down alot due to static electricity and vibration. Imagineer/Arranger Aarin Richard was the producer for the synth aspects of the track.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Stark Expo.

I read a rumor that a "Stark Expo" attraction of some kind may end up in the Innoventions building at DL. "Iron Man" at DL? Ok for Tomorrowland? What do you think?

Here's the site from the movie. A NYWF/Disney inspiration for sure.

http://www.starkexpo2010.com/

(I liked those Movies!)

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I read a rumor that a "Stark Expo" attraction of some kind may end up in the Innoventions building at DL. "Iron Man" at DL? Ok for Tomorrowland? What do you think?

(I liked those Movies!)

Very Interesting...

I like the idea behind Stark Expo. Bettering the world through technology is a noble goal, and a very "Walt" idea. So I love using that as theme at DL. The part I am not totally in love with is having to tie the attraction to Marvel/Ironman. However, if that tie in is the driving force behind getting a nice attraction or exhibit touting new tech, then that is ok.

On a side note, Stark Expo '10 in the film is heavily inspired by the 1964 Worlds Fair. Which as we know was a very Disney affair. Walt used it to get financing to develop new tech and create classic attractions for us. Here is quote from John FArvue talking about that "like we did in Iron Man 2 with the Stark Expo and the World’s Fair in Flushing Meadows Park. __We started to sit scratch the surface with that one and I think there’s a fun nostalgic to it." It is cool that Disney will have inspired the movie, which in turn inspired Disney.

FYI: Using my IPad to type out this post so excuse any typos. Still getting the hang of the keyboard.

Missing20K

Catching up a bit here, I can only seem to give this thread the time it deserves about once a week, so please forgive the length. I was asked to bring something to the table by Eddie, I tried to bring a few, so here goes.

Here is the wording on the page "BA/BS in theater, film, design, or entertainment preferred"
Not sure if I should do Film or theater since they are both useful. Cannot do design since I could not draw well even if I had a gun pointed at my head. Probably should still minor in English/writing since I still would like to do some Show Writing. It's a relief seeing what they actually want rather than me guessing what they would want

If you have the determination and the inclination, drawing is like any other activity, it takes lots of practice. LOTS. However, if you do want to improve your drawing skills vastly (as well as your "seeing" skills, being able to accurately see how an object appears to your eyes, not how it appears in your brain and minds eye) I highly recommend a book titled "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain". It's stated purpose is to teach drawing to people who don't think they can draw. It is the best drawing instruction book I have come across.

As I said I'm a bit behind so forgive me, but I had a couple questions about the main street topic. Watching "A trip down Market Street before the fire" clip, I couldn't help but notice, for obvious reasons, the lack of sound. It made me wonder how much thought is put into the "sounds" design of a project, but particularly main street. How successful any immersive design can be, seems almost elementally tied to the sights, sounds, and smells of the environment. The sights, to a guest, would seem to be the element most actively "noticed" while sounds and smells are far more unconsious and contribute to the "feel" and "realness" of the place. As has been researched extensively, smell is tied directly to memories in the brain. I am interested to hear any thoughts or stories you may have on the design of the more unconcious elements that are so integral to the experience the guest takes away.

Second question on the MS topic is only slightly more brief. I think I may recall you speaking of trying out different ideas on the Paris MS, the 20's, 1890's. Was there ever discussion of other time periods? I always thought the 1935-1945 was interesting as well as a very "American" period of time. Granted you would need to glaze over the Depression, but like you said, if Walt could make piracy and "cowboys/indians" non-violent and family friendly. Also, and I realize it would interfere with "Frontierland" or "Liberty Square" I thought the late 1700's/early 1800's could lend itself extremely well to a MS concept.

Tough to hear about the story with Ward. Speaking from personal experience, I have had an occassion (or two) of being brushed aside by a senior designer/professor/artist, and it was quite disheartening, especially when contrasted by those who have encouraged me and helped my talent flourish. Takes all kinds I guess...:shrug:

Lastly, to help contribute and bring something pretty neat (or so I think), a link to the weburbanist blog (highly recommended for anyone interested in design and other nerdy design things) on an article containing some very enticing and wild theme park designs and concepts that are/were in the works around the world. Enjoy!! http://weburbanist.com/2011/04/29/wild-rides-12-theme-park-coaster-concepts/ Be sure to read to the end, not sure I would go on that coaster! :lol:

lazyboy97o

(I liked those Movies!)
I liked the films as well and do believe that the spirit of the Stark Expos is very similar to the original spirit of Tomorrowland, but it makes me ask why we need the lens of the Iron Man film series. Why not just do a sincere, hopeful look at the future without wrapping it in a fictionalized version of Tomorrowland and its builder?

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I liked the films as well and do believe that the spirit of the Stark Expos is very similar to the original spirit of Tomorrowland, but it makes me ask why we need the lens of the Iron Man film series. Why not just do a sincere, hopeful look at the future without wrapping it in a fictionalized version of Tomorrowland and its builder?

Probably because they need to find ways to justify paying all of that dough for Marvel.

AEfx

(I liked those Movies!)

I really don't have an issue with it at all.

I don't see Marvel as any different than Pixar - an acquisition that Disney made that is now part of the "family".

Unless they replace Tinkerbell in the fireworks with Spiderman, I'm OK with it. ;)

RSoxNo1

I really don't have an issue with it at all.

I don't see Marvel as any different than Pixar - an acquisition that Disney made that is now part of the "family".

Unless they replace Tinkerbell in the fireworks with Spiderman, I'm OK with it. ;)

I feel that Marvel has more of an adult slant than Pixar does. Having said that, I think that Hollywood Studios should be the home to these partnerships: Muppets, Pixar, Lucas, Marvel.

If that park was to be re-designed from scratch I'd want distinct "studios" for each of these properties.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I feel that Marvel has more of an adult slant than Pixar does. Having said that, I think that Hollywood Studios should be the home to these partnerships: Muppets, Pixar, Lucas, Marvel.

If that park was to be re-designed from scratch I'd want distinct "studios" for each of these properties.

Agree. Put all of the miscellany in the DHS and don't pollute the family aspect of the MK. It's too bad that WDA has nothing recent to put in the attraction pipeline then you could justify putting Pixar elsewhere. Other then marketing tie ins, with "Princess and the Frog" or "Tangled" (live stuff), there is little that can be a permanent part of the DL legacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom