Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks (Part II)

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Like wow.

Can you believe we are already at 80 pages and 120,000 views on the Part II thread? Add that to the 353 pages and the million plus views from Part I, and we're ending the year right! Thanks for all your great questions and commentary, you've made this thread one of the most the widely read discussions on any Disney board.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Similar experience occurred to another student this semester in my architecture studio. Unfortunately for the person who was critiqued, the reviewer was scathing rather than joking and found out afterward about the student's color blindness. Awkward for all involved.:lol:

I'll say. That's too bad. Even a color blind person can work in a world on contrasting complexity of shades of gray.

It's rather strange as color, at least at my architecture school was only focused on for about the first semester of the program. After that it's all about form and materiality (and presentation). It would be nice for these schools focus on color a little more. The need for white modern buildings is only so great.

It is interesting to note that the creation that inspires man is full of and driven by Color. How could you even think of design without first thinking in terms of color or considering it in the ideation process? Engineering is different of course, as you are trying to be structural and schematic. Visual art that drives emotion is different. Architecture is replacing nature by covering the ground, so IMO it must justify it's replacement of the forest or whatever it is taking the place of. That's why parking lots in place of farmland are so offensive to some.The true masterpieces like Sunrises and sunsets, patterns on animals, and the sheer variety of leaf colors tied to their distinct shapes and patterns just emphasizes how much of a role color plays in design and emotion. The fact that we have seasonal color in nature makes the point emphatically.

Horizonsfan

Can you believe we are already at 80 pages and 120,000 views on the Part II thread? Add that to the 353 pages and the million plus views from Part I, and we're ending the year right! Thanks for all your great questions and commentary, you've made this thread one of the most the widely read discussions on any Disney board.

Thanks again Eddie for giving all of us such a great read all year long! By far the most informative and fun thread on here. :wave:

lazyboy97o

It is interesting to note that the creation that inspires man is full of and driven by Color. How could you even think of design without first thinking in terms of color or considering it in the ideation process? Engineering is different of course, as you are trying to be structural and schematic. Visual art that drives emotion is different. Architecture is replacing nature by covering the ground, so IMO it must justify it's replacement of the forest or whatever it is taking the place of. That's why parking lots in place of farmland are so offensive to some.The true masterpieces like Sunrises and sunsets, patterns on animals, and the sheer variety of leaf colors tied to their distinct shapes and patterns just emphasizes how much of a role color plays in design and emotion. The fact that we have seasonal color in nature makes the point emphatically.
Modernism. (Seems to be my eternal boogey man.) Architecture was no longer so much about evoking a specific emotional reaction, and utilizing tried and testing means to do so was/is frowned upon. The maxims are "Form follows function," "Less is more," and "A machine for living." Machines do not need color, that is superfluous to their purpose. Architects wonders aloud why it seems as if the world wants nothing to do with them, why the public reacts so coldly (at best) to their work, and I think being devoid of emotion is a big part of that. If the building is apathetic, then why should its inhabitants not be apathetic to the building?

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Modernism. (Seems to be my eternal boogey man.) Architecture was no longer so much about evoking a specific emotional reaction, and utilizing tried and testing means to do so was/is frowned upon. The maxims are "Form follows function," "Less is more," and "A machine for living." Machines do not need color, that is superfluous to their purpose. Architects wonders aloud why it seems as if the world wants nothing to do with them, why the public reacts so coldly (at best) to their work, and I think being devoid of emotion is a big part of that. If the building is apathetic, then why should its inhabitants not be apathetic to the building?

Speaking of machines, Citrus Trees are self perpetuating, quiet food factories, each with their own "peel and eat" packaged products displayed in a way that you can "grab and go". The ripeness of the outer packaging is a natural freshness date color code! Most factories smell bad and pollute, these trees produce fragrance while they make the fruit. They even provide shade to enjoy their products and housing for animals and insects that pollenate them. All in living color. "Form follows function" in the most astoundingly efficient way and does so in beautiful color and texture, no two trees exactly alike. They engineer their branches in real time to resist wind, perform impossible cantilevers, and find sun. That's a "wow".

There are striking examples of architecture that people flock to see because of their unusual shape or design, but they are a tiny handful compared to how many dull examples there are in the world. The thing about modernism is that you've stripped away the manmade ornament in favor of pure function, meaning the ornament had none. A tree is heavily "ornamented" and textured with bark and leaves, yet all of that detail serves a grander functional purpose and for that reason is timeless.

dagobert

Happy New Year to everyone here!!

Sorry for being off topic, but I'be posted some comments here over the last weeks, but none of them is visible. I didn't write anything inappropriate.

Thanks!

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member

Sorry for being off topic, but I'be posted some comments here over the last weeks, but none of them is visible. I didn't write anything inappropriate.

Thanks!

I did not see anything from you either. Maybe the moderator rom the site knows something, you can PM them.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member

Thanks!

Welcome to the most awesome thread on any Disney board!!! :wave:

Did you quote URLs in your posts? Until you reach a certain post count, I do not believe that you can post URLs. I had a similar situation in this thread, and realized I was quoting the URLs. I notice that you only have 5 posts, so I would take a look at that.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I learn a lot for you guys as the questions and insights help me understand what's important. Good feedback is always welcome.

And conversely, you give us a different way to look at things that we might never have thought of. Wow, bad grammar, but I think you get the point. Thanks for being here, Eddie, and I hope you have a great year!! :D

lazyboy97o

Not to stray too far off topic, but I believe the issue is not color, but rather applied color. I think many architects view applied color as "decoration" and see "decoration" as being beneath them.
I would agree. What I think many of them fail to recognize is that choosing a specific material for its color, or texture, or context is still an act of decoration. Much more memorable experiences would be created if architects would just be honest with themselves and admit they are trying to create pretty spaces that people enjoy being within.

trs518

As someone who is color blind, I would say on a lower scale of color blindness, there are ways to work around it, if someone wanted to be a designer.

1. Know what colors you struggle with.
2. Stick to areas that you can succeed in. Fantasyland could be a struggle because of the many colors, while Adventureland (lots of green/brown) and Main Street (lots of white).
3. Find ways to help you bridge your deficiencies. Have someone who can help, carry small color samples so you can properly identify colors, etc.

WDW1974

[Derail]

Eddie, if you're a fan of Steve Jobs as well as Apple, you might be interested in the action figure:

http://gizmodo.com/5872483/this-new-steve-jobs-action-figure-is-so-good-its-freaky

I believe Eddie is a big fan of Jobs, but I have to say all the idolization of him and comparing him to Walt makes me uneasy because, quite frankly, he was a deeply flawed and, often, very nasty man. Just look at what it took his daughter for him to acknowledge he was her father. And the way he treated some of his business partners wasn't exactly Walt-like.

No doubt he had vision (and a lot of talented people working for him to make it happen). But some of us are a bit uncomfortable with placing him in an almost godlike state.

Not to derail your own derailment, Kev! :wave:

Scuttle

I believe Eddie is a big fan of Jobs, but I have to say all the idolization of him and comparing him to Walt makes me uneasy because, quite frankly, he was a deeply flawed and, often, very nasty man. Just look at what it took his daughter for him to acknowledge he was her father. And the way he treated some of his business partners wasn't exactly Walt-like.

No doubt he had vision (and a lot of talented people working for him to make it happen). But some of us are a bit uncomfortable with placing him in an almost godlike state.

Yep! Well said 74. He was no doubt an incredible visionary, but yes he was kind of an a##. I actually have a friend that works for the Apple development team as Tim calls it now. And they love their jobs now and say that Tim Cook is the best to work for. So as incredible a visionary as Steve was I honestly think the company is better hands with Tim. My buddy says working under Tim is the best thing to happen to the company for employees. So I dunno. All I know is that Apple employees are happier than ever now, so take it for what you want, but my buddy has been with Apple since 2004.

c-one

Frankly I think Steve Jobs gets put under a greater microscope because of his deification. CEOs of successful companies that aren't right prats are the exception, not the rule.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Steve Jobs. One more thing....

To be clear, I admire some of Steve Jobs qualities, such as his drive for perfection and quality, but certainly he, like all of us is very flawed in other ways. To me, it's best to look for the good in someone and try to emulate those qualities, versus setting the life of the person as an example.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom