Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks (Part II)

lazyboy97o

Mary Blair's beautiful murals actually still reside within Disneyland's Tomorrowland - they're still there, underneath the Star Tours and Space Mountain murals. Wish they would re-surface...and concerned about what will happen to her mural at The Contemporary.
Only parts. There was no care taken in preserving them and significant parts were ripped out.

Sharon&Susan

Mary Blair's beautiful murals actually still reside within Disneyland's Tomorrowland - they're still there, underneath the Star Tours and Space Mountain murals. Wish they would re-surface...and concerned about what will happen to her mural at The Contemporary.
Only parts. There was no care taken in preserving them and significant parts were ripped out.

As I understand it, the northside (Buzz building) mural is in better shape with most of it still being hidden behind a wall placed in front of it.

I didn't know you worked with DeCuir. Did you know his son? Didn't he also work for Disney?

And way cool about Herbie teaching John! I didn't know that!

This thread makes me tear up. I am DeCuir Sr.'s grandson (and Jr's son) -- yes, dad worked for Disney as well - he designed Spaceship Earth and Epcot along with Marty Sklar and John Hench - along with many other attractions and resorts.

It is not unreasonable to say that my grandfather - DeCuir Sr - was an artistic genius, bar none. High claim, yes, but I think Eddie would agree this might actually be an understatement. And dad is no slouch either - his imprint on Disney history is arguably larger than my grandfather's.

Eddie, it's good to see you here - you are as impactful here as any of my relatives, so I am grateful beyond words you are carrying on the memory.

Happy to answer questions for anyone (or convey them to dear old dad - he's pushing 81 but he's still doing well!)

Figments Friend

This thread makes me tear up. I am DeCuir Sr.'s grandson (and Jr's son) -- yes, dad worked for Disney as well - he designed Spaceship Earth and Epcot along with Marty Sklar and John Hench - along with many other attractions and resorts.

It is not unreasonable to say that my grandfather - DeCuir Sr - was an artistic genius, bar none. High claim, yes, but I think Eddie would agree this might actually be an understatement. And dad is no slouch either - his imprint on Disney history is arguably larger than my grandfather's.

Eddie, it's good to see you here - you are as impactful here as any of my relatives, so I am grateful beyond words you are carrying on the memory.

Happy to answer questions for anyone (or convey them to dear old dad - he's pushing 81 but he's still doing well!)

Welcome to the Forum!
Nice to have you here.

:)

-

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member

Unfortunately, Eddie stopped posting here a few years ago, though very occasionally, he does surprise us.

dtng2000

I think it's the truth, as guests associate railway stations with places having core guest services. When I worked at Disneyland, some guests would let their kids urinate in the planters in plain sight and or practically anywhere. My friend told me a story about a mother holding her kid up to use the box of War Canoe Paddles as a toilet! Guests are desperate at those moments. MSUSA in DLP has more restrooms than any other MS BTW. They are in the Arcades.

Live Steam is why you build the trains in the first place. They were done to be as authentic as possible right down to the colors. The type of fuel is less material to me as it's unreasonably unhealthy and dirty to use coal or wood. You could not do that in a theme park. I'd leave that to historic trains that only run twice a day. The chugging, puffing and hissing of real live Steam is part of the bygone era of Main Street at it's best. Steam power humanizes the machine with an uncanny "breath of life" that cannot be duplicated with sound effects and smoke machines. Anything else is "Margarine".

One bit of potential confusion in the story is that Severn Lamb of England built the 4 trains. In fact, they built the Eureka (Number 4) and the MS Streetcars and some of the vehicles. Phillips Engineering in Wales built the first three Trains and Coaches.
I know that the Severn Lamb locomotive is the only locomotive that received replica Baldwin builder plates with the serial number 14358. Were the Hugh Phillips locomotives supposed to have these as well? Instead I see APPAVE numbers on the side of those, as well as on the Severn Lamb engine (still trying to figure out what APPAVE means). Disneyland Paris's trains btw are phenomenal and I hope to ride them one day.

As for Hong Kong, I heard that emission standards are the reason why they use diesel locomotives that look like steam, although I also see it as a budget issue. At Walt Disney World, they also use diesel locomotives to look like steamers, but that’s out of concern for the animals. BTW if anyone knows what the HK train serial numbers and/or pics of their builder plates I’d be happy to know what they look like.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I know that the Severn Lamb locomotive is the only locomotive that received replica Baldwin builder plates with the serial number 14358. Were the Hugh Phillips locomotives supposed to have these as well? Instead I see APPAVE numbers on the side of those, as well as on the Severn Lamb engine (still trying to figure out what APPAVE means). Disneyland Paris's trains btw are phenomenal and I hope to ride them one day.

As for Hong Kong, I heard that emission standards are the reason why they use diesel locomotives that look like steam, although I also see it as a budget issue. At Walt Disney World, they also use diesel locomotives to look like steamers, but that’s out of concern for the animals. BTW if anyone knows what the HK train serial numbers and/or pics of their builder plates I’d be happy to know what they look like.
We designed Baldwin "builders plates" for more than the Eureka but to my knowledge they never got added. I chose the number 14358, nothing magic. The European plates have to be there.
Eddie Sotto

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom