News Early Theme Park Entry and Extended Evening Hours coming for resort guests

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I wonder how they’ll manage/enforce this? Separating resort guests could be a mess. Will be interesting to see.
They do it all the time: Early ADR entrance, AP entrance, EMH entrance, (early) holiday party entrance.

They'll just said aside a few tapstiles to one side for those who are getting in earlier. If you don't qualify to get in, you'll be directed to get in line at the other tapstiles.

Andrew M

And they don't seem to be seriously considering or worrying about the people they **** off on the way to that point.

Disney corporate seems be be losing sight of why more people go there than Universal. It's not because they offer more value or have been doing better at adding to their parks over the last decade.

They're eroding the loyalty built on nostalgia that has allowed them to get away with all of this and it only takes one generation who doesn't get that family trip as a kid because parents couldn't afford it or just said to heck with the work and the ever decreasing value proposition to break the return cycle when those kids grow up and have their own kids*...

Of course, that's a result which could take a decade to surface, will happen slowly across time and by the point it is recognizable, will be some future executive's problem, eh?

Sounds about right.

... Then again, how long has it been since things began moving in this direction? 🤔

*It's too late for me. As someone who had an AP most of their life, I've already taken my son enough times that it's a thing for him. He wants to know when we're going back. I'm in no hurry. If he'd been born about 5 years later than he was, he might never have gone in the first place, though and it wouldn't be something he'd have memories of and miss.

Precisely this. They know they have a monopoly on Disney-related Theme Park attractions and there is a loyal crowd that will go to WDW no matter what, probably myself included. I've also gotten my kids hooked on it and they keep asking to go back, so yeah they've got me. But to the casual vacationer, outside of the 'Disney Magic' they're really losing all the perks and extras that made them stand out.

I'm a part time travel agent and had a nice little side business booking and planning Disney trips before COVID. Every perk that I was able to sell potential clients on, the majority of which had never been to Disney before, is now gone. It's only a matter of time before it starts to make an impact.

doctornick

It will be interesting to see how this new iteration pans out. Having it spread out between all the parks will be interesting. But I highly doubt Disney will do a great job of holding back the non resort guests. It won't take long for "tips" to start circulating on how to circumvent whatever limits are put in place. Where are they even going to stack people in times of social distancing?

I'm assuming they won't roll this out until the social distancing requirements are gone. It doesn't sound like it is anything impending.

MrConbon

What makes you think they are fully staffed at opening? Nope...it ramps up. And who said everything will be open? Could be 3 things and they shift some staff for a grand total of an hour...not added labor at all.

Who said “for free”??
The same could be said for the EMH hour. Typically the breakers for each rotation come into work an hour after the first batch of CM’s start. Even if it’s 3 rides being open that’s 12 rides in total you need staffing for. Compare that to EMH hour in DAK which has like 5 rides open.

Your argument doesn’t make any sense.

Andrew M

A lot depends on your party size and situation. But I would argue that the luggage handling was a huge benefit.
I've got 3 kids under 8. Not having to lug my own carseats through the airport and onto a plane was a great benefit, not to mention the luggage and strollers. Plus the kids loved it, they really enjoyed the bus ride to Disney with cartoons and park videos.

drew81

They do it all the time: Early ADR entrance, AP entrance, EMH entrance, (early) holiday party entrance.

They'll just said aside a few tapstiles to one side for those who are getting in earlier. If you don't qualify to get in, you'll be directed to get in line at the other tapstiles.
I was thinking more about how parks usually open a little early for everyone.

mdcpr

Yes.. that's the point I was trying to make. All they have done is take away all perks of staying on property.. while charging more for rooms and charging for parking at the resorts. There is a breaking point for most people. I'm almost there. I'll be done when they start charging for fastpasses or more EMH time. When you stay on their property, buy their tickets, buy their dining plan, shop exclusively at their shops and stay on property your whole vacation .. what more do they want ???
The Four Seasons seems like a good deal now.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The same could be said for the EMH hour. Typically the breakers for each rotation come into work an hour after the first batch of CM’s start. Even if it’s 3 rides being open that’s 12 rides in total you need staffing for. Compare that to EMH hour in DAK which has like 5 rides open.

Your argument doesn’t make any sense.

That half hour, consistent labor adjustment is more manageable than a 1-3 hour adjustment on odd cycle rotation?

Ok...you do you.

Last edited:

Shouldigo12

Precisely this. They know they have a monopoly on Disney-related Theme Park attractions and there is a loyal crowd that will go to WDW no matter what, probably myself included. I've also gotten my kids hooked on it and they keep asking to go back, so yeah they've got me. But to the casual vacationer, outside of the 'Disney Magic' they're really losing all the perks and extras that made them stand out.

I'm a part time travel agent and had a nice little side business booking and planning Disney trips before COVID. Every perk that I was able to sell potential clients on, the majority of which had never been to Disney before, is now gone. It's only a matter of time before it starts to make an impact.
Exactly. Most of the in-park controversies that have popped up on this site don't matter much to casual park goers. Most people don't really care about whether a ride is an IP or not, for example. But your average person is going to look at the hotel prices and they're going to want to know what they're paying for. If the only thing they're offering is things other, cheaper hotels are offering too, they're not going to want to pay that premium.

Sid-Sheldon

1. Fastpass gone-longer wait
2. EMH gone-longer wait
3. Mears Shuttles (oops magical express) gone, longer wait

So it's now to be a PITA to get from Airport to hotel. (old days it was 90 minutes to 2 hours)
Waiting for all rides with no exception.
More crowds, less control, less fun, same price. (or higher)

So my "perks" have been removed (and I will get strong arguments from the crowd reading), why go to WDW? My kids are grown, I can't wait to see what 4-5 year olds will do with 1 & 3. Tired parents, frustrated children....

They're using Covid to remove expensive items that I'd dearly suspect they wanted to "prune" anyway. It will be interesting from a distance seeing how this plays out

Chi84

Premium Member
1. Fastpass gone-longer wait
2. EMH gone-longer wait
3. Mears Shuttles (oops magical express) gone, longer wait

So it's now to be a PITA to get from Airport to hotel. (old days it was 90 minutes to 2 hours)
Waiting for all rides with no exception.
More crowds, less control, less fun, same price. (or higher)

So my "perks" have been removed (and I will get strong arguments from the crowd reading), why go to WDW? My kids are grown, I can't wait to see what 4-5 year olds will do with 1 & 3. Tired parents, frustrated children....

They're using Covid to remove expensive items that I'd dearly suspect they wanted to "prune" anyway. It will be interesting from a distance seeing how this plays out
I think the Fastpass system will be replaced fairly soon. I'm not happy about 1 and 2 although the only thing we've used recently was the airline checkin service so we didn't have to haul our luggage to the airport - we always rent a car. Never used morning EMH and maybe used evening once a trip. Still, I'm sending an email to Disney objecting to them cutting these perks - maybe it won't do anything but it's better than just complaining here.

Sid-Sheldon

I think the Fastpass system will be replaced fairly soon. I'm not happy about 1 and 2 although the only thing we've used recently was the airline checkin service so we didn't have to haul our luggage to the airport - we always rent a car. Never used morning EMH and maybe used evening once a trip. Still, I'm sending an email to Disney objecting to them cutting these perks - maybe it won't do anything but it's better than just complaining here.
Losing the shuttle system is absolutely huge. It splinters the incoming Disney audience into literally hundreds of separate transactions taking place in the airport. I do remember when it re-branded from Mears to MagicalExpress. This will cause literal chaos at Orlando airport for months. This is going to make it like coming into Kennedy or Ohare. Find a taxi, find a shuttle, "oh it's full" wait with your kids & luggage for an hour or so. Oh wait, your 5 year old is hungry... won't that be fun..
No it won't.

Chi84

Premium Member
Losing the shuttle system is absolutely huge. It splinters the incoming Disney audience into literally hundreds of separate transactions taking place in the airport. I do remember when it re-branded from Mears to MagicalExpress. This will cause literal chaos at Orlando airport for months. This is going to make it like coming into Kennedy or Ohare. Find a taxi, find a shuttle, "oh it's full" wait with your kids & luggage for an hour or so. Oh wait, your 5 year old is hungry... won't that be fun..
No it won't.
I agree. Contact Disney and let them know how this will affect you.

aliceismad

This is better than the previous set up and will actually be increasing the cost of operation for the service.
Unless they significantly offset the park opening hours to minimize the impact while also reducing congestion at bus stops in the morning. Could be a cut in operational hours disguised as a "gift."

mightynine

I have a sneaking suspicion that the total number of park hours will be reduced, so say MK opened at 9, it’ll now open at 10 with on-site guests arriving at 9:30, staffing would be the same either way. And then it’ll close earlier for more after-hours events.

I’m feeling more and more that a “base” Disney package will be made so undesirable to encourage costly add-ons. Like how a base model of a car is lacking just enough to make you consider one trim level higher. Or an airline like Spirit piling on the fees.

MrPromey

There was a time when I might have been considered a part of that "loyal crowd" but I hit my personal threshold about 3-4 years ago. I was increasingly unhappy about things leading up to that point but that's when I turned the page on personally enjoying it despite the cutbacks, up-charges and changes to really just doing it for my child.

They've "got me" but in a way that feels more like a hostage situation - at least for a few more years.*

I say this mostly to point out that we all have our breaking points. If I hadn't had a child, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be going anymore and I wouldn't care enough about the state of what is there today to be active on these forums. If I'd had that child just a few years later, I'd also likely have not thought it was worth introducing him to it and the cycle for my family would have been broken for future generations starting with his, right there.

I went because my grandparents took my mom and because they all in turn, took me and I wanted him to have those memories, too.

They've already lost me as a good customer but they came razor close to losing me as any kind of customer at all.

You and I can't be alone in this though, right? I'm just wondering what future business they've already lost without even knowing it yet.

*I suppose if there is a reckoning before he gets too old for me to feel like I'm depriving him of something and they reverse course, that could change but it seems increasingly unlikely.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom