Early reviews for TLM ride?

andre85

Yes.
The inside is what counts.

Indeed, but the outside can enhance the inside; sometimes significantly. The Tower of Terror would not be nearly as effective if it looked like one of Universal's warehouses. It's really about the fully-immersive experience, which is something that will start before you even enter the show building in Disney World's version of TLM.

With that said, I realize the constraints Disney has in DCA--that same show building simply wouldn't work there without destroying the theme of the nearby area. But on a per-ride basis, it's inferior imo.

Btw, I love DCA: It's one of my favorite parks and I think it got a largely unfair bum-rap even before the expansion was even planned.

Rowdy

Indeed, but the outside can enhance the inside; sometimes significantly. The Tower of Terror would not be nearly as effective if it looked like one of Universal's warehouses.

I'm sure you'll be hung for the bolded, lol.

But, I think both buildings are nice in their own way. WDW's version will fit in perfectly with Fantasyland, and I think DCA's fits in perfectly where it is. It certainly isn't an eye-sore.

andre85

I'm sure you'll be hung for the bolded, lol.

Eh, it's true, for the Studios (particularly in Hollywood--The Mummy's 'themed' building is an embarrassment). IoA does a much better job, though I'm still not totally keen on their mostly unthemed coasters (though I do love riding them!)

Skip

Eh, it's true, for the Studios (particularly in Hollywood--The Mummy's 'themed' building is an embarrassment). IoA does a much better job, though I'm still not totally keen on their mostly unthemed coasters (though I do love riding them!)

If we're talking strictly Orlando, Universal has soundstages just like DHS - and overall Universal seems to be far more competent in theming the entirety of their studio park due to proper planning (with the exception of the awful Rockit...) DHS has just as many exposed soundstages as Universal, if not more...

andre85

If we're talking strictly Orlando, Universal has soundstages just like DHS - and overall Universal seems to be far more competent in theming the entirety of their studio park due to proper planning (with the exception of the awful Rockit...) DHS has just as many exposed soundstages as Universal, if not more...

Actually, I retract my Orlando comment as I was primarily thinking of Universal Hollywood when I made that comment. It has been a few years since my Orlando visit and I do actually remember Universal Orlando having much better theming than its west coast sister, though still not quite up to the standards of Disney's non-DHS parks.

Neverland

This doesn't have anything to do with DCA's version, but I caught wind the other day that WDW's Mermaid will use half of Pooh's current fastpass machines for FP distribution. You know, the FP machines that are incredibly out of place at Philharmagic? Now they're gonna be half-Pooh, half-Mermaid, all awkward and inconvenient. In a place where FP machines are located right outside the rides they are for, finding out that Pooh's FPs are located on the other side of the land is pretty annoying. Especially since there's no way of knowing when the fastpasses are for/if they are gone for the day without walking over to Philhar. And Mermaid is going to be even further away than Pooh.

Captain Neo

Everyone I know that rode it says it sucks. They said the Ariel and Ursula AA's are overhyped and aren't that impressive and that most of the figures are about as simple as the figures you would see in the 12 year old Winnie The Pooh attraction. Also yet again Disney relies on video screen projections instead of real show scenes in some places (did they run out of money? ) and to make matters worse the projections use a really cheap looking CGI instead of hand drawn animation so there is no consistency.

People on Micechat are saying similar things unfortunately.

sponono88

^ I've heard reviews from both ends of the spectrum, some give it high praises while other reviews are mixed. Overall the reviews tend to be more positive than negative.

It's a slow moving, musical dark ride -- if you prefer thrills this may not be your cup of tea. Those who are expecting a huge E-Ticket will probably be disappointed. As it stands now it's a fun little family dark ride with lots of AAs and nifty FX that will make a great addition to DCA (and the MK).

Enchantâmes

Everyone I know that rode it says it sucks. They said the Ariel and Ursula AA's are overhyped and aren't that impressive and that most of the figures are about as simple as the figures you would see in the 12 year old Winnie The Pooh attraction. Also yet again Disney relies on video screen projections instead of real show scenes in some places (did they run out of money? ) and to make matters worse the projections use a really cheap looking CGI instead of hand drawn animation so there is no consistency.

Um... no they're not. :lookaroun

Disneyfanman

I must have read different reviews. I have heard mostly positive reviews but nothing over the top "best attraction ever". Everyone now and then I have read a review that focuses on the finale being too abrupt or Ariel's hair or some such.

In truth Disney has tried to temper the expectations by referring to it as a "D" level dark ride on an elaborate scale. I honestly can't wait to ride it. Some of my favorite attractions over the years have been the small scale attempts like Monster's INC at the MK. Not everything can be "best ever". If it has TLM music and AAs and isn't stomach churning then my whole family will probably like experiencing it.

None of this tempers my excitement at the DCA transformation. In 5 years time they will have added TSM, TLM, World of Color, Radiator Springs Racers, Luigi's tires and Mators whatchamacallit. The two subtractions (Maliboomer and California Dreams) weren't worth much to me. They will have created (hopefully) a "moment" when you enter the park with Buena Vista Street.

When DCA opened the only two "must do" attractions for me were Screaming and Soarin'. I've never been there when it has been hot enough for me to do the GRR. So I would do those two attractions, visit Animation, and leave the park. The place really felt like a rip off unless I had a park hopper and my fondness for Disneyland never carried over.

Now, honest to goodness, I can spend the whole day there. And that's without Carsland. I cannot WAIT to see the final final with Buena Vista Street, the Red Cars, etc. They really and truly have transformed that park. It will be just like their other parks in which you try everything and discuss your likes and nots. My entire family can ride 90% of the stuff together. TLM is a perfect example of that.

I guess a billion dollars CAN buy forgiveness. At least from me.

RSoxNo1

For those of you expecting a revolutionary ground breaking attraction on the scope of Tower of Terror or Splash Mountain you will definitely be disappointed. That was never meant to be the expectation for this ride, save that expectation for Radiator Springs Racers.

Lee

Adventurer
For those of you expecting a revolutionary ground breaking attraction on the scope of Tower of Terror or Splash Mountain you will definitely be disappointed. That was never meant to be the expectation for this ride, save that expectation for Radiator Springs Racers.

Yes. That.
Consider it along with Peter Pan, Pooh and the other dark rides. It'll be the best of that bunch.

Don't try to compare it to Mansion or Pirates.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom