Early reviews for TLM ride?

wizards8507

Just to clarify...you have a problem with me asking about early reviews, or people being critical of the ride?

Many of the people around these parts have a problem with others being critical of anything whatsoever.

Others seem to have the inability to do anything other than criticize.

A select few have mastered the art of criticizing everyone and everything, while flaming those who dare to express any opinion contrary to their own. Ignorance must truly be bliss.

devoy1701

Right, the main archway is based on the design of an actual building that existed in Venice Pier in 1911. It also takes inspiration from the Dragon's Gorge Scenic Railway building in Luna Park (Coney Island). You'll find many pictures of the recently-completed building, include the details that hpyhnt mentioned, in this thread:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=446534&page=15

052311-dca070-lrg.jpg

picture by westcoaster.net

Still looks like a movie theater or convention center to me! I think thematically it probably looks great with the rest of Paradise Pier, but it still doesn't look like anything to write home about. Ours is gonna knock the socks off of the DCA show building.

Enchantâmes

Many of the people around these parts have a problem with others being critical of anything whatsoever.

Others seem to have the inability to do anything other than criticize.

A select few have mastered the art of criticizing everyone and everything, while flaming those who dare to express any opinion contrary to their own. Ignorance must truly be bliss.

You win the internet.

TP2000

Still looks like a movie theater or convention center to me! I think thematically it probably looks great with the rest of Paradise Pier, but it still doesn't look like anything to write home about. Ours is gonna knock the socks off of the DCA show building.

I don't think you quite understand what is happening in Anaheim right now. :wave:

DCA is coming out of a long decade in the desert. The hyper-themed and gorgeously detailed Mermaid building pictured repeatedly above that reminds you of a convention center replaced this...

Golden Dreams Theater Entrance, 2001-2009
golden_queue2001ah.jpg

Golden Dreams was a blue stucco warehouse with a Politically Correct history movie inside that usually had about a half dozen people watching it's twice-per-hour performance. Golden Dreams was a cheap film attraction inside a cheap theater facility, and it epitomized the worst of DCA.

But Golden Dreams was bulldozed into the dusty Anaheim soil in '09 and replaced with an entirely new building with a musical animatronic Omnimover spectacular inside. And instead of being outfitted with generic hardware and furnishings from the same catalog people building suburban office parks use as they did with DCA a decade ago, Mermaid has custom-designed Imagineering details everywhere, from the seaweed chandeliers to the seashells ground into the pavement next to the inlaid tile and right down to the sea urchins on the tops of every pole in the extended queue. Everything is custom here.

Exterior details at The Little Mermaid building
IMG0722-M.jpg
IMG0741-M.jpg

IMG0772-M.jpg
IMG0730-M.jpg

I mean, really, custom brass sea urchin pole toppers in the outdoor portion of the queue! :lol:

They are spending 1.2 Billion Dollars American Cash Money over three years for DCA's Extreme Makeover. That's more money than they spent in the last decade over all four WDW parks combined, and it's all being spent in one theme park on a compressed three year timeline. The Little Mermaid building is but one pretty jewel in DCA's sparkling new crown of jewels, it's not just the sole headliner attraction of this decade in a theme park that hasn't seen a new E Ticket since 1992. (Checking the calendar... yup, that was 20 years ago.)

You must forgive us our giddiness here in SoCal. DCA was an ugly thing when it was born, and it now is getting 1.2 Billion dollars of cosmetic and structural surgery by the best experts in the field of theme park design. And we'll happily take that new Mermaid family dark ride in that hyper-designed convention center building as we all skip along the path to Paradise Garden and the Red Car Trolley and Buena Vista Street and the Carthay Circle Theater and 12 new acres of Cars Land.

Custom brass sea urchin pole toppers in a queue at DCA? Someone pinch me, I'm dreaming! :D

sponono88

I don't think you quite understand what is happening in Anaheim right now. :wave:

DCA is coming out of a long decade in the desert. The hyper-themed and gorgeously detailed Mermaid building pictured repeatedly above that reminds you of a convention center replaced this...

Golden Dreams was a blue stucco warehouse with a Politically Correct history movie inside that usually had about a half dozen people watching it's twice-per-hour performance. Golden Dreams was a cheap film attraction inside a cheap theater facility, and it epitomized the worst of DCA.

But Golden Dreams was bulldozed into the dusty Anaheim soil in '09 and replaced with an entirely new building with a musical animatronic Omnimover spectacular inside. And instead of being outfitted with generic hardware and furnishings from the same catalog people building suburban office parks use as they did with DCA a decade ago, Mermaid has custom-designed Imagineering details everywhere, from the seaweed chandeliers to the seashells ground into the pavement next to the inlaid tile and right down to the sea urchins on the tops of every pole in the extended queue. Everything is custom here.

I mean, really, custom brass sea urchin pole toppers in the outdoor queue! :lol:

They are spending 1.2 Billion Dollars American Cash Money over three years for DCA's Extreme Makeover. That's more money than they spent in the last decade over all four WDW parks combined, and it's all being spent in one theme park on a compressed three year timeline. The Little Mermaid building is but one pretty jewel in DCA's sparkling new crown of jewels, it's not just the sole headliner attraction of this decade in a theme park that hasn't seen a new E Ticket since 1992. (Checking the calendar... yup, that was 20 years ago.)

You must forgive us our giddiness here in SoCal. DCA was an ugly thing when it was born, and it now is getting 1.2 Billion dollars of cosmetic and structural surgery by the best experts in the field of theme park design. And we'll happily take that new Mermaid dark ride in that hyper-designed convention center building as we all skip along the path to Paradise Garden and the Red Car Trolley and Buena Vista Street and the Carthay Circle Theater and 12 new acres of Cars Land.

Custom brass sea urchin pole toppers in a queue at DCA? Someone pinch me, I'm dreaming! :D

Couldn't have said it better, TP! To be honest, I'm just impressed they were able to squeeze in the ride in that limited amount of space. Whether the ride ends up being good or not, the fact is a highly themed musical dark-ride is replacing a poorly-attended film attraction. That's good enough for me!

TLM is just a fun family dark-ride as part of the DCA expansion -- the major headliner E-Ticket attraction is expected to be Radiator Springs Racers in 2012.

As far as details, you can't forget the art tile mosaic floors and lighting fixtures. Not to mention the fantastic landscaping around the building meant to resemble coral and undersea plant life :) Add to that seaweed/bubble railings and snazzy new doors..

i-jvQQZJ8-M.jpg
i-p8dfZdF-M.jpg

IMG0732-M.jpg
IMG0757-M.jpg

i-KbcgKqq-S.jpg
IMG0794-M.jpg

sponono88

A couple more close-up pictures from MiceChatter ilyxr. Just a sample of the many details in the building exterior, which shows you the direction they took as far as visual style and design. The result is a fancy Victorian Exposition-style building with a nod to Seaside piers of the past. A different and more elegant approach compared to the fantasy, fairytale environment the Florida ride will feature.

Yes, they embedded seashells/clams on the floor to recreate a sandy beach look!

1774-1.jpg
1771-1.jpg

1782-1.jpg
1779-2.jpg
1759-1.jpg

1805-1.jpg
1780-1.jpg

1784-1.jpg
1765-1.jpg

andre85

You must forgive us our giddiness here in SoCal. DCA was an ugly thing when it was born, and it now is getting 1.2 Billion dollars of cosmetic and structural surgery by the best experts in the field of theme park design. And we'll happily take that new Mermaid family dark ride in that hyper-designed convention center building as we all skip along the path to Paradise Garden and the Red Car Trolley and Buena Vista Street and the Carthay Circle Theater and 12 new acres of Cars Land.

And yet none of this contradicts anything the poster you quoted stated. It's entirely possible for the facade to not be as nice as Disney World's, while being a huge improvement.

TP2000

And yet none of this contradicts anything the poster you quoted stated. It's entirely possible for the facade to not be as nice as Disney World's, while being a huge improvement.

True. But then I've seen suburban strip malls that are better themed than most of DCA circa 2001. :lol:

Can't we just all get along?

Pardon me, but as someone who's been to WDW many times, and about to visit DL for the second time, is there a need for one park's attraction to be BETTER than the other? Can't we simply enjoy both without getting in a scrap here? "Happiest Place on Earth'? You can't tell it from the way folks get personal on these boards. I say let's appreciate everything Disney has done for us through the years, grant that they've made mistakes, and be happy when they fix things they've done wrong. And let's remember what we're talking about here -- the best, most influential, finest family entertainment company in the world.

SyracuseOrange

pardon me, but as someone who's been to wdw many times, and about to visit dl for the second time, is there a need for one park's attraction to be better than the other? Can't we simply enjoy both without getting in a scrap here? "happiest place on earth'? You can't tell it from the way folks get personal on these boards. i say let's appreciate everything disney has done for us through the years, grant that they've made mistakes, and be happy when they fix things they've done wrong. and let's remember what we're talking about here -- the best, most influential, finest family entertainment company in the world.

Ha....

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Pardon me, but as someone who's been to WDW many times, and about to visit DL for the second time, is there a need for one park's attraction to be BETTER than the other? Can't we simply enjoy both without getting in a scrap here? "Happiest Place on Earth'? You can't tell it from the way folks get personal on these boards. I say let's appreciate everything Disney has done for us through the years, grant that they've made mistakes, and be happy when they fix things they've done wrong. And let's remember what we're talking about here -- the best, most influential, finest family entertainment company in the world.

Everything at WDW should be better than at DL because I go there once a year and DL only once every few years. :lol:

devoy1701

Everything at WDW should be better than at DL because I go there once a year and DL only once every few years. :lol:

I wish Steve would add "like" buttons on here!

Ditto to what you said! Also, DL keeps holding that whole "well we are the original" line over our heads so that's another reason why our things should be better! :king:

devoy1701

i don't see anyone not getting along. I'm not even putting down Disneyland's version as being ugly. My comment was strictly to point out what was my opinion JT's over-exaggeration.

sheesh.

ToTBellHop

The DCA ride building is certainly nice, but it cannot compete with
40057-hi-LittleMermaid.jpg

Obviously, the WDW version will have the better queue, but if you compare the FLE to DCA's expansion, it's obviously no contest. The difference is that the FLE is meant to spruce up and expand an already-fantastic and successful park. The DCA expansion is meant to reinvent a failure of a park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom