Early reviews for TLM ride?

TP2000

The rest of the park is walled now so I am glad to see something not walled. At least with FLE it is at the edge of the park and not everywhere you look. I know DCA will be awesome once done but right now it looks like a disaster area.

What?! The current DCA entrance doesn't seem welcoming to you???

IMG0515-L.jpg

And once you get around the entrance walls, you are met with this MAGICAL view as the park's opening act...
IMG0533-L.jpg

And that's just in the first 100 yards of the turnstiles, and doesn't take into account the walls up for the Red Car Trolley in Hollywood, the walls up around 12 acres of Cars Land, or the walls up around Paradise Pier for Goofy's Sky School and Paradise Garden restaurants.

You don't find 4 miles of DCA construction walls magical and glamorous?!? :lookaroun

skimbob

You don't find 4 miles of DCA construction walls magical and glamorous?!? :lookaroun

NO :) I am hoping to see less walls when I go in October. Once completed it will be awesome it's just the wait that kills you. I am thinking the entrance will look more like Hollywood Studios in Orlando and that will be a welcome change. I think we might finally be able to say we are proud of DCA.

dweezil78

I think its going to be awesome and besides all I have read from people who actually rode it is that it is a hit and the best thing Disney has done for the parks since World of Color.

I'm hearing good things as well... but isn't it the only thing Disney has done for the parks since World of Color? (As far as new attractions go)

Disney Rocks

The Little Mermaid really is a great sign. It is the first attraction that has centered around AA's in a while. It's good to see WDI going back to their roots.

I'm not expecting a knock-you-out E-ticket. I just want a well-done dark ride.

devoy1701

It descends near the beginning, and ascends towards the end.

The overall consensus from CM's on Disneyland boards is that the Mermaid ride is a fantastic family dark-ride with a 6 minute ride time and a gazillion animatronics and some nifty special effects inside. Supposedly the smaller animatronics like Scuttle and Sebastian that show up several times in the ride are more impressive technically than the giant animatronics like Ursula that Disney has been using for PR on the Disney Parks Blog.

It's exactly the big family dark ride that DCA has been missing since it opened in 2001.

The walls came down from around DCA's Mermaid building late last week, and Cast Member Previews are happening through this week.

DCA's Little Mermaid Attraction At Night This Past Weekend
5745775068_e83516d4d0_b.jpg

I would imagine within a week they will lift the ban on photography and video inside the ride, and we'll see our first good YouTube ride-through video. The exteriors are different between DCA and Magic Kingdom, but the interior is said to be identical at the two parks. Video will be available within a week or so! :sohappy:

I have seen more pics of the DCA show building and it is absolutely first rate. It reminds me of Epcot when it first opened. IMO the show building is at least as important as what is inside and they really got it right! WDI is back. :)

It looks like the entrance to an anchor store at a mall IMO... or a Muvico theater...I wouldn't exactly say that the show building looks "first rate". I was wondering how they were going to make it thematically fit with Paradise Pier and I guess they do an OK job here. But I'm definitely liking our show building much better. And I'm sure the ride is going to be superb!

aladdin2007

It looks like the entrance to an anchor store at a mall IMO... or a Muvico theater...I wouldn't exactly say that the show building looks "first rate". I was wondering how they were going to make it thematically fit with Paradise Pier and I guess they do an OK job here. But I'm definitely liking our show building much better. And I'm sure the ride is going to be superb!

Agreed, Im sure the building is very detailed and all but as it stands it does look like an anchor store or an old navy or something. Im looking forward to our building much more instead. Our toy story though looks like a walgreens. Im glad they decided to theme mermaid here with a castle and rockwork and falls.

dweezil78

You know, I was about to defend this as it really is a nice looking building in person w/ some really cool detail all around... but it is kind of hard to deny the similarities. :shrug: That said, those Muvico buildings are way nicer than they have any right to be!

ZLYfa.jpg

devoy1701

You know, I was about to defend this as it really is a nice looking building in person w/ some really cool detail all around... but it is kind of hard to deny the similarities. :shrug: That said, those Muvico buildings are way nicer than they have any right to be!

ZLYfa.jpg

Don't get me wrong. Mucivo theaters are by no means ugly buildings and are pretty impressive as far as movie theaters today go. But calling TLM Show building out at Paradise Pier "First Rate" as JT did is a bit of a stretch in my opinion. It is a visually appealing building...but it is by no means fantastic or a work of art or truly represtent what I suspect is an amazing attraction inside as JT mentions: It reminds me of Epcot when it first opened. IMO the show building is at least as important as what is inside and they really got it right!

And it definitely wouldn't make my "Top Show Buildings of the Disney Parks List" if I kept such a thing.

Nothing against the attraction, just pointing out another unsupported, over-praising moment brought to us exclusively from JT.

skimbob

Anything is better than walls. I think this actually looks much nicer than the theater it replaced. No it won't look like the one in the FLE expansion, but I think it looks pretty good as a stand alone and will fit in nicely with the Paradise Pier area.

hpyhnt 1000

The Mermaid building at DCA has a great number of details, from sea shells and clams embedded in the pavement to various sea themed sconces and ornamental accents. The building itself is themed to an aquarium. Its design (particularly the entrance arch) is based on early 20th century architecture that could have been found on the Santa Monica Pier; in short, its attractive, substantial, and fits well into the existing theme of Paradise Pier.

As an aside, I've been to that movie theater in the picture (its in Boca Raton, FL) and it is an impressive theater inside and out, though it is now operated by Cinemark.

dweezil78

As an aside, I've been to that movie theater in the picture (its in Boca Raton, FL) and it is an impressive theater inside and out, though it is now operated by Cinemark.

Ah, that's totally the one right next to Boomer's isn't it? Have driven past it countless times in the past but it's been several years now so didn't recognize it...

PeoplemoverTTA

It's exactly the big family dark ride that DCA has been missing since it opened in 2001.

I'm really looking forward to TLM on both coasts (I'm hoping to get back to DL in late 2011/early 2012), but I think that Monster's Inc did a nice job of filling that void in 2005 (I rode previews New Year's Eve 2005, but I think it officially opened in 2006).

I'm not complaining about another one, though...just don't think it was necessarily the first family dark ride.

sponono88

The Mermaid building at DCA has a great number of details, from sea shells and clams embedded in the pavement to various sea themed sconces and ornamental accents. The building itself is themed to an aquarium. Its design (particularly the entrance arch) is based on early 20th century architecture that could have been found on the Santa Monica Pier; in short, its attractive, substantial, and fits well into the existing theme of Paradise Pier.

Right, the main archway is based on the design of an actual building that existed in Venice Pier in 1911. It also takes inspiration from the Dragon's Gorge Scenic Railway building in Luna Park (Coney Island). You'll find many pictures of the recently-completed building, include the details that hpyhnt mentioned, in this thread:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=446534&page=15

052311-dca070-lrg.jpg

picture by westcoaster.net

TinkerBell9988

Yep, that theater is right by my school! Been there once many moons ago... the Cinemark (formerly known as Muvico) in Pembroke Pines is also similar, but it looks like an Egyptian pyramid.

I actually love the show building for Little Mermaid in DCA. It looks fabulous at night, too. I'm excited to see the facade for MK's LM ride!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom