Early 1970s Tomorrowland

EpcotMark

Original Poster
I have been thinking a lot the last few days of the early days of the Magic Kingdom. Especially tomorrowland. Does anyone have any memories of Tomorrowland when it first opened? I hear there were only two attractions open, The race cars, and the Skyway.

So the Peoplemover was not even there. They must have had some of the infrastucture built anyways in anticipation of it opening a few years later?

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Pictures from July 1972

Entry to Tomorrowland
E8DD13A8-1899-444A-B864-6CFB8A4E3E56.jpeg

No infrastructure for anything other than race cars and skyway
ED35BD9C-6B02-44B2-A826-F100E3310E57.jpeg

The walled off area in back is where Space Mountain was built.
A9CE8237-3E64-43FD-9384-ECFF02BD7FC1.jpeg

The next two pics were taken from the skyway.
FE85ADBC-0E3C-4E53-9FDA-7B59F6DE5639.jpeg

C6E526BF-1578-4CDF-888D-EA18D7B8BE15.jpeg

EpcotMark

Original Poster

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
I have been thinking a lot the last few days of the early days of the Magic Kingdom. Especially tomorrowland. Does anyone have any memories of Tomorrowland when it first opened? I hear there were only two attractions open, The race cars, and the Skyway.

So the Peoplemover was not even there. They must have had some of the infrastucture built anyways in anticipation of it opening a few years later?
That is true....just two attractions, but America the Beautiful (Circle Vision 360) and Flight to the Moon were open before the end of the year. The addition to the southern, Circle Vision building, was getting started too (future home of "if You Had Wings"). Although the PeopleMover station was still a few years away, the sections of track lining the main avenue of Tomorrowland had been included in the original construction. They looked like unused balconies on each side. They were capped off at the end of each of the main buildings.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So much of Tomorrowland was almost made up as they went along...

Circlevision was meant to be a carousel theatre.

Space Port was meant to be where the carousel theatre went

Wedway station was mean to be inside Space Port

Wedway was meant to travel up to 20k and back

If You Had Wings wasn’t meant to be...

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

How things change... and that was the Disney that was all about show. However, if a tile is missing now when a park is opened the world comes to an end and Walt's insistence on show is violated. All that was missing in DL when it opened was almost anything to do, and no water fountains. Other then that (and about a million other things) all was perfect. The same thing applied to WDW, but, it was a by-god low admission price.

Kind of makes me happy that I never went until 1983. I never got to see all that perfection from the past.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
How things change... and that was the Disney that was all about show. However, if a tile is missing now when a park is opened the world comes to an end and Walt's insistence on show is violated. All that was missing in DL when it opened was almost anything to do, and no water fountains. Other then that (and about a million other things) all was perfect. The same thing applied to WDW, but, it was a by-god low admission price.

Kind of makes me happy that I never went until 1983. I never got to see all that perfection from the past.
Yes, expectations today are far higher due to the bar that’s been set since the mid 70s.

John park hopper

Bender123 you hit the nail on the head maybe for us who knew WDW in the early days its a curse of remember when. There are still many aspects of WDW I love

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That is true....just two attractions, but America the Beautiful (Circle Vision 360) and Flight to the Moon were open before the end of the year. The addition to the southern, Circle Vision building, was getting started too (future home of "if You Had Wings"). Although the PeopleMover station was still a few years away, the sections of track lining the main avenue of Tomorrowland had been included in the original construction. They looked like unused balconies on each side. They were capped off at the end of each of the main buildings.
Indeed. Here’s the extent of the WEDway rotunda circa 1971/2

E6B6F808-5BB4-45A9-A01A-5D072A9EA0B4.jpeg

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Is that the Mission to Mars building? Starlight Cafe to the back and right?
It's actually both buildings....from the angle of the photo, the ladder at the end of the PeopleMover track is just above the current Buzz entrance. Follow that piece of track to the light pole, and the PM takes a hard left turn. The balance of PM track you can see is the Flight to the Moon building with the original Tomorrowland Terrace at the far right. All the palms surround the area that will eventually be the StarJets, PM station, and Lunching Pad.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom