Dwarfs Roller Coaster Speed

WDWNeighbor

Original Poster
If Fantasyland is not the place for "thrills" then someone explain to me why DL has the Mattehorn?
I apologize ... I have never been to DL and hence didn't know it was in Fantasyland there. Sorry for not being more well-informed. I have lived in Florida practically my entire life so I have not had the privilege of a visit to DL yet. Hoping to in the future though when my son is older! Have heard mostly great things about DL.

p.s. I might be in the minority here, but I am willing to put my faith in the Imaginears that they will do what is best for the Magic Kingdom. Without seeing the final product, I am willing to be optimistic, especially considering they already made tweaks to the original plans based on feedback. OK, so I am sure some of you will flame me for this, but I have a feeling that it will be fantastic whatever it is ... heck, it has to be better than the current Snow White ride, right?!?!? :)

p.p.s. I think we can all agree that "thrills" is a largely subjective term -- everyone has their opinion on what a true thrill is especially by Disney standards.

TP2000

OK, so I am sure some of you will flame me for this, but I have a feeling that it will be fantastic whatever it is ... heck, it has to be better than the current Snow White ride, right?!?!? :)

Well, since you've never been to Disneyland, it's understandable that your point of reference is dusty and ill-maintained dark rides from the 1970's. For example, at Disneyland last year they refreshed the Snow White dark ride with this amazing new digital mapping projection technique that allows the sets to morph and change shape and color as you pass through them in your car. It's the same type of technology used in the new Memories show on the Castle, just shrunk down and sized for the dark rooms of the Snow White ride.

Watch the sets change before your eyes in this 30 second clip of some of the new effects. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3JuWBibhlg

And you should see what Disneyland has done with their version of Peter Pan's Flight! Or the digital hedgehog in Alice in Wonderland, or the digitally animated tableaus inside the new Castle walk-through tour, etc. :D

There's a way to keep things fresh and updated and compelling without just ripping it out and putting in a Photopass Princess Pavilion. It's a shame that in a park like Magic Kingdom that only has 3 classic dark rides (Snow, Pan, Pooh), compared to 7 classic dark rides at Disneyland (Snow, Pan, Pinnochio, Alice, Toad, Pooh, Roger Rabbitt), that the Magic Kingdom is actually removing a dark ride because they are building something new nearby.

I just don't get that decision at all, and I've been to both WDW and Disneyland many times. :confused:

Mansion Butler

I don't mind if this roller coaster isn't as strong as some of the others. Disney is making rides for people of all ages. As long as it is themed well, people will go on it regardless of how intense it is. (see: Peter Pan's Flight, Winnie the Pooh, BLSRS)

While it would be great to some grand e-ticket behind the castle, I'll take what I can get.
I agree with this, too. I'm not expecting big thrills, and I don't need them to be happy. The arguments that Fantasyland can have big thrills are tangentially related.

johnson41101

Well, since you've never been to Disneyland, it's understandable that your point of reference is dusty and ill-maintained dark rides from the 1970's. For example, at Disneyland last year they refreshed the Snow White dark ride with this amazing new digital mapping projection technique that allows the sets to morph and change shape and color as you pass through them in your car. It's the same type of technology used in the new Memories show on the Castle, just shrunk down and sized for the dark rooms of the Snow White ride.

Watch the sets change before your eyes in this 30 second clip of some of the new effects. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3JuWBibhlg

And you should see what Disneyland has done with their version of Peter Pan's Flight! Or the digital hedgehog in Alice in Wonderland, or the digitally animated tableaus inside the new Castle walk-through tour, etc. :D

There's a way to keep things fresh and updated and compelling without just ripping it out and putting in a Photopass Princess Pavilion. It's a shame that in a park like Magic Kingdom that only has 3 classic dark rides (Snow, Pan, Pooh), compared to 7 classic dark rides at Disneyland (Snow, Pan, Pinnochio, Alice, Toad, Pooh, Roger Rabbitt), that the Magic Kingdom is actually removing a dark ride because they are building something new nearby.

I just don't get that decision at all, and I've been to both WDW and Disneyland many times. :confused:

I'm afraid I can see nothing out of the ordinary in that clip of Snow White. Care to point it out?

EDIT: I see it now, okay. Still, changing the lighting of something isn't that big of a change, really. It isn't terribly different from the HM update with the footsteps.

WDWNeighbor

Original Poster

I just hope that DL keeps them going!! I think the dark rides are what set Disney apart from every other theme park company.

Not that the WDW parks have been completely stagnant, but it seems to me that WDW has been way more focused on its resorts for so many years than the parks. I am sure some of the funds for the resorts could have been used to keep at least bits and pieces of EPCOT and MK a little fresher on some fronts. But getting people to stay on property and not leave during their vacation was obviously Eisner, et. al., vision for WDW. Their resort plan seems to have worked rather well too. But oh, how I miss Toad! :)

Sorry to get off topic a bit.

TP2000

I'm afraid I can see nothing out of the ordinary in that clip of Snow White. Care to point it out?

EDIT: I see it now, okay. Still, changing the lighting of something isn't that big of a change, really. It isn't terribly different from the HM update with the footsteps.

It's actually not just lighting, it's a digitally projected mapping overlay of the entire scene. When the witch turns around, the whole room changes colors, textures and shapes. The end scene with the dwarves in the storm also uses digitally projected rain and water running down the cliffs, and even dripping off their noses. But the effects are very, very hard to convey through YouTube, as most of real life tends to be. :lol:

The point is that other Disney parks beyond the reach of TDO aren't letting their old dark rides sit stagnant for decades. They are updating and plussing and keeping them looking very crisp and fresh.

Hopefully some of these digital mapping effects show up in the Dwarves coaster dark ride segments. Disneyland also recently installed the digital mapping in the avalanche scene of Big Thunder Mountain, so there is already precedence there for using the new technology on a coaster. If TDO wants to pay for it, I suppose. :rolleyes:

juniorthomas

I agree with this, too. I'm not expecting big thrills, and I don't need them to be happy. The arguments that Fantasyland can have big thrills are tangentially related.

And ultimately, we're going to put up with whatever WDI and Jay Rasulo create. I'm a shareholder, but as of yet they haven't come to me for approval on any of their rides. Not once.

(I did help vote out Eisner though...)

WDW FTW

I can see the logic behind not putting in a top thriller in the center of the new fantasyland, for one there are a number of families that only visit Magic Kingdom (which makes it the #1 park in the world) and there are often small children in those groups. Im talking about the 3-7 range here. And i know for a fact that if the ride had a height restriction of 48" or so because of a launch or a 100+ foot drop, and if the little kids weren't able to ride it, it could become an instant day ruiner. Again im not stating that the ride should be focused on the younger population of the park, just that its obviously in consideration.

EDIT: I hope it's close to the length of splash mountain time-wise :p because that would be a step closer to making MK a 2 day park, which would bring in a ridiculous amount of money.

RSoxNo1

The assumption is that Princess Fairytale Hall will one day become the location of a new Fantasyland style dark ride. Snow White's Scary Adventures was a poor C-Ticket attraction (as is Peter Pan, but that's another argument). It was in need of a serious plussing (like Disneyland's) or a replacement. I really am not concerned with this decision at all.

SeaBase86

IMO, after this expansion. Mk could benefit from a thrilling e ticket. Something along the lines of a Test Track type ride. I mean the last one was in 1992 almost 19 years ago.

juniorthomas

IMO, after this expansion. Mk could benefit from a thrilling e ticket. Something along the lines of a Test Track type ride. I mean the last one was in 1992 almost 19 years ago.

If Project Z is what Lee claims it is, maybe that will happen sooner rather than later...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom