Dwarfs Roller Coaster Speed

Oriolesmagic

If this thing is exactlly like casey jones train, I will be done with Disney. I seriously will quit coming to disney and not renew my annual pass. This thing better blow people away and have a wow factor, because listen I work at Universal (I know i feel like a spy) and all people talk about is the forbidden journey and this and that. From kids to adults. I mean it really sends them home talking about it. That's what disney use to do. All I can say is that the more and more I hear about Potter the more excited I get and start thinking Disney will up there game. I guess we will have to wait and see.

It's not going to be like the Casey Jr. Ride. If it does go 25 MPH like some expect, then it won't be a problem at all. If you want a big thrill ride, go to Universal. They've got Hulk, (Dueling) Dragon Challenge, and many more thrills. However, Disney is going to hit the jackpot with this ride because frankly, they're Disney.

The ride is not going to blow EVERYONE away because the first thing that goes through people's mind when they hear the word roller coaster is: Fast and thrilling. People who are expecting this are going to be somewhat disappointed I'm sure.

I for one, go to Disney because of the Magic! The beautiful scenery, theming and wonderful storytelling is what makes Disney so great for millions throughout the world. But lastly, this ride will NOT disappoint me because...

There's no Yeti.

Slowjack

If Disney were to ask me for a wish list, I would not put a middling-thrill Snow White roller coaster near the top. But I really don't see anything to object to here. While I am only semi-excited about this ride, I was entirely un-excited about the prospect of more meet-and-greet stations, which is what we were going to get instead. Disney has made the decision that their big expansion for right now is Fantasyland. And the stated reason for this expansion is to expand capacity for young children. Someone--maybe Lassiter-- was quoted saying something like, "right now, we have our smallest guests waiting in the longest lines." This expansion is a reaction to Disney World, and the Magic Kingdom in particular, skewing younger than before. Given the purpose of the expansion, there is no way they are going to build a ride that has a significant height requirement.

Some of us may wish Disney had chosen a different approach, perhaps directly challenging the Harry Potter area at Universal. But that ship has sailed.

And my guess is that it will provide thrills close to the level of the Matterhorn, anyway.

wserratore1963

It's not going to be like the Casey Jr. Ride. If it does go 25 MPH like some expect, then it won't be a problem at all. If you want a big thrill ride, go to Universal. They've got Hulk, (Dueling) Dragon Challenge, and many more thrills. However, Disney is going to hit the jackpot with this ride because frankly, they're Disney.

The ride is not going to blow EVERYONE away because the first thing that goes through people's mind when they hear the word roller coaster is: Fast and thrilling. People who are expecting this are going to be somewhat disappointed I'm sure.

I for one, go to Disney because of the Magic! The beautiful scenery, theming and wonderful storytelling is what makes Disney so great for millions throughout the world. But lastly, this ride will NOT disappoint me because...

There's no Yeti.
bravo!

TP2000

I mentioned this about a year ago when the mine coaster rumors first started swirling, but what I think we are looking at is a Seven Dwarves version of The Dragon roller coaster at Legoland California.

The Dragon is a themed 3 minute long ride that has a 90 second slow portion past animated show scenes inside a castle, and then exits the building and becomes a 90 second mildly thrilling roller coaster. It has a 40 inch height requirement, yet is surprisingly mild. Watch this 3 minute YouTube video to see what a 40 inch height requirement on a themed dark ride/kiddy coaster gets you... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO6t6XcStXo&feature=related

Granted, the showmanship of the Seven Dwarves coaster is going to be superior, and there's also the gimmick of the swaying coaster cars. But IMO the basic concept is to be found on The Dragon at Legoland.

WDW FTW

Not exactly sure what this has to do with anything, but then again i never do understand your comments :lol:

I for one don't find matterhorn to be that thrilling (uh-oh here comes the flame) but I do think this will be a good ride, with great theming on the inside. Im hoping for dark drops in the mine caves, Disney works well with keeping the most exciting parts of the ride hidden

Mansion Butler

I don't think there's any reason to flame someone over not finding the Matterhorn that thrilling, as that's entirely subjective. I don't find it to be high tier thrills, either. Same for Mission: Space (somehow, the g-forces just don't get to me the way, say, RnR's launch or ToT's drop do).

That said, there's no argument its PURPOSE is (well-themed) thrills. And those intended thrills were placed in *GASP* Fantasyland

. . . well, Tomorrowland and then moved to Fantasyland, but you get the point.

I don't think this mine car thing has to be extreme thrills to be a worthwhile addition, I just really want to stop reading that thrills can't go in Fantasyland.

worldfanatic

The Matterhorn within Fantasyland argument is thin.
The Matterhorn is on the far outskirts of Fantasyland.
And with the Monorail whizzing around it and the former Peoplemover right next to it, I'm sure many people through the years assumed it was part of Tomorrowland. As Wolf359 stated, it actually was for awhile.

I'm confident the Dwarf's Coaster will be cutting edge.

And in any case, just about ANYTHING is better than a "meet and greet" for me.:)

Mansion Butler

The Matterhorn within Fantasyland argument is thin.
The Matterhorn is on the far outskirts of Fantasyland.
And with the Monorail whizzing around it and the former Peoplemover right next to it, I'm sure many people through the years assumed it was part of Tomorrowland. As Wolf359 stated, it actually was for awhile.
Why does that matter? Let's say you remove all of the Tomorrowland stuff, just for the sake of argument. Does the Matterhorn no longer fit because it's too thrilling? The thrills are only okay because there's a monorail nearby? The placement of the attraction within a land determines how thrilling it is or is not?

Now tell me why that makes sense. If you move the Matterhorn to the middle of Fantasyland -- ignoring theme -- it does it not work anymore, just because it's thrilling?

The land an attraction is in should only determine the theme, much as the Matterhorn thematically fits in Fantasyland, but not in Tomorrowland (the fact that it was officially called a Tomorrowland attraction for much of its history should be seen as a mistake that was properly rectified). The land should not determine how thrilling it is or is not. There's no reason an attraction in Fantasyland can't have thrills, whether it's in the center or on the edges. Where it's placed is not relevant to how exciting it's allowed to be. Fantasyland, just like the rest of Walt Disney World, should be about all ages and should not restrict itself to one specific demographic. It can, and should, have something for everyone.

wolf359

I just want to add that I don't think Fantasyland has to equal "for kids only." Even though it includes attractions obviously intended for young children, I don't think that it must only include attractions for young children.

Now that it is absorbing Toontown Fair (which I do think should be for kids) I think it is good they're keeping and expanding the offerings for the under 40" set but I don't see any reason why a truly thrilling attraction would be out of place.

Most of the lands already offer a full slate of offerings from A-E ticket level, and Fantasyland shouldn't automatically be denied the option of a bigger thrill just because it would carry a height or heath warning.

Mansion Butler

I just want to add that I don't think Fantasyland has to equal "for kids only." Even though it includes attractions obviously intended for young children, I don't think that it must only include attractions for young children.

Now that it is absorbing Toontown Fair (which I do think should be for kids) I think it is good they're keeping and expanding the offerings for the under 40" set but I don't see any reason why a truly thrilling attraction would be out of place.

Most of the lands already offer a full slate of offerings from A-E ticket level, and Fantasyland shouldn't automatically be denied the option of a bigger thrill just because it would carry a height or heath warning.
Agreed with all of this. The theme of Fantasyland does lend itself towards "tamer" rides, and that's fine. That doesn't mean they have to restrict themselves to that and that alone.

TP2000

Agreed with all of this. The theme of Fantasyland does lend itself towards "tamer" rides, and that's fine. That doesn't mean they have to restrict themselves to that and that alone.

Agreed.

The Matterhorn Boblseds ride was built in Fantasyland by Walt Disney, and a little thing like... the original Disneyland attraction poster from 1959 proves it. :cool:

Disneyland1.jpg

Not to mention all the mentions of this new ride "in Fantasyland" from the opening day TV special Walt produced in 1959 with the Nixon family, Art Linkletter, and other celebrities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fzwz5vxWW18

Yeah, yeah, yeah, from 1965 to 1970 the INA Insurance Company sponsored the info desk on Main Street and passed out the guidemap booklets that listed the Matterhorn in Tomorrowland, an error that was corrected when the booklets were reprinted in 1971. (A geographical error that was likely done on purpose, because Fantasyland's pages in the booklet were full with 16 permanent attractions to list, and Tomorrowland's pages had more room with only 8 to 11 attractions to list depending on the year)

But really, Walt built the ride in Fantasyland in '59, labeled it as a Fantasyland ride for years while he was alive, and he had no problem with it there. Today, in 2011, it's still in Fantasyland. And it's still a heck of a lot of fun.

Mansion Butler

Thank you thank you thank you thank you, TP2000. That should trump park maps and any argument that the Matterhorn is not an example of a thrill ride in Fantasyland.

juniorthomas

Also, for those of you who are wondering, I got the LM track layout from a photo of the layout in the DCA Blue Sky Cellar. The Dwarfs' Mine layout is from Lee. I overlaid and redrew both layouts on the leaked blueprints to calculate the track lengths.

Amazing. Thanks for doing all of that for us.

Daannzzz

I mentioned this about a year ago when the mine coaster rumors first started swirling, but what I think we are looking at is a Seven Dwarves version of The Dragon roller coaster at Legoland California.

The Dragon is a themed 3 minute long ride that has a 90 second slow portion past animated show scenes inside a castle, and then exits the building and becomes a 90 second mildly thrilling roller coaster. It has a 40 inch height requirement, yet is surprisingly mild. Watch this 3 minute YouTube video to see what a 40 inch height requirement on a themed dark ride/kiddy coaster gets you... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO6t6XcStXo&feature=related

Granted, the showmanship of the Seven Dwarves coaster is going to be superior, and there's also the gimmick of the swaying coaster cars. But IMO the basic concept is to be found on The Dragon at Legoland.

I have not ever seen that but that is how I imagine the ride will be though I am not sure the downhill section will be as steep. I think it would be cool to have some of the slower part in the middle of the ride with perhaps the ending being a slow section as well.

juniorthomas

That's exactly what I was thinking! Also you can argue 20,000 was an adult ride in fantasyland

I don't mind if this roller coaster isn't as strong as some of the others. Disney is making rides for people of all ages. As long as it is themed well, people will go on it regardless of how intense it is. (see: Peter Pan's Flight, Winnie the Pooh, BLSRS)

While it would be great to some grand e-ticket behind the castle, I'll take what I can get.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom