DVC worth it? Thoughts?

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Original Poster
Is the DVC worth it?
I want to know from some of the members, I guess I'd like to hear the pros AND cons, something you won't get during a sales spiel.

We've been going to WDW the last 3 years
We stay for 8 days 7 nights,
We usually spend between 4 - 5,000 for the trip room (moderate resort), tickets with DDP, and flight, and rental car included.

I'd like to go more times during the year, but I'm trying to figure out if the
DVC will allow me some sort of savings or convenience to do this?

If this is too complicated to explain let me know - again, I guess I am just looking for an insiders angle, not from someone trying to sell me something.

Thanks!

devoy1701

Is the DVC worth it?
I want to know from some of the members, I guess I'd like to hear the pros AND cons, something you won't get during a sales spiel.

We've been going to WDW the last 3 years
We stay for 8 days 7 nights,
We usually spend between 4 - 5,000 for the trip room (moderate resort), tickets with DDP, and flight, and rental car included.

I'd like to go more times during the year, but I'm trying to figure out if the
DVC will allow me some sort of savings or convenience to do this?

If this is too complicated to explain let me know - again, I guess I am just looking for an insiders angle, not from someone trying to sell me something.

Thanks!

might not seem worth it up front...but in the long run yeah...once you pay off that 17k principle...you're maintanence fees are only about $700 a year...whether you stay at WDW, DL, DLP, HKDL, TDL...or a non Disney vacation...

If I wasn't finishing up through college right now I would buy into it...we usually stay at Wilderness Lodge when we're out there which runs us $225/night with our passholder discounts...I just can't afford the every month expense of paying down the DVC until I'm done with college...but I am expecting to buy in within a year or 2...the specials they're offering right now are pretty great...one free year of points, and $4 discount off the current point rate...not as good of a deal as you would have gotten if you bought in 10 years ago...but still a good deal if you go regularly and plan to keep going regularly...

EDIT: and to answer your questions...the standard 120 point 17k package usually allows for 8 nights of deluxe accomodations each year...you could get more out of that if you travel during non-peak times or if you do Sunday through Thursday Stays... if you did it right you could probably get up to 15 days out of your points each year.

:wave:

slappy magoo

Hotel rooms aren't getting any cheaper. Even factoring in promotional deals, because each year passes, they usually become more expensive too.
Even if you're the type of person who always gets the most ridiculous deals imagineable (and always will), at some point DVC membership will balance out (comparatively speaking) and you'll start coming out ahead. How soon that is depends on lots of factors - when you go, where you stay, what days of the week, what size room or what type of view, etc.

You have to start off with at least 160 points to buy in. Certain times of year, that'll get you 2 weeks in a studio in Old Key West, and almost 2 weeks in a standard view studio @ the Boardwalk. During that time you could get a free dining promotion offer, but of course there's no guarantee that promotion will continue, or that you'll be able to take advantage of it. Maybe that season is bad for you to travel & it's a moot point; so you look at other times & higher rates.

Check out the point charts, non-members can find'em on sites like the timeshare store. That'll give you a better idea if DVC is right for you.

Phonedave

You are a pretty good fit for the "DVC profile" - so far.

As others have said - take a look at the point charts.

If you can plan your vacation 11 months out, then that is really good

If you can plan it 9 months out, still pretty good

If you cant plan at least 6 months out, then unless you go during the slow times, it will be difficult. However I have booked a number of times on 3 weeks notice.

The "average" payback for someone who pays cash up front for a DVC membership is about 8 years. The more you finanace, the further out that break even point.

=dave

bears163

It is only worth it if you plan on using it just about every year. If you dont care about staying at a value resort then no it is not worth it. but if you like the deluxe resorts then go for it. We have been members for 4 years. I have kept track on the amount of money we ahve spent so far as to what our rooms would have cost if we paid cash & we are ahead of that amount. but dont expect to get any of the deals disney gives out. like free dinning plans. DVC memebers do not get that perk. Like others have said look at the point charts for the different reports. also look at the maintanence fees for each one. they also very & you will be paying that for the lenght of your contract too, so that is something to take a look into. We started out with 160 points but added 110 last year.

CatsMeow

When we purchased DVC in 1992, our guide explained that it was a perfect fit for someone who visited WDW at least every 2 years. We go every year, sometimes twice, especially if we get a great airfare deal. We were deluxe resort visitors for awhile, but the prices just got too high, so we switched over to the moderates when they first opened (Caribbean Beach). We love the moderates and think they are a great compromise. We have stayed at All-Star Sports (when it first opened for two nights), but frankly, were not wild about it, although I can see how it would be a great answer for those who want to stay at Disney and otherwise could not. And my nephews loved it!

It took us awhile to understand how DVC works, but it has been an excellent purchase for us and we have enjoyed it immensely. We normally stay at our home resort, although we have stayed at some of the other DVC properties and are planning a two-night stay at BLT this August. We paid off our loan quite a while back and now only have maintenance fees each year, which we pay on a monthly basis. We think it was a great decision and have never regretted it. If WDW is a destination you want to continue to visit, it is definitely something I would pursue further. I have found the guides to be excellent and from our experience there was no hard-sell. OKW sold itself to us. :)

Cal 14

Here is what I tell people... (a little long)

My wife and I find value it membership, but it's not for everybody. The difference between being a DVC member or not is in the quality of the accommodations.

This past January, we stayed at two non-DVC resorts and two DVC resorts (yes, it was a bit hectic). One of the non-DVC resorts was an All-Star Resort. There was a stark contrast. The All-Star Resort was a madhouse with large school groups and other kids running around. There's also only one caffeteria-style place to eat. The DVC resorts are much more subdued and relaxed. The general facilities at a DVC resort (lobby, amount of staff, restaurants, grounds, etc.) are just at a generally higher level than non-DVC value resorts (although I thought that the Coronado Springs Resort was nice, too). In our opinion, the Beach Club and Boardwalk DVC resorts simply have the best location in all of WDW. They are walking distance from Epcot (about a 5-minute walk) or even Hollywood Studios (~20 minutes from Boardwalk and ~25 from Beach Club, if you wanted the excercise).

You must understand that in addition to paying for your membership, you pay annually for its continued use (dues include property taxes which we write off annually). For the basic membership, dues are about $700. Think about this, though... if you were to spend a week at an All-Star Resort, you'd probably spend about $700-800 on lodging alone. If you are smart about your membership, you can skip the weekend stays like we do (or stay at the least point-expensive Old Key West Resort) and conceivably get two weeks at WDW at much nicer locations. Many times, we use those weekends to visit Univeral Studios or the Kennedy Space Center and just pay $100 a night at some off-site hotel.

We are taking a Disney Cruise this fall. If we were to pay for it, it'd cost us over $2000, but it's actually only going to cost us about 1 1/2 year's membership allottment! My friend saw some pictures I posted from the Animal Kingdom Lodge and told me he wanted to take his family there. To get the same type of room we got, he will have to spend about $450/night! By comparison we stayed there four nights and only used about 1/4 year's allottment! We've been members since 2002 and have gone on 6 weeklong trips. On three of those trips we've been able to bring friends and family with us and we still have had plenty of points. We are taking family with us this fall, too (although, we are giving up any major trips for next year while we try for our 2nd child). The flexibility has allowed us to do this because of the banking and borrowing system.

Additionally, the service we have received has been very helpful. There are a few discounts that you get like at restaurants, good both at WDW and at the Disneyland Resort in California (which is where I live). Going through the DVC system, I was able to secure our Disney Dining Plan correctly, whereas going through the regular WDW system I'm not sure I would have been able to get it set up at all ("That's the difference between the DVC and regular WDW!" a DVC castmember told me).

Also, when you choose to travel outside of the WDW, a lot of the guesswork is removed regarding the quality of your accomodations. We have used it to visit Pennsylvania and Hawaii and have been pleased both times. Actually, when I tried to talk them into allowing me to stay at another condo place (keep in mind that almost anywhere you'd stay with the DVC is technically a condo) that was a part of another, but related, system, I was told that they hadn't verified the quality of the location so they couldn't allow me to book there.

The bottom line is that you get to stay in some pretty nice places for the same or less money than if you were to go it alone. Yes, there is the large upfront cost, but if you want quality and plan on taking yearly (or even every other year and not necessarily at WDW) you may find value in it.

DVC Mike

There was a lot of discussion on this topic in the [thread=266249]Does DVC Membership Make Sense?[/thread] thread.

As you can probably tell by the number of DVC resorts I own at, I am a firm believer that DVC is worth it for me!

DVCMikeHomes6_500x100_M.jpg

SplashMtn.

re

Im 17, and my parents bought it last year. The guy who sold it to us was all nice and "gung ho" and told us ITS THE BEST INVESTMENT EVER! Youve probebly Paus this off Already seeing as how you visit so frequently!" So of course they ought it, and now all I hear every night is how bad of a purchase it was, and we cant afford it, but we cant turn back now. =[ The good thing is tho, you do go on a lot of disney vacations, whether you can afford it or not :x

slappy magoo

Im 17, and my parents bought it last year. The guy who sold it to us was all nice and "gung ho" and told us ITS THE BEST INVESTMENT EVER! Youve probebly Paus this off Already seeing as how you visit so frequently!" So of course they ought it, and now all I hear every night is how bad of a purchase it was, and we cant afford it, but we cant turn back now. =[ The good thing is tho, you do go on a lot of disney vacations, whether you can afford it or not :x

If your folks are finding it hard to keep up with DVC - I don't know if they're financing their payment, or just talking about maintenance fees, but it doesn't really matter, if money's tight then money's tight - they can always "cut their losses" and sell their share. They might lose money, especially in this economy, but then they'll be out.

Phonedave

1) As was said, it can be sold, maybe for a loss, but it can be sold.

2) You know the costs up front. Nothing is hidden. You have your finance costs (if any) and your maintence fees, which go up every year, but by no more than a certain amount. As with any major purchase, you should look at the numbers, and if you can't afford it, no matter how much you want WANT to buy it, the right move is to walk away.

I really hope everything turns out OK with your parents. This is a bad time to be saddled with payments that one has trouble making.

-dave

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
I think DVC has been a great investment for me. I only stay at DVC resorts and have enjoyed every stay. PRO - The total amount of points assinged to the DVC resorts can never change so the "price" in points remains fixed. CON - If you stay outside the DVC resort the amount of points needed can go up each year. So I think that it is a great deal if you staff at DVC and not such a great deal outside of it.

foreverbelle

for my husband and i...the easy answer is yes. before the DVC my husband never ever took vacations. because no one made him. Now thanks to DVC we actually go and enjoy ourselves for at least a week....

littlestar

If you usually stay in deluxe resorts on property and go light on weekends, it can save you some money. We found after more than 7 years of being members that we were getting pretty tired of staying in studios and wanted larger units when vacationing in Orlando. The upfront cost and maintenance fees for the larger DVC units was just too much money so I started investigating other timeshare systems on Tugbbs.com (timeshare users group) and bought an every other year Marriott timeshare for around $2,400.

Now we stay at DVC usually once a year on DVC points and stay in roomy 2 and 3 bedrooms at Marriott Vacation Club for our other Orlando trips (and trips elsewhere around the country). Buying our resale Marriott also gave us access to Interval International's (exchange company) low-cost cash Getaways. Sometimes we book cash Getaways for less than $60 a night for a 2 bedroom.

With all the major brands (Starwood which is Sheraton/Westin, Disney, Marriott, Hyatt, and Hilton) in the vacation ownership arena, there are lots of choices out there. I've found a combination of some DVC points and ownership with one of the other big name brand timeshare companies works best for our family value wise.

Computer Magic

Remember this is a 50 year pre paid Disney vacation. I wouldn't call it an investment. It "might" save you money but there is nothing of montary vaule after 50 years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom