DVC Website

correcaminos

This is surprising…what is the advantage to buying DVC right now? The perks are not good and the costs are high.
It's resale, not direct. So prices seem okay to me. No way I'd do direct. My kid loves BRV and we could stay more easily. With the refurb coming on murphy beds vs sofas we could do spring break more.

Nottamus

Like posted up above somewhere about digital DVC cards, it’s like Disney didn’t put a bunch of thought into it and just made it happen

we are grandfathered in resale Owners and
There’s a glitch DVC fully knows about to where we are set up to rcv no DVC discount on magic mobile card

no castmember we talked to on phone could fix it, we just kept getting referred to an IT address we were supposed to email, and even THEY responded with

“we’re working on it”

seems like a plastic blue card would have been easier …..

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Like posted up above somewhere about digital DVC cards, it’s like Disney didn’t put a bunch of thought into it and just made it happen

we are grandfathered in resale Owners and
There’s a glitch DVC fully knows about to where we are set up to rcv no DVC discount on magic mobile card

no castmember we talked to on phone could fix it, we just kept getting referred to and IT address we were supposed to email, and even THEY responded with

“we’re working on it”

seems like a plastic blue card would have been easier …..
The brochure included with the magazine was clown shoes

WDWYankee15

Throw in SSR and Aulani (aka I bought there only never to stay there) and there is your issue. The bungalows and cabins are nothing in terms of points compared to many buying where they won't want to stay. We're talking 1% of points vs 15-20% (I do not have my numbers for exact breakdown on me). With every resort they add, the numbers for bungalows and cabins diminish.
I don't think the sale of Aulani is mentioned enough in regards to its impact on DVC at WDW. They market the heck out of it at WDW and discounted prices to entice buyers to invest there, even when they had properties at WDW to sell. Many owners of Aulani will never or rarely go there, especially if they are East Coast US residents. They were sold on the idea of going to Hawaii at some point over the life of the contract, but "that doesn't really matter because with DVC 'flexibility' is the name of the game." "Stay where you want, when you want, in the type of accommodations you want."

That is a lot of points hanging out with people looking to book WDW DVC resorts at 7 months. Many of those individuals bought when "low point contracts" were available too. So that is a huge crunch on studios and 7 month window.

Lastly, remember that the idea of of DVC being sold as "Stay where you want, when you want, in the type of accommodations you want" really goes out the window when lots of owners are all clamoring for the same periods of time. Points are sold based upon the whole year, but the vast majority of owners want to use them at specific times of the year. This too creates a crunch.

All this adds up to the 7 month window, especially for those looking for studios, a massive crunch. This is why you buy where you want to stay.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Points are sold based upon the whole year, but the vast majority of owners want to use them at specific times of the year.
The membership does this to themselves.

What Disney should be doing is aggressively managing the points charts to smooth out the peaks and valleys of demand. It shouldn't be impossible to book a certain room in October and extremely easy to book the exact same room in July. The cheap seasons are too cheap and the expensive seasons are too expensive. But every time Disney makes a move to adjust the points charts, the membership has a temper tantrum and bullies them into reversing course.

WDWYankee15

The PVB studios actually are the problem along with the low buy in. The bungalows are a red herring. Let me explain why. They are booked and booked to average ish capacity usually. The problem was when PVB was sold it was a 50 point buy in. The issue? People who bought at PVB often cannot afford PVB. My short 3 night stay is 75 points in March for a standard view. My 1 night in Nov on a week day was 19 points (last minute trip, was going to stay offsite until I saw it come up). If you have even 100 points that does not get you far.
This is also absolutely correct. The math just doesn't work out well if you were to go and think about it or experience DVC ownership for awhile. However, that is not what many people did that bought in the "low contract point" era. They were purchases made rashly, see a kiosk in the park and being hooked by a DVC salesperson.

I will say that the goals of DVC and their management sometimes get misaligned with the sales staff. Remember they are working on commission and would/will say what they need to to make a sale. I have heard this one a bunch of times, having the 10 or so "value" studios at AKL allowed them to tell prospective buyers about how they could save thousands over the contract and have a week long stay every year, two years, or three years depending on the number of points they got on their still "low point contract." Reality is they are never getting a week long stay in one of those extremely limited rooms at 7 months. So quick sales and empty promises lead to problems. Remember the sales people where not lying. Its was not a lie, they could do that with their points. However reality tells you its not going to happen and there are likely hundreds of people that bought looking to do the exact same thing.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't think the sale of Aulani is mentioned enough in regards to its impact on DVC at WDW. They market the heck out of it at WDW and discounted prices to entice buyers to invest there, even when they had properties at WDW to sell. Many owners of Aulani will never or rarely go there, especially if they are East Coast US residents. They were sold on the idea of going to Hawaii at some point over the life of the contract, but "that doesn't really matter because with DVC 'flexibility' is the name of the game." "Stay where you want, when you want, in the type of accommodations you want."

That is a lot of points hanging out with people looking to book WDW DVC resorts at 7 months. Many of those individuals bought when "low point contracts" were available too. So that is a huge crunch on studios and 7 month window.

Lastly, remember that the idea of of DVC being sold as "Stay where you want, when you want, in the type of accommodations you want" really goes out the window when lots of owners are all clamoring for the same periods of time. Points are sold based upon the whole year, but the vast majority of owners want to use them at specific times of the year. This too creates a crunch.

All this adds up to the 7 month window, especially for those looking for studios, a massive crunch. This is why you buy where you want to stay.
Aulani was built specially for the Japanese market…which got really messed up around the same time as Fukushima…

as you said…to dump the points, they sell them to the wrong people…

it was NOT meant to be sold in block to people from Boston that want to stay at boardwalk in October or the poly in April.

WDWYankee15

The membership does this to themselves.

What Disney should be doing is aggressively managing the points charts to smooth out the peaks and valleys of demand. It shouldn't be impossible to book a certain room in October and extremely easy to book the exact same room in July. The cheap seasons are too cheap and the expensive seasons are too expensive. But every time Disney makes a move to adjust the points charts, the membership has a temper tantrum and bullies them into reversing course.
Agreed. But the temper tantrums are somewhat well founded as one should have bought their contract based upon what they believe their travel habits would be. If they change the charts to dramatically, the person who bought 200 points because that is what they needed for a year trip at their home resort during X times of year in X accommodations, does have a right to feel upset. This is the whole conundrum they are in. Trying the adjust to fix their errors causes other issues. It is why shortsighted practices of the past will haunt them forevermore. Damned if they do and damned if they don't.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Agreed. But the temper tantrums are somewhat well founded as one should have bought their contract based upon what they believe their travel habits would be. If they change the charts to dramatically, the person who bought 200 points because that is what they needed for a year trip at their home resort during X times of year in X accommodations, does have a right to feel upset. This is the whole conundrum they are in. Trying the adjust to fix their errors causes other issues. It is why shortsighted practices of the past will haunt them forevermore. Damned if they do and damned if they don't.
DVC has always been marketed based on flexibility. If a member bought points based on X resort at X time of year in X accommodations every year, that's nobody's fault but the member's.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Totally agree with that too.

one of the common pro-DDC/DVC defenses is “they knew what they bought”. When the reality is they were kicking to goalposts in a certain location…you move them and it’s 100% human to get ed.

I keep harping on the AP situation. That is a requirement for me with DVC. It enriches Disney…it doesn’t rob it. I’m talking full raised prices…not “discount”.

I am full aware that I have no contractual rights to it…but it’s a timeshare that’s value is in wdw and the APs were highly successful for 40 years and still are.
So if slappy Chappie wants to decide “we’re done with that…” there will be a lot of hell and financial loses that will hold the stock back longterm. Burn, baby, burn

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
DVC has always been marketed based on flexibility. If a member bought points based on X resort at X time of year in X accommodations every year, that's nobody's fault but the member's.
I don’t think yankee is arguing this in a court case…he’s saying that perception is reality for a lot of consumers.

no where moreso than Disney…where it’s completely disposable and they lean in on selling their reputation more and more over the Product quality with every passing day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom