DVC Website

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Again DVC/DVD has no control over parks like that. Though people who are DVC and have APs are not the higher spenders traditionally.
In the aggregate they are.

there’s a duality that people tend to dismiss on forums such as these…it’s easy to say “Disney wants the one timers who spend more in a week”

correct…if economics were dependable and more money always flows. But what do travel locations need when things are bleak? A backbone.

these are all longterm patterns…set in stone.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yeah the DVC points-whales strike me as the "owners locker, boil chicken in the room and brew your own coffee" type of people.
Well…you’re talking about the oldies that bought a ton at okw cheap.

…I’m not talking about “point whales”…I’m talking about the more “modern travelers” who burn cash.

the ones who say “a kitchen…that’s nice…I’ll be at the bar”

I resemble that remark

correcaminos

Yeah the DVC points-whales strike me as the "owners locker, boil chicken in the room and brew your own coffee" type of people.
Some of them are. Some are likely in the middle like we are. A small meal or two in the room a day, but we don't shy away from eating in parks either. More importantly the drinkers stock their OL well so they avoid those charges. As a non drinker they don't get me anyway with that lol. But there are many penny pinchers out there for sure who are DVC.

Of course there are big spenders too but my guess is they are more rare.

We've been DVC for 18 years which in itself is actually longer than average for owners - which is around 7-10 years. I can tell you DVC brings in regular income but we are not the ones they want to keep happy. Especially the small owners who bought resale. They love the finances people though. Lots of good money to be made off of some of those. But they don't need to lure us in as they have us.

correcaminos

In the aggregate they are.

there’s a duality that people tend to dismiss on forums such as these…it’s easy to say “Disney wants the one timers who spend more in a week”

correct…if economics were dependable and more money always flows. But what do travel locations need when things are bleak? A backbone.

these are all longterm patterns…set in stone.
No they aren't. They are not the ones who traditionally spend most on food, merchandise, or other extras. Disney makes way more per family for non-AP non-DVC people who come once or once every few years and blow way more than I do a year even with dues and AP figured in. This has been discussed by those in the know more than me and I believe it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well, we didn't consider it "loaning" money to Disney, since when we activate them, they won't expire until next March, so we'll be getting at least 2 if not 3 trips on them. We had a feeling that the sale of APs was going to stop at some point, and we did not want to be locked out.
Yes, you could say it is a commitment to them, but we still see the value, so have no issue with it.
Again…I can’t disagree with anything you say…

I just don’t support the “buy now! supplies are limited!” With this product. To each their own.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No they aren't. They are not the ones who traditionally spend most on food, merchandise, or other extras. Disney makes way more per family for non-AP non-DVC people who come once or once every few years and blow way more than I do a year even with dues and AP figured in. This has been discussed by those in the know more than me and I believe it.
That’s a completely different argument. I’m not debating who the easiest mark is on a given day or time…that’s obvious. That’s not the same “basket” of customer.

different strokes.

I'm not too versed in these DVC “budgeters” that you describe…I am versed in the ones that throw money…however I have no doubt that the two groups exist.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We’re having two entitely different discussions…I’m not comparing people who come twice a year on 460 points to a one timer or every 5 years…

neither does Disney. At least the intelligent ones don’t. It remains to be seen if they have any of those left?

correcaminos

That’s a completely different argument. I’m not debating who the easiest mark is on a given day or time…that’s obvious. That’s not the same “basket” of customer.

different strokes.

I'm not too versed in these DVC “budgeters” that you describe…I am versed in the ones that throw money…however I have no doubt that the two groups exist.
I help run a DVC group on FB that has over 25k members. I'm am versed in a wide variety of what is discussed and how people vacation. Those big spenders? They're a rare bird. The budgeters are far more common now.

I realize I put myself in the middle but as one who does the APs vs daily tickets, I do tours and dining of all kinds (including specialty/VIP levels though shut out for spring break). I looked at our Disney spending while deciding what credit card to make our primary yesterday and I spend way more than some in the last few years. Otherwise, some dining and some merchandise are it. Those budgeters are the ones hurting now and complaining about the restrictions for booking and yet not at all about APs - for a reason. What is the average DVCer has changed big time.

We’re having two entitely different discussions…I’m not comparing people who come twice a year on 460 points to a one time
or every 5 years…

neither does Disney. At least the intelligent ones don’t. It remains to be seen if they have any of those left?
You really are out of touch with a good number of who DVC people are now I think. I'm also not sure what you are getting at with point amounts too. There are many DVC people who are budgeters and come once every two or so years who do cook entirely in rooms. It's changed.

You do DVC your way and obviously not enough to have an AP, but your way isn't all what others do. They may not spend as you do.

Last edited:

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Some of them are. Some are likely in the middle like we are. A small meal or two in the room a day, but we don't shy away from eating in parks either. More importantly the drinkers stock their OL well so they avoid those charges. As a non drinker they don't get me anyway with that lol. But there are many penny pinchers out there for sure who are DVC.

Of course there are big spenders too but my guess is they are more rare.

We've been DVC for 18 years which in itself is actually longer than average for owners - which is around 7-10 years. I can tell you DVC brings in regular income but we are not the ones they want to keep happy. Especially the small owners who bought resale. They love the finances people though. Lots of good money to be made off of some of those. But they don't need to lure us in as they have us.
Having been DVC for 15 years, we are in the upper middle of spenders. We typically go for a 1 bedroom since we like the king bed and the other room amenities. We don't cook at all, so spend money on food and beverage. We kinda split between QS and TS for food. We made 6 ADRs for our upcoming trip of 9 days. We try to leave some days open for whatever we feel like. As far as merch, we do buy souvenirs each trip, but I admit that we spend less now than in the past, though still a good amount.

correcaminos

Having been DVC for 15 years, we are in the upper middle of spenders. We typically go for a 1 bedroom since we like the king bed and the other room amenities. We don't cook at all, so spend money on food and beverage. We kinda split between QS and TS for food. We made 6 ADRs for our upcoming trip of 9 days. We try to leave some days open for whatever we feel like. As far as merch, we do buy souvenirs each trip, but I admit that we spend less now than in the past, though still a good amount.
We do 2 bedrooms for longer trips and studios or 1 bedrooms for shorter. Though with the queen Murphy beds we might do 1 bedrooms more often. My March trip has 2 ADRs for 4 days. My November had none, but I was solo and with the weather intentionally ate outdoors a lot (gorgeous weather). Past June we had ADRs maybe 5 or 6 of 8 days. We almost always do breakfast in the room as I am not a big breakfast eater. Granola or a bagel with PB is my go to. If we do tours we obviously spend way more. Otherwise we don't spend. One thing for my kid if he wants it. For me a hoodie if I find a good one. Really we go for experiences more than stuff though. But compared to my friend who joined us in June and bought 4 lightsabers, we definitely are not spendy lol

I know I'm definitely different than those who budget. There was a big whine fest recently about Space 220 prices. I'm like I cannot get in to talk about it lol

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
We do 2 bedrooms for longer trips and studios or 1 bedrooms for shorter. Though with the queen Murphy beds we might do 1 bedrooms more often. My March trip has 2 ADRs for 4 days. My November had none, but I was solo and with the weather intentionally ate outdoors a lot (gorgeous weather). Past June we had ADRs maybe 5 or 6 of 8 days. We almost always do breakfast in the room as I am not a big breakfast eater. Granola or a bagel with PB is my go to. If we do tours we obviously spend way more. Otherwise we don't spend. One thing for my kid if he wants it. For me a hoodie if I find a good one. Really we go for experiences more than stuff though. But compared to my friend who joined us in June and bought 4 lightsabers, we definitely are not spendy lol

I know I'm definitely different than those who budget. There was a big whine fest recently about Space 220 prices. I'm like I cannot get in to talk about it lol
We also do 2 bedrooms when we bring one of our sons and their wife (or a grand villa when we bring both sons and wives), but like you, studio or 1 bedroom depending on the trip. We're at the Poly for our next trip, since it's just the 2 of us. We're lucky that we don't need to budget, but spend what we want. We've done a few tours in the past, and really want to do the Wild Africa Trek someday.

We'll eat at Space 220 eventually, but it isn't a must do anytime soon. The prices are a bit high, but to be expected, and not a deal breaker for us.

correcaminos

We also do 2 bedrooms when we bring one of our sons and their wife (or a grand villa when we bring both sons and wives), but like you, studio or 1 bedroom depending on the trip. We're at the Poly for our next trip, since it's just the 2 of us. We're lucky that we don't need to budget, but spend what we want. We've done a few tours in the past, and really want to do the Wild Africa Trek someday.

We'll eat at Space 220 eventually, but it isn't a must do anytime soon. The prices are a bit high, but to be expected, and not a deal breaker for us.
We're a family of 3. Married couple with a 14yo boy. The couches just are not comfortable and we like our space. Though reality the 1 bedrooms will be fine in the future. We sometimes bring others so that's when the 2 bed comes in handy. We'll be at PVB for March as it's just me and the kid. We have a 2 bedroom at VGF this summer though for just us 3. Feels a little much but oh well lol

I have a reservation finder for Space 220 and no luck. Crazy how hard some places are but others like The Plaza are no problem. I almost regret booking spring break as I fear it will be bad this year (we don't even have easter/passover for ours) but we'll hopefully enjoy the weather at least and do a scavenger hunt for the 50th statues.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Since this has now come (inevitably) full circle…let me ask you two:

do you engage in what their emphasis is?

as in: bars and lounges? Festivals booths at Epcot? Upsell tickets?

because that’s where I think they can really use DVC for their advantage over the traditional concerns about daily gift shop purchases or “loss” from breakfast in the rooms.

to me…worrying about “losses” over annual passes being used too much can’t be the concern. I think this is the new management trying to show off for Wall Street/establishing their dominance.

they are attempting to “break” the core clientele - easy examples Florida residents, DVC and the 2 weekers from the UK - into “accepting” the daily ticket fees. Which are a horrid ripoff all things considered based on today’s conditions.

right now it’s uncertain if they’ll “win”…but the assertion that they “lose” - especially at today’s prices - on APs is a stretch. Jsut based on logistics and experience.

some APs are there 40 days a year and spend little…those would be the local nuts…but is that really indicative of DVC?

a good question to ponder…at a minimum.

CaptainAmerica

We're a family of 3. Married couple with a 14yo boy. The couches just are not comfortable and we like our space. Though reality the 1 bedrooms will be fine in the future. We sometimes bring others so that's when the 2 bed comes in handy. We'll be at PVB for March as it's just me and the kid. We have a 2 bedroom at VGF this summer though for just us 3. Feels a little much but oh well lol
Ever since we got a king bed at home, we have a very had time going to sharing a queen on vacation. We're husband and wife with kids 7, 4, and 2. We've done two queens on some last minute trips, but our non-Disney travel is usually two standard rooms for 4 queens total. We're still new to DVC, but our most common use for the next few years will probably be my 5 plus my parents in a 2BR. My wife and I in a king, grandma and grandpa in the queens room, and the kids in the living room. That'll change once they grow out of the pull-out beds.

CaptainAmerica

they are attempting to “break” the core clientele - easy examples Florida residents, DVC and the 2 weekers from the UK - into “accepting” the daily ticket fees. Which are a horrid ripoff all things considered based on today’s conditions.
At which point I skip Walt Disney World entirely, go to Aulani in a 2BR OV every 3 years, and get my pixie dust fix from the Cruise Line.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member

Yes, yes, and yes. While we don't do an EPCOT crawl, we have done a monorail crawl at times. We love Tambu Lounge, and know most of the barkeeps. The Belle Vue Lounge is one of our favorites as well. We always plan a few days for EPCOT food browsing at the booths every trip. We always grab one of the wrist band gift cards to use on each trip. We are there pretty much always during both Food & Garden and Food & Wine every year. We've done the after hours parties as well, though most are one and done.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
At which point I skip Walt Disney World entirely, go to Aulani in a 2BR OV every 3 years, and get my pixie dust fix from the Cruise Line.
We went to Aulani a few years ago thinking it would be one and done, and now we can't wait to go back. We just had a DCL cruise in October with our younger son and his wife, so we are done with cruises until all the COVID stuff is done.

correcaminos

Ever since we got a king bed at home, we have a very had time going to sharing a queen on vacation. We're husband and wife with kids 7, 4, and 2. We've done two queens on some last minute trips, but our non-Disney travel is usually two standard rooms for 4 queens total. We're still new to DVC, but our most common use for the next few years will probably be my 5 plus my parents in a 2BR. My wife and I in a king, grandma and grandpa in the queens room, and the kids in the living room. That'll change once they grow out of the pull-out beds.
We struggle with a queen but without cats like at home, we can handle a queen okay. Prefer the king. The 1 bedrooms are problematic for the kid though. But the murphy beds vs couches are a win so we might be able to easily downgrade again since our sleep schedules are similar finally. We've been all over with rooms. I mostly did studios pre kid and 1 beds when with spouse (had way more vacation days than him) I am debating another 100 points or so but I'm in a holding pattern with Disney as it is.

because that’s where I think they can really use DVC for their advantage over the traditional concerns about daily gift shop purchases or “loss” from breakfast in the rooms.

to me…worrying about “losses” over annual passes being used too much can’t be the concern. I think this is the new management trying to show off for Wall Street/establishing their dominance.

right now it’s uncertain if they’ll “win”…but the assertion that they “lose” - especially at today’s prices - on APs is a stretch. Jsut based on logistics and experience.

some APs are there 40 days a year and spend little…those would be the local nuts…but is that really indicative of DVC?

a good question to ponder…at a minimum.
Based on what I know of the AP holders for DVC vs local AP holders, outside of MF of course it's a wash. Disney's core clientele was never AP or DVC. The European visitors get different ticket offers too and don't usually do APs as well.

I do not drink and my husband will be giving it up for health reasons. We do some booths and lounges. We do more up charges lately but that's financial reasons. Like I was shut out of a VIP tour for March. We are not the average DVCer I see though. Some will do the booths and such but many are budgeting. That's why they bought DVC to begin with. We are not Disney's big money or core they want.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom