DVC resale prices affected by the current situation ?

correcaminos

I suspect folks on the fence may be motivated to sell, maybe some folks simply need the money these days will sell, so the prices may go down, but keep in mind Disney controls the resale market through ROFR therefore there will be no crash in my opinion.

Even with all the limitations Disney placed on resale points, the resale market remains surprisingly strong.

At a glance, the lowest I saw was $105 a point for 200 points...

You will have to wait and see what does happen. Unlike some I will not be so definite in my answer. But I will say based on history of issues with travel or economics (or both) it is a lagging time when it comes to selling and points dropping. I want to say it took until 2009/2010 for us to see points in the $50s. Do I think we'll hit that low again regularly? Possibly not due to inflation alone.

But it takes a history of recession and then time after for people to sell as a whole. Many have learned to hang on to the contracts and rent out to not only recoup costs, but to make some money too.

Disstevefan1

You will have to wait and see what does happen. Unlike some I will not be so definite in my answer. But I will say based on history of issues with travel or economics (or both) it is a lagging time when it comes to selling and points dropping. I want to say it took until 2009/2010 for us to see points in the $50s. Do I think we'll hit that low again regularly? Possibly not due to inflation alone.

But it takes a history of recession and then time after for people to sell as a whole. Many have learned to hang on to the contracts and rent out to not only recoup costs, but to make some money too.

Agreed, good point, renting gets you money faster if you need it, and as you say, it's possible to make some money too..

Phonedave

No offense taken - I just can't rose color glasses around the reality.

"My guy" - yeah we all have a guy, take it for what it's worth, but he has been pretty damn good with my family's money for the last 25 years or so - has been telling me that the economy is ready to pop for the last year or so. He kept saying it is unstable the way it is, all it need is the right incident to bring it all down. When this pandemic started and the markets dropped, he called me up and said: "I hate to say this, but this is the pin that popped the balloon, and I see the markets being down for quite some time."

Phonedave

Agreed, good point, renting gets you money faster if you need it, and as you say, it's possible to make some money too..

I think we might see rental prices drop in the near future. I know that I don't think I will be back to WDW for some time, and may not be able to bank and use all of my points. I suspect there are others in the same situation. WE may have a glut of rental points hit the market when things open back up.

shand32783

Hello all! First time poster with a question and hope this is the right thread to ask this in. I have a contract at SSR (resale) and am looking for a second contract. There are a few resell sights out there and they give "averages" of what the selling contracts are going for. Is there a site where people post what they actually paid for resale points? Example: SSR listed at $104 but seller agreed to $92. Is there any place out there to see what current contracts are selling for and not just "averages"? I hope the question makes sense. I guess I could just also call and tell one of those places what my top dollar is and if there are any contracts that come in at that price they could reach out, etc. Just don't want to play the back and forth game and am really interested in what contracts actually sell for. Thanks for your time. ~Shane

nickys

Premium Member
Hello all! First time poster with a question and hope this is the right thread to ask this in. I have a contract at SSR (resale) and am looking for a second contract. There are a few resell sights out there and they give "averages" of what the selling contracts are going for. Is there a site where people post what they actually paid for resale points? Example: SSR listed at $104 but seller agreed to $92. Is there any place out there to see what current contracts are selling for and not just "averages"? I hope the question makes sense. I guess I could just also call and tell one of those places what my top dollar is and if there are any contracts that come in at that price they could reach out, etc. Just don't want to play the back and forth game and am really interested in what contracts actually sell for. Thanks for your time. ~Shane

Both Mouseowners and the DIS boards have threads where people post what they paid and whether or not it made it through ROFR. So at least you could see what kind of “going rate” each resort has that is successful. The threads may also list the asking price, not sure about that.

Club Cooloholic

Both Mouseowners and the DIS boards have threads where people post what they paid and whether or not it made it through ROFR. So at least you could see what kind of “going rate” each resort has that is successful. The threads may also list the asking price, not sure about that.
Yes, one of them also reports what the deeds filed with the county reflects per month too. Remember, the list price doesn't include all the closing costs ect, and there some places, like Fidelity have an additional fee, theybhad the lowest price per points I saw but they also had this extra fee.

Good ole google search will get you some really nice current selling prices.

Phonedave

Can someone give me a brief but "big picture" on the DVC Club and how it works exactly. TY in advance.

IF you do some searching in this forum,I am sure it has been answered, but in a nutshell

It's a timeshare. You buy in by purchasing a certain number of points. You get that many points to "Spend" on a room every year. Rooms costs different amounts of points depending on resort, size, location in the resort, and time of year. These points costs can change each year, but they cannot as a whole go up (or down) - in other words if a 1 BR unit in May goes up, something else in the resort has to go down in order to balance it out.

After you initial buy in costs there are yearly dues that you have to pay that reflect the actual costs to run the resort, they can go up or down every year (but they go up because everything gets more expensive)

Depending on where you buy, there is an expiration date on the contract. At that date, everything goes away

Now, there is a LOT more to it than the above, including perks, roles about banking and borrowing points, use years, booking windows, Classic resorts vs new resorts, direct vs. resale purchases, using points for RCI, DCL and other non DVC resorts (don't do it, there is your answer) and a whole bunch of other nuances that we can all discuss here and that you should be aware of before making a purchases.

P.S> DVC stands for Disney Vacation Club, so calling it the DVC Club is like using ATM Machine (Automated Teller Machine Machine) or asing for a meal "with au jus sauce" - With with juice sauce

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
The prices on the DISboards ROFR thread for some of the resorts this past week have been bananas. $95 AKV, $108 BWV, $75 OKW (!), $130 Poly, $115 BCV.

So yes, DVC Resale prices affected by current situation.
Someone posted a $123 Poly this morning.

I'm excited to put my first offers in this summer. It's a good time to buy.

JRWJR

Keep in mind that if this goes on too long, there may not be enough room-nights available to accommodate all the outstanding points. I don’t see much availability in September - November, which is normally one of the slowest times of the year.

Imagine if one of the DVC resorts, for example, CCV, had a major fire which closed it down for several years. What value would you give the 500 points you purchased last year. How about resale contracts at Riviera. With no place else to go, what value would they have if the building had to close for some reason?

To be honest, this is a risk that I gave no thought to when I purchased. Are we insured for this type of Force Majeure loss in our common HA insurance? Perhaps DVC elected to “self insure” for this type of loss as many large companies do. With that being said, I have to admire the way DVC seems to be handling this. But it would be very helpful, if all of the risk in this situation were transparently being disclosed, so we could all figure out our potential liability and who will bare the risk. Would you purchase a home without some insurance or, at a minimum, understanding the value of your potential losses?

BrianLo

I am admittedly looking at maybe purchasing this Fall. It's basically been a back-burner plan for the last year and a half and fortuitously is aligning with a looming bottoming.

Apart from VGC, I keep swinging back to is there any real point in looking beyond SSR contracts? I know the booking advantage. But it really comes down to is that actually important when I'm flexible, looking at off-seasons, like the idea of split-stays and frankly think SSR is actually kind of nice?

Poly would be great, even VGF, but everywhere else has at least a dollar lead on maintenance fees and that really destroys any value. But then I think SSR is quickly headed to 80$, a giant contract just sold for 76$. So that again is putting it 40$+ below any similar maintenance fee'd resorts.

nickys

Premium Member
Keep in mind that if this goes on too long, there may not be enough room-nights available to accommodate all the outstanding points. I don’t see much availability in September - November, which is normally one of the slowest times of the year.

Imagine if one of the DVC resorts, for example, CCV, had a major fire which closed it down for several years. What value would you give the 500 points you purchased last year. How about resale contracts at Riviera. With no place else to go, what value would they have if the building had to close for some reason?

To be honest, this is a risk that I gave no thought to when I purchased. Are we insured for this type of Force Majeure loss in our common HA insurance? Perhaps DVC elected to “self insure” for this type of loss as many large companies do. With that being said, I have to admire the way DVC seems to be handling this. But it would be very helpful, if all of the risk in this situation were transparently being disclosed, so we could all figure out our potential liability and who will bare the risk. Would you purchase a home without some insurance or, at a minimum, understanding the value of your potential losses?

Sept/ Oct thru to race weekend in January is the most popular time for DVC. Not for regular rooms but it is always hard to get rooms at that time. Certain categories will be walked for weeks and be gone within nano seconds of the 11 month mark. Even SSR can be hard to get at 7 months for more than a day or two.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom